This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How-To: Recessed Screen and DVD Drive

This screen is being installed in place of the original head unit, and will include a notebook tray-load DVD drive below.

Trial fit of the recessed housing constructed with 5-Ply Birch Model Aircraft Plywood 3/16" thick. It glues up quickly with medium CA.

The top is tacked with big, easily removed blobs of hot melt glue, and the bottom is secured with a couple of those nice little extra screws you have from removing the metal bracket on the back of your Lilliput. :

The curved filler pieces on the sides are to fill two bulges in the plastic panel which matched the OEM head unit which had curved sides. They would look out-of-place with the rectangular screen. The recess above will be filled also.

This picture shows the sanding done on the backside before apllying epoxy for adhesion. Sand everywhere you will apply anything that you want to stick:

Masked all of the seams on the front to keep the epoxy from bleeeding through. Epoxy sticks best, so I use a Kevlar reinforced type liberally on the backside to glue everything together and to reinforce all the wood seams previously glued with CA:

Backside after gluing. I heat the epoxy with a heat gun which lowers its viscosity and makes it flow nicely and soak into the wood well. It also cures faster:

View showing two little cavities I filled up all the way. You can't have too much strength and weight is not an issue here:

Front view after filler work with the drive and screen bezel installed:

OK here's the finished install:

Fabricator

that looks sweet!...I wish I had skills like that...time to get my game up!
    http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/170000-170999/170063_221.jpg

Comment

Man i need to get you workin on my 01 alty! Seeing ur threads makes me wish i had power tools. Oh yea.. and aptitude.
      mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
      Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
      Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

nice work, am planning on something like that but with a thin bezelt hat fits over the original one so i dont have to tamper with my screen. Keep us updated.

Comment

What kind of epoxy is that - brand, etc?
          2005 Subaru Legacy GT

AMD Sempron 3100, Biostar K8NHA PRO mobo, 512 meg DDR, WD 200 gig SATA, Opus 150, Xenarc
          JBL GTi 6.5 fr, JBL 5.25 rr, (3) JBL 75x2 & 1 1200x1 amps, PA MOFO 12 sub

Comment

Poxy Weld....got mine at Menards $12

Comment

WHAT DID you use to fill all that?
              Attached Files

Comment

I must say this is the cleanest monitor install i have seen on this forum. Looks factory. Nice job.
                2.4 celeron
                150 watt OPUS
                micro atx
                xp pro
                tv/radio tuner card
                audigy
                Dual monitor Radeon
                802.11G Mimo
                xm pcr
                dvd
                gps
                8" Lilliput touch screen
                IGuidance
                dual optimas
                battery isolator
                15" screen
                My Truck

Comment

This is the screen Altimat built for me The work is great!

Comment

Did you just cut the boards sticking out with a saw? Or did you sand them down? I'm confused how you got from the 3rd pic to the 6th pic. Awesome job, btw...the best I've seen on a recessed screen.
                    1999 Plymouth Voyager (That's right, big-pimpin' in a minivan.)
                    PC built into console
                    worklog with pics: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46359

Some of my music: http://www.myspace.com/markquestion

Comment

Originally posted by kickercivic1
                      WHAT DID you use to fill all that?
                      Just the Evercoat Metal-Glaze. Its missing some curvature so its low in the middle, but fairly flush all the way around otherwise. I think the filler is probably 1/4" thick in the middle.
                      Fabricator

Comment

Originally posted by fcc
                        Did you just cut the boards sticking out with a saw? Or did you sand them down? I'm confused how you got from the 3rd pic to the 6th pic. Awesome job, btw...the best I've seen on a recessed screen.
                        I ground and sanded it down to flush after the epoxy cured.

I should have put one more pic in there though. You do need to thoroughly sand around and taper into all of the seams before applying filler so nothing shows through later, and the seams are buried well.
                        Fabricator

Comment

So no fiber glass on this? Cool, Ive got the 3-gallon container of evercoat sitting in my garage. Now I will have something to do with it other than body work.
                          2.4 celeron
                          150 watt OPUS
                          micro atx
                          xp pro
                          tv/radio tuner card
                          audigy
                          Dual monitor Radeon
                          802.11G Mimo
                          xm pcr
                          dvd
                          gps
                          8" Lilliput touch screen
                          IGuidance
                          dual optimas
                          battery isolator
                          15" screen
                          My Truck

Comment

Originally posted by n8scstm
                            So no fiber glass on this? Cool, Ive got the 3-gallon container of evercoat sitting in my garage. Now I will have something to do with it other than body work.
                            Just remember that you can't use regular filler as an adhesive. You need a good strong structural bond between the parts before any surface filling is done or the filler will crack sooner or later.
                            Fabricator

Comment

The finish on it is also amazing...how'd you paint it?
                              1999 Plymouth Voyager (That's right, big-pimpin' in a minivan.)
                              PC built into console
                              worklog with pics: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46359

Some of my music: http://www.myspace.com/markquestion

Comment

Working...
                              X