Carputer v.2 need ideas.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carputer v.2 need ideas.

On my first attempt at ever working with fiberglass/bondo, I came across many pitfalls. In the end, I came up with this.

(pre-paint, etc..)

During that process, I was stuck in situations like this that I don't want to find myself in again...

The final product was...

And.. I hate it. So I'm starting over.. This time I have a better working knowledge of fiberglass/bondo from the start. My question is, how would some of you go about restarting this project.

As you see, this is going into a 2001 Audi A4. Last time I removed the double din radio, removed the ash tray, and cut the HVAC down smaller and angled it in the fiberglass. I want to avoid that whole process this time. I've purchased another stock HVAC and refuse to cut it. The screen will be going into the double dine hole where the radio was.

Here's my dilemma... I've removed the face from the stock radio and wrapped it in fleece to make a mold. Is this the best idea? I want to have something ready to fit in the hole without molding it while it's in the car. The other problem is keeping it secure. On the last project, I made metal brackets that were hidden unfder the top trim plate. I'm thinking maybe now to mold the screen right to the top trim piece. Would this work? Would it be hard to line up perfectly?

I'm still an amateur with fabrication so I need some serious feedback.

TIA!

what did u do to the other peice i might have a friend who might want to take it off of yours hands.
    2001 Acura CL traded for a 2006 Subaru Legacy GT
    7" Lilliput Touchscreen
    NANO-ITX+m1-atx
    512 DDRsodimm
    60g SATA Laptop HD
    4x Apple DVDslot
    digimoto OBDii
    mS GPS
    mini BT keyboard
    relocated HU faceplate

Comment

in dash monitor ?

Comment

do it to the trim piece, dude. You've seen mine. It rocks.
        I gluegunned my screen bezel in there temporarily, then epoxied the trim piece to the bezel. Then taped it in position while it cured. came out perfectly lined up.
        Car: 2000 Audi A4 Avant 1.8t
        Carputer 2.0: removed. Back to stock.

Comment

Originally posted by brrman
          do it to the trim piece, dude. You've seen mine. It rocks.
          I gluegunned my screen bezel in there temporarily, then epoxied the trim piece to the bezel. Then taped it in position while it cured. came out perfectly lined up.
          The problem with that is I've fiberglassed the bezel into the last project and doubt I'll be able to get it out without breaking it.

Comment

hmm - you can buy a new Xenarc bezel one in the mp3.com store for 25 bucks. Thats where I got my 2nd one.

Dunno about lilliput bezels tho
            Car: 2000 Audi A4 Avant 1.8t
            Carputer 2.0: removed. Back to stock.

Comment

I think you can get the lilliput bezel for DigitalWW, try to pm them or send them an email.

BTW The first version didn't look that bad.
              Installed
              Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400
              512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w
              Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010
              [00000000000001100010-] 98% Completed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

I'd just cut a piece of thick (1/4") model aircraft birch plywood to perfectly fit that opening. Start with a card stock template. The radius the edges, mold in your Lilliput bezel, seal it and paint it. If it needs a slight curvature build that with filler. I would leave the seam above and below it too.
                Fabricator

Comment

Originally posted by brrman
                  hmm - you can buy a new Xenarc bezel one in the mp3.com store for 25 bucks. Thats where I got my 2nd one.

Dunno about lilliput bezels tho
                  Is this how you did it?

Sorry for the paint version, I'm at work.

See Attached.

The Brown being the cardboard, and green being the filler.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X