Epoxy for PLexiglass

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epoxy for PLexiglass

what is a good epoxy for plexiglass? I am about to try a new install and nex to creat a box shaped bezel and plexi glass is my best bet for now. I just am not sure what epoxy to get?
    You can still have something if you have nothing

I used this from Tap Plastics. I also bought this to apply it with.

It works GREAT!!
    Current Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Nitro

Second Vehicle: Sold it :( 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab

First Vehicle: 2003 Ford Ranger

Comment

more important than the epoxy you use will be the surface prep. It is very difficult for glues to get a good grip on very smooth surfaces. You can rough up the bonding surfaces with sandpaper or drill small holes for the epxoy to seep into.

Comment

I do not know if I remember this correctly but somehow I think chloroform is good to join two pieces of plexiglass together. put those two pieces together as you want to have them and aply chloroform using syringe on its joint. Let chloroform leak to joint and wait for few minutes. Just do not breathe too deaply

Comment

Weld-On #4 or #16 works wonder. MEK also works well too and you can buy it from HomeDepot, Lowes in paint section.
          2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
          89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
          Y2K Accord Dell GX150
          RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
          EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Originally posted by mpattonm
            I do not know if I remember this correctly but somehow I think chloroform is good to join two pieces of plexiglass together. put those two pieces together as you want to have them and aply chloroform using syringe on its joint. Let chloroform leak to joint and wait for few minutes. Just do not breathe too deaply

I believe you meant Acetone, but that method doesn't provide as good a weld as acrylic cement does when applied in the same manner.

Comment

Yeah, weld-on rocks. It literally melts the two pieces together. The plexi will break before the seams. I built my case with that. The needle applicator is a must.

I know weld-on contains MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) because they smell the same...not sure if thats all it is though.
              G945GLCF2 | 512MB RAM | 160GB HD | Holux GPS w/ Routis | XMPCR w/ TOSLINK mod | Audigy 2 NX | | Xenarc 700TSV |Opus 150W PSU.

Comment

Originally posted by mpattonm
                Isnt chloroform the stuff they use in movies to knock people out?

Comment

Originally posted by tbird2340

It works GREAT!!

I used this same stuff I got it from a local Plastics distributer as well as some pexi scraps, scraps to them are 14" and under made a kickin plexi box for my nehmiah. This stuf is what the pro's use and you can't break a joint the plastic will give first. As faa as surface prep it is virtualy nill just make sure it's free of oil.
                  Epia M1000 1.2gig, Toshiba 40gb HD, Itronix 60gb HD, 512ram,PCR, Audigy2zs, 2 Xenarc 7" , FRODOPLAYER Trying RR frontend , [email protected]/w Harrison labs amps & Caps, Focal & MB-Quart midrange, Diamond Audio D6 Subs, Mb Quart Tweets, 2-Audiocontrol three.1 !

Comment

Lets get a bump on this forum. took a bit of searching to find this thread. i didnt want to start a new one if there was one already here....

id like to know what other people had success with..where can you get those saringe applicators besides offline? i didnt see any at my local HD...perhaps Lowes? I tried a loctite epoxy.....and my box stayed together till i started mounting stuff...that sucked lol.

i also heard the word "Araldite" mentioned in my searching...anyone?
                    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c8.../positions.gif

Comment

you can find them locallly, but probably only at plastics speciality shop. I suppose you can flip the yellow pages to plastics and start making calls.
                      G945GLCF2 | 512MB RAM | 160GB HD | Holux GPS w/ Routis | XMPCR w/ TOSLINK mod | Audigy 2 NX | | Xenarc 700TSV |Opus 150W PSU.

Comment

hmm...maybe at ratshack.
                        http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c8.../positions.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tbird2340 View Post

It works GREAT!!

Mind giving a name for what "this" is, please? it just takes me to the main site.

Comment

Originally posted by tbird2340 View Post

It works GREAT!!

What is the name of "this"? The link just takes me to the main site.

(sorry if this is a double post I tried once before and it's not showing up for me)

Comment

hypo-type solvent cement applicator

Comment

Working...
                              X