Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Suggestions for Bondo'ing my LCD please.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Suggestions for Bondo'ing my LCD please.

Ok. I just got an extra Bezel and an empty Xenarc casing and I need some help.. The problem is that the Xenarc is a hair wider then the opening of my bezel. I had the Lilli which would have fit perfect but it SUCKED so I bought a Xenarc instead. Here are some pics:

I am thinking of putting the LCD behind the Bezel and bondo'ing it.. I'm not sure if it will be TOO recessed though.. I'm hoping people have some opinions on what I can do..

EDIT: I'm stupid and just realized that the buttons wouldn't be accessible.. Anywho.. Please help. If more pictures would be helpful let me know.

Thanks!!

Current Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Nitro

Second Vehicle: Sold it :( 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab

First Vehicle: 2003 Ford Ranger

Have you seen this post:
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37174

Theres pics of various stages of bondoing a xenarc into an explorer/ranger bezel. Not sure if its helpfull to you at all, but its food for thought/ideas.

-Kevin
    2004 Mystichrome Cobra Install: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...a-install.html

Comment

Turn it on and place the screen behind the bezel. Is it too deep? If not, put it there. Glare is a beotch, and recessing it really helps to cut down on that during the day.

Comment

Problem is, just placing it behind there doesn't look as custom and looks kinda cheap IMO. But that would only bother someone who wanted it to look pretty slick.

Your problem here is really pretty simple, not really a problem at all...lol

Cut out the lip of the dash piece that's in teh way, simple. Get some stuff called "Plastic weld". It works like a 2 part Epoxy but is made for plastic. Once you have te screen lined up the way you want (just the two pieces butted up to each other) put that epoxy on the back side to lock it in place. Once it's kicked, lay a few layers of glass on the gaps on the sides. once that's kicked sand it down a bit then bondo and sand. Done. Quite a simple process, just have to know what the process is first of all...lol

See the attached pic for an idea:
        Jan Bennett
        FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Originally posted by Homebrew
          Have you seen this post:
          http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37174

Theres pics of various stages of bondoing a xenarc into an explorer/ranger bezel. Not sure if its helpfull to you at all, but its food for thought/ideas.

-Kevin
          Yes, I've been watching that one. I'm just not sure I want it to be flush like those..

Comment

Originally posted by Red GTi VR6
            Problem is, just placing it behind there doesn't look as custom and looks kinda cheap IMO. But that would only bother someone who wanted it to look pretty slick.

Your problem here is really pretty simple, not really a problem at all...lol

Cut out the lip of the dash piece that's in teh way, simple. Get some stuff called "Plastic weld". It works like a 2 part Epoxy but is made for plastic. Once you have te screen lined up the way you want (just the two pieces butted up to each other) put that epoxy on the back side to lock it in place. Once it's kicked, lay a few layers of glass on the gaps on the sides. once that's kicked sand it down a bit then bondo and sand. Done. Quite a simple process, just have to know what the process is first of all...lol

See the attached pic for an idea:
            Red, thanks for the assurance that it's going to be possible.. I really don't know what you mean by "cut out the lip of the dash". If you could photochop one of my images to show me what you mean that'd be great.

Also, did you see it was a hair to wide?

Comment

cut it - meaning cut the dash piece to fit the screen, I don't know how else to describe it.....cut it so that it fits like a puzzle.....

step outside the box with me here...want to flush mount it right? ok, so you need to make it to you can flush mount it. In order to do that you need to physically CUT that dash piece. CUT part of it away so that you can fit the screen UP inside so that the top of it is flush with the top of the dash piece....=]
              Jan Bennett
              FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

No, I don't want to flush mount it. I would rather get it recessed...

Comment

I'd slice the buttons off and mold those in at the very bottom of the panel.
                  Fabricator

Comment

Just finished my bezel. (finally) I definatly wouldn't keep the LCD "behind" I'd cut what you need out of the bezel and use bondo to build up what you cut out. If you didn't want to do this originally because you're afraid you'll ruin the bezel, once you add bondo (even if you didnt cut) you'll "RUIN" the bezel. (Or at least have to do a ton of sanding and re-painting.

ANything you cut from the bezel can be built back up with bondo.
                    Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
                    Via EPIA MII
                    512MB RAM
                    OEM GPS (embedded)
                    nLite WinXP pro on
                    1GB Extreme III CF card
                    Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
                    Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

Comment

Originally posted by tbird2340
                      Yes, I've been watching that one. I'm just not sure I want it to be flush like those..
                      Sorry about that, when i read your edit about the buttons being inaccessible i assumed you had given up on having it recessed. A quick note though, if you plan to recess it and keep the screen in its housing, you'll have to do without the the 2 screws(above the heater controls) in the bezel. That is unless your able to raise the xenarc bezel quite a bit such as by losing the air vents and moving the xenarc bezel further up the radio bezel. The way sporttracguy has it mounted in the thread i posted, the back of the xenarc case blocks those screw holes. Now if you wanted to put the xenarc in the same location, but mounted further back(recessed), you'll have to either lose that radio support inside the dash(plastic bar going from the screw holes i mentioned to the back wall of the radio cavity) or at the very least cut it down considerably. Just some food for thought as i've been dealing with the same problems working on my mountaineer(explorer).

-Kevin
                      2004 Mystichrome Cobra Install: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...a-install.html

Comment

Originally posted by Homebrew
                        Sorry about that, when i read your edit about the buttons being inaccessible i assumed you had given up on having it recessed. A quick note though, if you plan to recess it and keep the screen in its housing, you'll have to do without the the 2 screws(above the heater controls) in the bezel. That is unless your able to raise the xenarc bezel quite a bit such as by losing the air vents and moving the xenarc bezel further up the radio bezel. The way sporttracguy has it mounted in the thread i posted, the back of the xenarc case blocks those screw holes. Now if you wanted to put the xenarc in the same location, but mounted further back(recessed), you'll have to either lose that radio support inside the dash(plastic bar going from the screw holes i mentioned to the back wall of the radio cavity) or at the very least cut it down considerably. Just some food for thought as i've been dealing with the same problems working on my mountaineer(explorer).

-Kevin

Kevin, I already got rid of that bracket there for the radio and the screw holes.. I had to for either the EATC mod I did or for my Lilli.. I can't remember which.

Comment

Originally posted by IntellaWorks
                          Just finished my bezel. (finally) I definatly wouldn't keep the LCD "behind" I'd cut what you need out of the bezel and use bondo to build up what you cut out. If you didn't want to do this originally because you're afraid you'll ruin the bezel, once you add bondo (even if you didnt cut) you'll "RUIN" the bezel. (Or at least have to do a ton of sanding and re-painting.

ANything you cut from the bezel can be built back up with bondo.
                          Why wouldn't you put the bezel behind (recessed)??

Comment

have a look at what i did with some liquid plastic,, might help...see my link in siggy below
                            Nitrous'd Lexus IS300 Carputer...

Comment

I wouldn't mount it behind, because you will not be able to see the top of the screen as it gets cut off by the bezel. I had this problem in my explorer but just redid it to make it flush and it looks a lot better.
                              2001 Explorer
                              Xenarc, Opus 90W, 120 GB HD, Bondo everywhere

Sold the Explorer...got a 350z

Comment

Working...
                              X