AC Water Cooling?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC Water Cooling?

Well, I just had my first major break down with the Shuttle. And it was ofcource a heat issue. The system restarted itself, then froze in dos, then when I went to shut it down, it died fully with the red extreamly bright CPU Overtemp Warning light on. Turned out the cpu hit like 80 degrees celcius. I guess thats not good. Well I know that the AC system uses freon, but there's ways to hack my system to use the new aged stuff that could make my ac freeze! I could only imagine how cold the fluids are that are being pumped into and out of the AC unit....so do you think I could tap into it and watercool my system with the AC Freon system?
    -Josh
    1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    My URL: https://www.facebook.com/jagray85

XBOX: DarkerStars

I have seen similar done with case modding, but in all cases, the cpu will be wet with the condensation that occurs. Not what I would consider a safe mod. Watercooling is already a bit extreme for carpc use.
    2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

Peltiers - especially useful if you housed your computer in an amp enclosure.. you can just hook up the cold side to the CPU and the hot side to the amp enclosure. I did a science project about peltiers and they are great, if you have the right size.
      PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
      GammaControl v2.4
      SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Well if I did that, theywouldn't be be touching the enclosure....I'd have to get 2, one big one for the CPU and one smaller one for the chipset. Do they work if the hot side is in air? I am going to order some small fans to put in the back of the case blowing towards the cpu.
        -Josh

Comment

Ok, I just looked up Peltiers on FrozenCPU.com. and it says you have to have something to cool the hot part of it, so it doesn't burn up the entire unit. And the best thing for my AMD Athlon Mobile 3500+ CPU requires 250w of power. The power supply is a 200W Power Supply. the stock SilentX power supply on the shuttle is a 250W....I dont think I'll get away with powering it.

I need to find a good, safe, way to cool my damn AMD!
          -Josh

Comment

Where do you have your PC located? could you not build a long heat sink out of the side of the case and pass the aircon pipe through it a few times. This way the coldest part of the heatsink (most likely to get condensation) will be outside the case and if you put a temp sensor ont he heatsink inside the case which warns you if the temp gets near a condensation creating level (so you can wack on a bit of doom to get that cpu working hard!!!! (or turn the aircon off)

Comment

Your best bet is probably to use the tried-and-true methods of blowing lots of air across a big heatsink. Without having looked at a picture of the case, you might be able to put a fan in the case near the CPU, or clean up the wires in the case to facilitate better airflow.
              It is true that peltier devices eat lots of power, but it's also possible to run them at fractions of their rated power most of the time and ramp the power when needed. I also think that they don't require tightly regulated power like the rest of the components in your computer, so you may be able to get away with a cheap separate power supply for it. You just need to be careful about how you do that to prevent it from stopping working at all.
              Old plans out the window because of an accident .
              Have: M1-ATX, EPIA M10000, 256MB, 60GB 2.5", slim slot load DVD
              Need: Time, HU integration, ideas for Lilli

Comment

get a Zalman Flower - CNPS6000-Cu

I have one on my 1600+
                CarPC status: iPod, 3,456,217 songs so **** you

Comment

Originally posted by Motoko
                  I have one on my 1600+
                  So do I! The processors ALWAYS shows a few degrees cooler than ambient.
                  My first attempt at a carputer.

PM me if you're interested in a monitor faceplate for your '99-'04 Golf or Jetta. My Vortex ID is NorthAtlR32 - you can IM me there, too. Go here for more information.

Comment

Also know, space is a issue...the cpu is like 2" below where the DVDRW is goin. Water cooling systems aren't harsh....and I could possibly get away with building a water cooling system externaly from the case without condensation.

Also the case is mounted in the glove compartment...the case is a 12 disc cd changer.
                    -Josh

Comment

Originally posted by NightFireTuning
                      Also know, space is a issue...the cpu is like 2" below where the DVDRW is goin. Water cooling systems aren't harsh....and I could possibly get away with building a water cooling system externaly from the case without condensation.

Also the case is mounted in the glove compartment...the case is a 12 disc cd changer.
                      Ever thought about turning the motherboard?
                      PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                      GammaControl v2.4
                      SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Hmm, I'm thinkin about cooling a few other things...starting with the hard drive, then the cpu, then the chipset, and then back to the holding tank.

an aditional power supply or somethin like that for the peltier could work.....but I would be too scared about a wire gettin cut or somethin breaking and then it shutting down and bye bye cpu...

I wonder if I can find a small fan but something that will move some severe air...then like fabricate a tunel, and have it row low over a heat pipe heat sink, so the air will make sure to move through the pipes...and out another end....maybe...

lol I even have my brother tryin to help me with this.
                        -Josh

Comment

Originally posted by 0l33l
                          Ever thought about turning the motherboard?
                          the motherboard is tilted a little because the case is soo small, and its soo small if I flipped it upside down or anything, it would make things harder, like wires...lol...its alot to shove in this case. The motherboard is 10x7", The case is 10.5x6.5....
                          -Josh

Comment

Hmm, I found low provile AthlonXP heatsink/fan units, but they only provide 9cfm of air flow...I need more.
                            -Josh

Comment

Ok, I made a diagram of an idea. I can do a low profile athlonxp heatsinkfan unit, and then right next to it, an intake fan blowin at 40cfm and then next to that, the same type of fan for exhaust....or I could just do 2 Intake and 1 exhaust.....I wonder if I can fill up the entire back panel with 5 60mm 40cfm fans. 3 Intake and 2 exhaust...get a really nice circular patern goin on. But will I be able to power all of them...the shuttle's silentx power supply is 250W, the power supply I'm puting in its place to run in the car, is a 200W snap on...Maybe I can just wire the case fans to the 12v cable commin in. I'm gonna use a connector like what you'd see on an amp for 12v and the ignition for the ITPS. So maybe instead of wireing it to the power supply of the system, I could wire all of them except the cpu one to the 12v ignition wire. that way, even if the system isn't running, the fans will be powered.

I also Got to thinkin, what am I gonna do about sucking in heat...When I jump into the car, the temp inside is like 100 Degrees or so until the AC gets up to full spec. then in the winter time, I have the heater on I dunno...I dont think its enough heat right off the bat, for the time it takes everything to get to the right temp of 75 degrees in the car which is normal room temp, it wont need to be really cool until after the system loads. What do you think?
                              Attached Files
                              -Josh

Comment

Working...
                              X