Dodge Ram PC build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodge Ram PC build

Hello everyone. I got tired of having to install and remove my laptop in the truck and also having the exposed wiring so I decided to build a dedicated PC that will be hidden a little better. The PC is pretty much ready to be installed but I still have more details to work out such as getting a shutdown controller for the inverter and a more permanent dash install of the DVD drive and monitor.

Here's what I've got so far:

Center console ready to be reinstalled. Keyboard will be mounted on the sunvisor and the monitor in front of the dash.

Lower storage compartment makes a nice home. Cable access is from behind the flipped up seat.

The large switch is for the power selection mode. Red button is reset and the blue LEDs are for power and HDD.

Bottom view of console. Best layout I could come up with for such a tight fit!

Rear base of console showing two 80mm temp controlled fans.

Front of console showing two 60mm filters for air inlet. May add a third if necessary to match rear airflow.

This is the computer stack. It just drops in and pulls out when the cables are disconnected.

This is the lower storage compartment in the center console with the computer stack removed. The stack sits on the lip halfway down that surrounds the front and sides of the compartment.

Here is the computer stack out of the console. The MB is mounted upside down to the top sheet of plexi. 2" spacers then extend down to the lower plexi which has cut outs for the P/S fan and the CPU fan/heatsink. The P/S and HDD are mounted to the bottom of the lower plexi.
    Rick S.

XP Pro SP2, Soyo P4RC350 MB, Nvidia FX5200, 320W PS, Inverter & uSDC20D, 2.4GHz CeleronD320, 512MB DDR, 30GB 3.5", Pioneer 106s Slot DVD, Linksys WMP54G WiFi, Lilliput 7" & 4" TFT LCD, Zippy EL610 Keyboard, Touchpad, Garmin GPS V

Nice install!! Are you going to be using a USB adapter for your dash mounted CD\DVD drive?
    VIA MII 10000 - 512MB Ram - Dual 2.5" drives, Xenarc 700TSV, Panasonic CW-8132-B, Opus 150, Audigy 2 NX, PowerMate, IOADR1610 10 Relay card

Comment

Part 2 (more pics)

Front of computer stack showing Ram and IDE ports.

Passenger side of computer stack showing CPU heatsink/fan.

Drivers side of computer stack showing Wi-Fi card.

Rear of computer stack showing MB ports and suspended HD.

Bottom of computer stack.

Closeup of low profile Wi-Fi card. Just the right fit!

Another view of the bottom of the computer stack.
      Rick S.

XP Pro SP2, Soyo P4RC350 MB, Nvidia FX5200, 320W PS, Inverter & uSDC20D, 2.4GHz CeleronD320, 512MB DDR, 30GB 3.5", Pioneer 106s Slot DVD, Linksys WMP54G WiFi, Lilliput 7" & 4" TFT LCD, Zippy EL610 Keyboard, Touchpad, Garmin GPS V

Comment

Yeah. I have a USB/IDE cable for the final install. I'll have to extend the molex power cable a few feet as well.
        Rick S.

Comment

Awesome work!!!
          Fabricator

Comment

Originally posted by Altimat
            Awesome work!!!
            i agree...and that is a great compliment coming from altimat!
            New System in progress:
            M10k
            Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
            Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
            Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
            Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
            Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
            My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Great to see another Ram!

Planar 12.1TS
              Xenarc 700TS
              Xenarc MP-SC8 Mini P4 Aluminum Car PC
              Sound Blaster® Audigy® 2 NX
              2.8 Celeron D
              512 PC2700
              Dual Odyssey 1200s for Power

Comment

Thanks for the compliments. Altimat, I hope my LCD/DVD install turns out even close to yours! I just need to get over the fear of hacking up my new dash I guess.
                Rick S.

Comment

nice!! I love it! that is the perfect wireless card it being so low profile.
                  肚子笑痛了
                  S60 Install

Comment

Yeah. I just happened to see the picture of the card on the box at Wal-Mart and wondered if it would fit. I went home and researched it a bit, took some measurements and got it. There was about an 1/8" left above the card, just enough for a small strip of foam to keep it from vibrating out of the slot. My original plan was to use a PCI riser and an existing PCMCIA/PCI adapter and card from my laptop. The low profile card worked out much better.
                    Rick S.

Comment

Slick work.
                      TruckinMP3
                      D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

outstanding
                        2005 Dodge Ram HEMI

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2239451

15" LCD touchscreen
                        Mac Mini
                        6" Headrest monitors
                        Modded Xbox

5 PSone screens going in doors
                        And another 15" LCD!

Comment

sweet. why dont you just go with dc to dc instead of that big bulky psu and than another bulky inverter? dc2dc is more efficients and takes up less space. just an idea. i love how it turned out tho
                          i got dat ***** sittin on 22s! SUPERMAN EDITION!

Comment

Originally posted by EsKALad
                            sweet. why dont you just go with dc to dc instead of that big bulky psu and than another bulky inverter? dc2dc is more efficients and takes up less space. just an idea. i love how it turned out tho

yeah get dc-dc

Comment

Looks great.
                              Here's my Ram in-dash LCD install. It isn't complete (I am trying to match the interior better). I made the bezel out of aluminum and bondo. It cracked along one of the seams, but you get the idea. I've been using it for about 2 months now, and a word of advice... Put a fan behind the LCD for airflow or you will cook the LCD inverter.
                              Attached Files
                              2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 600
                              AMD Athalon 900mhz / ATI Radeon 8500 video / TV/FM card
                              7" touch-screen LCD / GPS / DVD Player / Frodoplayer

Comment

Working...
                              X