Ford Focus In-Dash Lilliput

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford Focus In-Dash Lilliput

Right, I've finally decided to start making my in-dash lilliput and have started this thread to log the progress in case it helps anyone else.

This is what I want it to look like:

I've bought another centre fascia panel from Ford so I can keep the other one in while I'm making this one and in case I cant get one in a few years when I sell the car.

and below is the screen sitting behind it:

I'm now off down the auto store to get some P40 and P38 filler...
    Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
    Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

Thats is going to look cool. I hate you guys with nice double din openings

Are you going to keep the screen bezel pretty much flush with the dash or are you going to recess it a bit? maybe just recess the bottom a little or something to make it more upright as it looks like your dash is very curvy so might be pointing up and get lots of glare.

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Monkey
      Thats is going to look cool. I hate you guys with nice double din openings

Are you going to keep the screen bezel pretty much flush with the dash or are you going to recess it a bit? maybe just recess the bottom a little or something to make it more upright as it looks like your dash is very curvy so might be pointing up and get lots of glare.
      Well it's not double-din - I wish it was, it's 1.5 din I think.

It'll be flush at the edges, then recessed a little in the middle, due to the curvature of the dash. It should however be OK 'straight' as when it mounts it's not pointing up very far.

I just got back from the auto store and have bought some 'bumper filler' which works on other stuff too but is supposed to bond well with plastic. I'm going to give that a shot first and see if it's upto the job.

Comment

bumper filler sounds felixible too. Could be good. Would reinforce the surround with balsa or summit too to stop flexing when you press the screen.

Don't crash this one!!!!

Comment

bumper filler sounds felixible too. Could be good. Would reinforce the surround with balsa or summit too to stop flexing when you press the screen.

Don't crash this one!!!!
          Hey I won't be crashing it...

Just been looking a the how-to by altimat with the balsa wood..

Does the surround support it from the back to to flexing or do you stop the flexing by supporting it down the sides?

Comment

just seen what your doing and it starting to convince me to have ago at this. wot model of screen are you using and how will you alter the screen settings if none of the buttons are visable. Another thing that has put me off this mod is how do you reattach the facia to the dash board?

thanks
            sam

Comment

yours is slightly angled right? does that help any with glare?
              I GIVE FREE HUGS!
              Buy Sell or Trade
              If my pm box is full, please feel free to call me any time. 440-328-3382
              Thank you
              Forex
              Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

Originally posted by stevieg
                I just got back from the auto store and have bought some 'bumper filler' which works on other stuff too but is supposed to bond well with plastic. I'm going to give that a shot first and see if it's upto the job.
                Is that the Isopon bumper filler from the big "H" auto store by any chance stevieg?

If so, it is working quite well for me so far (1/2 way through adapting a very similar panel mod) and it cures surprisingly hard as well.

Note of caution though, go easy on the hardner mix and try and keep the job cool or else a couple of minutes after mixing it suddenly turns from a black paste into thick rubber gel over the space of about 10 seconds!
                Project F.T.P.C.

Comment

Does the surround support it from the back to to flexing or do you stop the flexing by supporting it down the sides?
                  If you can support the back of the screen against something then that is best. Otherwise build a thin but deep frame around the back of the screen. The more material away from the back of the facia the stiffer. It depends on how your dash is after you cut the hole for the screen. Think about bracing from the very start as it will make fabricating the screen much, much easier if the facia is nice and stiff from the start.

Comment

Damn! I wish my dash was as easy as the Focus to integrate a screen!! Still sniffing the glue till I can pluck up some courage to attack the dash of the 306.

Comment

OK, it looks like a change of plan.

A guy in manchester who has done custom dash's which have been at shows and in magazines has offered to do mine for me, and is confident he can get it exactly how I want it..

So I've stripped the lilliput down..

and sent that along with the dash fascia panel to him

He's going to take pics of the process and I'll post them here along with his contact details and the finished result.

Comment

You lazy sod!

hehe

Don't blame you though! can't wait to see what he does with it.

Comment

can't wait to see what he does with it.
                          Me 2!!!

Hope it turns out well
                          =======================================
                          EPIA M10000, Kingston 256MB, 40G 2.5" HDD, 40G 3.5" HDD, LG slim CD/DVD,
                          Customised Cubid 2699R, Xenarc 7" moulded in dash, Opus 90w, bu-303

Comment

Steve,

A mate of mine drives a ST 170 and i have changed his mind on buying a Pioneer Avic1 nav system to a Car PC, however he does not want me touching his dash to install the screen like yours, can you let us know if you chap would consider doing the same for some sort of cost etc.

Cheers

OK, it looks like a change of plan.

A guy in manchester who has done custom dash's which have been at shows and in magazines has offered to do mine for me, and is confident he can get it exactly how I want it..

So I've stripped the lilliput down..

and sent that along with the dash fascia panel to him

He's going to take pics of the process and I'll post them here along with his contact details and the finished result.
                            [SIZE=6]Join Date: Aug 2003
                            Vehicle: 2004 320d Sport Touring
                            HP-Epc, 512mb Ram, 250gb hd, Lilliput, GPS.
                            [/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by eazyrog
                              Steve,

A mate of mine drives a ST 170 and i have changed his mind on buying a Pioneer Avic1 nav system to a Car PC, however he does not want me touching his dash to install the screen like yours, can you let us know if you chap would consider doing the same for some sort of cost etc.

Cheers
                              OK pop me an email to [email protected] and when I get it back I'll email some photos to you and the guy who's done it's contact details so your mate can make his mind up - I myself don't know what it will look like yet!

Comment

Working...
                              X