Where to find Brushed aluminum?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to find Brushed aluminum?

Hey guys, I wanna put some brushed aluminum around my dash and Xenarc, where can I find some of this material? Thanks.

I'm working for an interior design company. We use Formica brushed aluminium, this as a laminate with real aluminium on top which you can get in several designs.
    It's easy to work with and looks great. Maybe check some local interior company's, maybe they have some leftovers!

http://www.formica.com/colorchipdetails.jsp?chip_id=682
    Finished!
    pc 99% - install 100% - audio 100%

Comment

I've got an 8" brushed aluminum Xenarc bezel I'll sell.
      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
      Want to:
      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

aluminium + wet and dry and a bit of elbow grease or a power tool with the right attachment

Comment

WilsonArt makes it too check their website.
          Fabricator

Comment

Thanks Altimat I just ordered some samples from them.

Comment

Or, if ya just want brushed aluminum...... Get aluminum, sheet aluminum, whatever thickness you need. Then, for the grain you want, experiment with different sandpaper grits. Get a big flat sanding block <i use either one of those black rubber ones, about 3x5 inches, or I just use my speedboard>. Personally, I generally like my aluminum grain between 400 and 800 grit sandpaper. Just make long, straight strokes across the entire piece. I hold the board wide, so you cover the most width with every stroke. Then just be sure to start all the way at one end, and make one smooth stroke all the way to the other. Smooth, straight strokes and you'll get a smooth, straight grain.

I wish I had a better picture on here, but this was my favorite brushed aluminum project ever..... I fabricated the all-aluminum center console, the instrument cluster, and the door panel inserts for this 73 camaro. The console turned out great, welded it up out of 1/4" Aluminum, then rounded all the edges and brushed it with 400 grit.
              Attached Files

Comment

that looks amazing
                New System in progress:
                M10k
                Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
                Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
                Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
                Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
                Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

who the heck made that car? That dash is the same kind as mine. I must know.

Comment

Chevrolet

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Monkey
                      aluminium + wet and dry and a bit of elbow grease or a power tool with the right attachment
                      Here are some pics of brushing aluminum.
                      bit-tech.net

Comment

Originally posted by Meatballman
                        Chevrolet
                        Well I know that considering I own a 78 Camaro Type LT. I'm curently restoring and installing a car pc.

Comment

Well...to get of topic....that was a 73 Camaro I built in 2000-2001 for Rick Kirkindall of Dallas. If you look around, it was on the cover of Popular Hot Rodding in November 2004, and has been featured in Car Craft and Hot Rod magazines. Anyways, i used to work as a fabricator in a small <just me and the owner> hot rod welding and machine shop. The Camaro in question started out being entirely stripped, then the main body was chemically dipped to strip it then electroplated. Next, I fabricated a mustang 2 type sla front clip and stuck in under the car with fabbed subframe connectors. Then we stuck the motor in it, I fabbed the 6-point roll cage, plumbed it up and fabbed all the brackets and et cetera, then stripped it all back down to go to the paint shop <Advantage Autowerks in Irving, TX>. After paint, it came back to the shop, where I reassembled the car, wired it up, stuck in the interior, and fabbed all the aluminum interior pieces and trim.
                          It's that simple......
                          here's a lil more of the car.....
                          Attached Files

Comment

Are sheets of alluminum easy to cut into the desired shape? Are they easily mendable. What kind of cutting tool would do the job?

Comment

Depends on thickness. If it doesn't need to be structural, you can use thinner stuff and use anything from tinsnips to a dremel. If you can mock it up with cardboard and are confident in the shapes, might be worth taking it down to a metal shop and having them cut it. They can cut thick stuff without bending/warping it and it'll look clean & tight and probably wouldn't cost much, especially if you pre-draw the template onto the metal.
                              Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
                              http://hallert.net/

Comment

Working...
                              X