Protect Xenarc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protect Xenarc

My install has the xenarc bracketed inside inner dash and dash bezel will just butt up against it. For my final pieces of fiberglass, I want to cure it against the screen housing (to get a perfect fit). But I do not want the resin to adhere to the xenarc.

Is siran wrap sufficient to protect it?

You should just remove the screen from the housing.
    95 Chevy G20 Vroom Boom Room
    ...with a whole bunch of nifty ****... go check it out: VanDomain Page

Comment

Can't. One of my rules for the project is screen keeps it's warranty.

Comment

If it matters (for what to wrap xenarc in to protect), I am using Epoxy Resin.

Comment

I understand your reluctance to crack the warranty, but it will be difficult if not impossible to keep resin off the screen without removing it.

Comment

Oops... re-reading this it looks like you're trying to keep resin off of the screen AND housing? I suppose Saran wrap would work, but someone else may have a better suggestion.

Comment

Yea... console bezel is just a "fascia"... screen isn't secured to it

Comment

Except foil sounds like a bad idea. Wrapping a conductive material around a component that likely holds a charge somewhere in its parts just sounds like trouble.

My only fear with Siran wrap is... Doesn't curing produce heat?

Comment

But wouldn't you just be wrapping it in foil, letting it cure, and then peeling off the excess afterward? So the screen would only have the strips that are stuck to the epoxy touching it.

Comment

Yea. Foil would only be there for curing. Just thinking a slight charge saved in a resistor inside and conductive wrap... Bamo dead screen. Being silly about foil?

Comment

but the casing is plastic. if there is anything sticking out the case that could have an electrical connection then i think you would have cause for sending it back!!! If you are really worried leave the screen off for a day and let any charges decay but i think you are worrying for no reason. Just put some tape over the connectors. I would be worried abot the foil bonding to the fibrelgass though.

Why not tape some card over the screen for protection while ou are handling it and then use some proper carbon/glass fibre bagging film. The resin should not stick to that then so it won't get stuck in your final piece. Bagging film here: http://www.icancomposites.com/index.php/cPath/30

This is the stuff you wrap your components in, then seal the edges with the putty and attach a vacuum before putting it in the autoclave (still baged up to keep it consolidated).

Comment

Working...
                      X