So Far....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Far....

I am using a modded xbox with 120GB HDD in the car as I can then use this as a sort of Media Centre

It started off as a normal screen off ebay from Wongy!

Then I found where I wanted it to go

Just testing with Pro Evo

I then realised that the TV was too big for the gap and I would have to make some sort of frame for it so I could maybe get this as flush on the dash as I could if I couldnt get it mounted inside it!

Fibreglass was busted out so I can make it smooooth and cover up wood joins and screw holes

Once this is fibgreglass is it best to smooth this down and then give it a slight skim of filler and keep wetting it down using various grades of wet and dry and then it will be ok to paint?

hmm, wouldnt it have been better to use fiberglass reinforced filler? instead of laying that layer of fiberglass? but anyways, use some filler to make it smooth, sand then mmore filler to fill in the holes, or you can get some finishing putty, and fill the holes that way, sand some more using finer paper, and then prime it using a filler primer, sand again then paint!
    Carputer HIFI car stereo project!
    [XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX-]
    95% COMPLETE! FINALIZING SOFTWARE PLATFORM!

[XXXXXX--------------]
    30% COMPLETE! CAPUTER Version 2.0! Hardware FAILING! CARPUTER BLEW UP! AND NOW MONITOR TOO! WTF?!

Comment

Originally posted by miztahsparklez
      hmm, wouldnt it have been better to use fiberglass reinforced filler? instead of laying that layer of fiberglass? but anyways, use some filler to make it smooth, sand then mmore filler to fill in the holes, or you can get some finishing putty, and fill the holes that way, sand some more using finer paper, and then prime it using a filler primer, sand again then paint!
      Thanks for the reply

I have only done 1 edge with fibreglass so far so I could always sand this and use the filler you mentioned if this would be better to work with?

Comment

i think it would be easier to do it that way, save you alot of work and time. im assuming that wood is pretty much stuck together. and you jsut want to make it look nice. so yes, you can use fiberglass reinforced filler, or you can probably even get away with standard body filler.
        [XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX-]

[XXXXXX--------------]
        30% COMPLETE! CAPUTER Version 2.0! Hardware FAILING! CARPUTER BLEW UP! AND NOW MONITOR TOO! WTF?!

Comment

Originally posted by miztahsparklez
          i think it would be easier to do it that way, save you alot of work and time. im assuming that wood is pretty much stuck together. and you jsut want to make it look nice. so yes, you can use fiberglass reinforced filler, or you can probably even get away with standard body filler.
          Yeah the wood is screwed and glued together so that isnt moving and it is mainly for looks! I will get some of that filler when I can get to the shop next

Thanks

Comment

if I were doing this and had already fiberglassed it, I would not go from fiberglass to filler (at least the filler that I think of when I think of filler). I would go to bondo (or the like) and put a few layers on. Filler is for the final layer most of the time....this is far from the final layer.

now what mitzah said about just using regular filler on it is true as well if you haven't done all around with fiberglass. I didn't use any fiberglass on my dash and center console.....this stuff isn't going to have to be SUPER strong like fiberglass will make it

=]
            Jan Bennett
            FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

bondo is body filler.

now theres fiberglass reinforced filler (fills big gaps, more rigid), then theres regular old body filler (fills small cracks, gouges, etc), and then theres finishing putty(fills the airpockets left by the body filler also known as pinholes). they get applied in that order or at least the very last two items are used.
              [XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX-]

[XXXXXX--------------]

Comment

Working...
              X