fiber glass box thickness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fiber glass box thickness

I have been building a new sub box for my new 12" infinity sub. i have about 4-6 layers of fiberglass matt + a layer of fleice .

I cant flex it anywhere do you think its think enugh?
    1990 Jeep Cherokee
    2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
    2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

how thick is the fiberglass mat that you are using? how thick would you say you are right now? 1/2"? 3/4"? 1"?

how much resin did you pour on the fleice and let kick before putting the mat on?

as long as you don't have any air pockets you should be fine.

if in doubt, put another layer on.

also, do you think you could stand on the box without it flexing? if so then I would say you are good to go!
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

I used about 2 1/4 32 Oz resin cans and you can see how thick it is, im not gona try standing on it since im a big guy...

What do you think? should i throw 2-3 more layers on and use the rest of the resin i have?

EDIT: if i add another layer sould i need to sand off the bondo?
      Attached Files
      1990 Jeep Cherokee
      2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
      2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

It depends on the shape of the fiberglass. If its a flat area it will need to be twice as thick as an area with compound curvature.
        Fabricator

Comment

well heres a pic of the box not much flat at all. let me know what you think.
          Attached Files
          1990 Jeep Cherokee
          2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
          2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

if in doubt - just put more layers on.....btw - have you bondoed it for the last time yet??
            Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

http://www.caraudiohelp.com/newslett...***_layers.htm
              that's what i did and i think it work i also used about 3/4's of a galon of kitty hair from the inside to reinforce the edgesand the walls...
              http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/465067/3
              that's my final product i can crank it up to almost the max and it hasn't come apart...
              yes it is very small box but i kicks and i need to X-tra space...
              "baby coming in 5 month...."
              98.8 complete
              95 chevy blazer s10

Comment

good find Kalito!

that's an interesting tweeter arangement...why did you end up going with it?
                Jan Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by Red GTi VR6
                  if in doubt - just put more layers on.....btw - have you bondoed it for the last time yet??
                  I Think when the sun comes out this weekend ill put a few more layers on just to be sure. Thats not my final bono job i just wanted to get a better looking / smelling product to stick in my car to test, it hits hard i need to fill with poly fill and test again. that was actualy just one layer of bondo.

So you think i need to remove the bondo? or can i just put a few more layers on top of it?
                  1990 Jeep Cherokee
                  2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
                  2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

I would rip "not cut" one more sheat of mat into bits the size of your open hand and apply it to the inside.
                    now working on my Dodge Dak
                    toshiba portege == done
                    audigy2 NX == done
                    7" flush mount == 0%
                    pimp rating == 48%

Comment

ehh maybe ill get some kitty hair and do a layer on the inside. that would be easier then trying to put a layer on the inside of mat.
                      1990 Jeep Cherokee
                      2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
                      2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by WebDog
                        I Think when the sun comes out this weekend ill put a few more layers on just to be sure. Thats not my final bono job i just wanted to get a better looking / smelling product to stick in my car to test, it hits hard i need to fill with poly fill and test again. that was actualy just one layer of bondo.

So you think i need to remove the bondo? or can i just put a few more layers on top of it?

I would just rough it up with like a 40 grit before putting another layer on the outside if that's the route you wanted to go. You will have to give the glass and resin something to bond to.

Or...another and possibly a better option is to go with the kitty hair on the inside. This stuff can be a little tricky how ever. If you don't mix it throughly (as with regular bondo) you will have soft spots, no good. It's somewhat difficult to mix since the strands in kitty hair are so long. Another downfall is that when you go to put it on from the inside you might end up getting air pockets and not know it. That can cause cracking since it's a void.

I would recomend going with DuraGlass. It's just as good and easier to work with. The strands are a little more fine so it will be easier to mix. It's still EXTREMELY strong once it's kicked. I used about 2 gallons of it on my box, but my box also has about 8 sq. ft. (3' w x 2.5' l) of surface area where I had to put the stuff and I was using it ONLY. No fiberglass mat here. It's fairly expensive and can only be had at an auto body supply store (I paid about $35 a gallon for it). It's completely water proof and extremely strong.....

just a thought!
                        Jan Bennett

Comment

ok well I applied 26 OZ of bondo-glass to the out side adding 1/8th to 1/4" all over the box it seems more solid now. I also put a bead of liquid nails on the inside where the fiberglass is meet with the wood...

Any recommendation for good screws for mounting the sub?
                          Attached Files
                          1990 Jeep Cherokee
                          2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
                          2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

first question: is that ring made of wood or is it just made of the fiberglass/bondo etc?

I hope it's wood at least under there....otherwise you will run into crack propagation

if so....a good #10 screw should be fine! just remember to predrill your holes one size smaller than what your screws will be!
                            Jan Bennett

Comment

Theirs is a ring of wood. Itís hard to tell because I used metal welding rod to position it before I fibreglassed, I didnít want to lose any volume with big pice of wood holding it up.
                              Ill go over to the hardware store and get some cool looking screws, and a drill bit.

hers a pic of that part with just the wood and metal rods.
                              Attached Files
                              1990 Jeep Cherokee
                              2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
                              2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

Working...
                              X