Molding Methods?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Molding Methods?

Well...I know how to make a duplicate of something with fiberglass or carbon fiber..or even kevlar. But for things that I'm not copying, how can I build a mold? Like how can I get my subs angled differently with nice wavy floor? I was thinkin of having 2 subs angled down like / and the middle 3rd one angled up like \...and then building a carbon fiber or fiberglass cover for that....to seal the subs into the cockpit area...but how do I do that? I know a way to do it with carbon fiber, just like tape the edges to where they will be mounted, and cut the 3 round holes for the subs and mount the subs down on top of the fabric to hold it into place...let it sit how it wants...nice and wavy, and then mask off the interior of my car and start spraying it with resin and clear coat...atleast enough to harden it so I can take it out and smooth it and harden it more. ....but fiberglass is a liquid, how?

Give me all your methods, pics are prefered as well. I thank you!
    -Josh
    1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    My URL: https://www.facebook.com/jagray85

XBOX: DarkerStars

Have you checked out the "Fiberglassing Tips" thread?

Comment

Yeah, not enough info...all the stuff in there is things I allready know.
      -Josh

Comment

fiberglass is not a liquid. Fiberglass is a cloth if you buy fiberglass mat or cloth. Get it the way you want, then paint fiberglass resin over the top of that. After you get it stiff enough to take out, take it out and paint on more layers of resin and re-inforce it with more fiberglass mat.

I dont know where you are getting that fiberglass is a liquid. Just the resin is, just like Carbon Fiber.

Comment

All the fiberglass I've seen wasn't a mat, it was tons of stringy **** with resin. All mixed together.
          -Josh

Comment

that's not fiberglass, that's a fiberglass bondo mix....

you aren't looking int he right places then

Or......you can do it how I did mine and how it's done a lot of the time...

Your first layer is what's going to give you your shape....we used carpet....it soaks up more resin than fleece and will end up thicker and harder as a first layer.....just make sure it's a polyester based carpet if you go that route....

staple it into place around the edges while you pull the living daylights out of it to give it a good taught surface....we like to router a groove out of the edges to staple the carpet into so that I's nice and flush....don't have to worry so much about trying to sand downt hat lip that forms if you don't do that

make sense?
            Jan Bennett
            FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

I like that...But the ring...did you make that or is it availible at a store or something?

Also did you seal each sub off from the other? Or are they sharing air?

That would make things soo much easier for me. Cause I've been trying to think of a way to get a wood faceplate build, that will be mounted to 3 different boxes for 3 subs and then use the plastic interior peice as a mounting location for the edges.

I'm still trying to figure out if I should use Carbon Fiber to match all the other carbon fiber **** I have, or fiberglass and paint it. Cause I really think glassed and painted gloss black with a thick clear coat would look SOO nice!
              -Josh

Comment

You can buy the rings at selectproducts.com

Comment

Now I'm wondering how safe it is to have 3 subs sharing the air in the box...I was going to block them off so they have thier own space.
                  -Josh

Comment

Originally posted by KMorphosis
                    You can buy the rings at selectproducts.com
                    Is there any cheaper place like that? They are hella expensive on some things I've found. 12x24 sheet of the regular woven carbon fiber (aka ugly) for 76 bucks. The average price for a 50x36" sheet of the good lookin grade A carbon fiber (same you see on hoods) is 50 bucks.
                    -Josh

Comment

what the hell is "grade A carbon fiber" Im will assume "regular woven" == 3k plain weave? so is grade a 3k 2x2, 6k 5HS, or 3K 4x4? but yes that is still alot as the 3k 4x4 should be no more that $58 for 50" per yard.

www.fiberglast.com

and any REAL car audio place should be able to cut "mounting rings" for you.
                      now working on my Dodge Dak
                      toshiba portege == done
                      audigy2 NX == done
                      7" flush mount == 0%
                      pimp rating == 48%

Comment

I have allready ordered from fiberglast.com. I built my CF Headliner, Trunk, Trunkliner, and headlight lids to match the CF hood I bought.

Companies that make large quantenties of CF products concider the 2x2 Twill Weave fabric Grade A, Because of the way it is designed, Its better looking and a little stronger then the regular woven fabric... They will not use the regular woven fabric.

-Josh

Comment

And actualy, I think its a pretty good price for the rings...22 bucks per ring.
                          -Josh

Comment

Originally posted by nFiniteTuning
                            I like that...But the ring...did you make that or is it availible at a store or something?

Also did you seal each sub off from the other? Or are they sharing air?

That would make things soo much easier for me. Cause I've been trying to think of a way to get a wood faceplate build, that will be mounted to 3 different boxes for 3 subs and then use the plastic interior peice as a mounting location for the edges.

I'm still trying to figure out if I should use Carbon Fiber to match all the other carbon fiber **** I have, or fiberglass and paint it. Cause I really think glassed and painted gloss black with a thick clear coat would look SOO nice!

made the ring.....just take a router and put a plate on it (i;m sure you can buy them too) that has holes drilled in premeasured locations for different size subs. You connect to the plate with a screw for the center of the circle and put the router where you want to cut.....just push it around a few times and it cuts out a hole...or go through Select and get yourself a ring!

The box is a mono-chamber box.

From my experience on a box where you will be laying carbon fiber, it's damn near impossible to get it to lay with the weave nice all the way around. Not to mention if you work in an area where it's cold the self leveling surfboard resin will drip off, not kick quick enough, and will leave waves....lol

Just remember, when preping for paint, it's going to have to be FLAWLESS. No divits, no pinholes, no waves, etc.....a good filler primer will take care of some of that but not all of it. You will be spending a LOT of time sanding down that bondo and putting another layer on and sanding some more and doing that over and over and over again....that's why stereo shops have to charge so much to make this stuff....because it's VERY labor intensive...=]
                            Jan Bennett
                            FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Ohh I know that. And I allready know how to lay carbon fiber. Especialy inside of a car. But the carbon fiber will ONLY be a faceplate for looks. I'll have to remove the window...Lay it over the decklid and down over the subs...staple it properly over the rings and over the area's I want it to go and cover up...and keeping it from dripping is hella easy. Ya see, mixing a little clear resin with some nice clear coat paint...and spraying a few light coats over the entire thing after masking the entire interior...will get it hard enough that I can pull it out without it loosing shape (only if I am careful) and then start applying resin and just let it get hard outside of the car.

Why I am wondering about the fiberglass, is because no matter how HARD I brainstorm, I can't think of an easier way to make a front end of the box to mount the subs, other then with fiberglass....not wood. Wood is possible, but too damn difficult.

So...is it safe to run 3 high powered subs in one space...like your is (but yours is 2)?
                              -Josh

Comment

Working...
                              X