Fiber glass amp rack walk thrue.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiber glass amp rack walk thrue.

During this next weak or three i will be making a custom amp rack, if the wether plays nice and I will take pics and post them here along with a wright up. This will house my JL 500/1 and some day a 300/4, in my 04 dak.

I started two day by sizing the area the amp rack will go into. Looks like i got off easy and a standard slab of 1/8" mdf will work uncut as a back plate. I also got a good respirator, you want one that is good for "organic vapors" as they will pull almost any thing out of the air
    some refills for it are not a bad idea, you want to use this when sanding "this stuff is almost as bad as asbestos" AND when working with resin in a place with poor air flow, "in a trunk/cab of a car/truck"
    A tub of resin and some extra tubes of hardener, cheap paint brushes, a coffee can, fleece "dark in color", chop mat "may not be used", gloves, Styrofoam, and i still need to get a gallon of Rage gold "bondo will work " so far iv spent less than $70.

I'll post more as it happens.
    now working on my Dodge Dak
    toshiba portege == done
    audigy2 NX == done
    7" flush mount == 0%
    pimp rating == 48%

sweet, i'm loving these step by step write ups
    Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

Yeah this is gonna be a nice help, I was planning on winging it with mine...

Comment

*grabs a box of popcorn and takes a seat*
        Georgia Area Meet Photos

Comment

is it done yet
          肚子笑痛了
          S60 Install

Comment

OK who else thought that respirator pic was a funky fiberglass amp enclosure with two subs on it?
            Fabricator

Comment

I did

Comment

ha...i wasn't going to say anything but that's what i had thought at first too!
                New System in progress:
                M10k
                Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
                Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
                Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
                Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
                Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Originally posted by scott_fx
                  ha...i wasn't going to say anything but that's what i had thought at first too!
                  me three - would make a cool design.

Comment

same here, had to do a double look at it.
                    The MC of Florida Car PC Meets
                    CAR:2001 Ford Crown Victoria
                    PC: Acer EEE 900HA with Win7 with CF 2.0.
                    Memory:1G
                    Drives:160gig
                    WI-FI:Cingular
                    GPS:IG2k9
                    Screen:Xenarc 700TSV
                    The Florida Meets Thread

Comment

WTF? I guess I'm a bit more observative This will be sweet. I've been reading about fiberglassing, but I've never thought to make something for amps. I'll enjoy reading this! I'm curious what the styrofoam is gonna be for? I assume he will use it to carve a shape to glass around? I've heard of that but thought people used a finer foam, like the kind of stuff you can get at hobby lobby.
                      CarPC install is starting to come along again...

Comment

sorry no updates, they cut back at Sams so i THOUGHT i would have time but i had some side jobs pop up and well.... they pay . I'm off on Thursday so expect an update that night or Friday.

"I'm curious what the styrofoam is gonna be for? I assume he will use it to carve a shape to glass around? I've heard of that but thought people used a finer foam, like the kind of stuff you can get at hobby lobby"

yes, the way the JL slash series amps mount there are no mounting tabs on the side of the amp so i will trace the pattern of the side of the amp on the foam and cut it out to use as a mold. I would normally use the pink or blue foam you can get at home depot or lows but styrofoam is free. If time allows i will make a small demo on how to make a fiberglass amp rack for amps with the mounting lip, where the lip will not show.
                        toshiba portege == done
                        audigy2 NX == done
                        7" flush mount == 0%
                        pimp rating == 48%

Comment

where did you find 1/8" MDF? the smallest I've found is 1/2".

Comment

home depot, they had it standing in a little metal devider with chipbord and other small sheets of stuff. I have also used it for mounting rings for kick's and rear decks as its over kill for midranges.
                            toshiba portege == done
                            audigy2 NX == done
                            7" flush mount == 0%
                            pimp rating == 48%

Comment

You sure it's not fiberboard or hardboard?

Comment

Working...
                              X