Speaker Rings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker Rings

I have to make a couple 6.5" mdf rings in about a month. I have read other posts where people were asking about them. If there is interest I'll take some pictures and put together a how-to. They are very simple to make, so a tutorial may not be neccessary. Let me know.

honnestly, just a picture of the jig should be enough to show people how to do it!

a router with a plate on it is what we use....guess I could take a pic of that too if there is interest

=]
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Yes, Yes, I like to know how to do it. If possible, can you take a pic of the plate by itself so that I know what to look for at HW store.

Comment

the plate isn't something that you buy premade...you can but the plate costs like $70. You can make one a lot cheaper....just have to know what to make...
        Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Excuse my ignorance then, What is a "plate"?

Comment

it's essentially a piece of plastic that has holes strategically drilled for different sized speakers...

or if you buy it it looks like this:
            Jan Bennett

Comment

I'd be interested in this as well....
              PC progress:
              {++++++-----} About 60% done. Got the computer all hooked up - So far:
              160 GB hard drive, AMD 64 Processor, MSI K8T NEO Motherboard (w/ 5.1 channel audio)....next is custom case and touchscreen and LOTS of wires..

Comment

I had meant this as an idea more than a step by step. You can use any circle jig you like. The reason I say this is that it is unlikely that many people willl be using the same tools I use. The rings I'm making are recessed about 1/4" on the inside so the speaker sits inside the ring. They are also recessed about an 1/8" on the outside to give a space to staple the cloth. The attached image is a crude rendering of the rings
                Attached Files

Comment

you can make that with two pieces of wood stuck together, or use the router to put a lip on it

=]
                  Jan Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by Red GTi VR6
                    it's essentially a piece of plastic that has holes strategically drilled for different sized speakers...

or if you buy it it looks like this:
                    Now I know what you are talking about.
                    I don't think I can build it myself though, are they sold in specialty stores?

Comment

select used to sell them......not sure if they do anymore or not though
                      Jan Bennett

Comment

do a google for "Router Circle jig" you find tons that you can make yourself. Or contract the manufacture of your router, most likely they make one that fits your router.

Make yourself:
                        http://shop.store.yahoo.com/plansnow/routercircle.html

Store bought:
                        http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product...outer%20circle

Comment

that would have made my life so much easier... i used the jig saw, its a good circle but not that good.
                          1990 Jeep Cherokee
                          2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
                          2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

If you don't have a router and only plan on doing small things you could look at get what is called a laminate trimmer. Which is a small router used to trimming mainate countertops. You might have to do multiple passes. Also a roto-zip, I haven't tried it on MDF, they also come with circle cutter.

Comment

I made these two rings for 12" speakers last night on a whim. I made the "jig" from another piece of MDF... just took the base off the router, drew holes where the screws went, and drilled pilot holes into the mdf for the new jig base. I used a 1/4" straight bit, and it took two passes to go through 3/4" MDF. I found that trying to cut it all the way through on the first pass was just too much for my router.
                              Attached Files
                              2008 Ford Expedition EL Ltd

Carputer yanked from the Jeep and Denali and waiting to be installed in the Ford.

Comment

Working...
                              X