Help with Wiring / Faceplate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Wiring / Faceplate

Alrighty.. well i decided to setup my faceplate... i soldered the whole thing... took it out the car... plugged it all back together.... and it worked... everything went great.... so i held everything in place (made sure it was still working) and i hot glued the back to keep all the wires in place. All was well... untill about 15 min later my screen.faceplate went blank. Now ALL the buttons still work... but the LCD wont light up. Then now it looks as if its going to turn on, but doesnt. Meaning that it flickers on for a brief second then turns off... and will do that over and over.

SO i assumed somehow one if my wires that i solderd got messed up. SO by jiggling the wires in the back (to attempt to see the wire that was causing the problem) i decided my plan of attack. I removed HALF of the glue... and re-soldered that side. Still the same effect. No Display. Now before i go back out there and spend another 2 hours removing and re-soldering the other side... i was hoping that perhaps it was something much simplier.

PLEASE HELP....
    `
    °______//°ŻŻŻŻŻ°/ Dodge Dakota ° //ŻŻŻŻŻ°//°_____//ŻŻ °
    //Ż°ŻŻŻŻ°//___CarPC Completion: 10%___°//ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ//_ °

Anybody Have any ideas? Is it a bad soldering? I am afraid that it may be somewhere deep in the chord and not my soldering. I have 20 terminals, so i had to use 2 cat5 cables and 2 phone chords.... im afraid one of them is faulty.... any ideas?!?
    `

Comment

pics?
      Jan Bennett
      FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Well i could post pics of it... however all you would see is hot glue..... uhmm i guess i can go back out there... clean all that off... and show pics of the soldering... but god thats gonna take forever lol....
        `

Comment

i just extended my faceplate a few days ago and ran into similar issues. I used an old IDE ribbon cable and attatched a a 25 pin coupler inthe middle so its still removable. It works quite well now, but when i was testing it, after a while the screen wouldnt show any information. It would still light up and the buttons would work, but no display. I had to take it all apart (I hot glued mine too) and redo the solder joints. I discovered that on my head unit (JVC) there is only one wire that updates the display inofrmation and it happened to be the one that came off. I just moved it around too much. So check all your solder joints and it will probably work just fine. And make sure that none of the wires are touching more than one contact on the faceplate.
          System: AMD Duron 1200+ , 512 MB ram , usb sb mp3+ , Tview 7" touchscreen , M1-ATX PSU , Slot Load iMac DVD-Rom , 40 GB laptop HDD, netgear USB 802.11g

Progress: Installation: 90% Dash fabrication: 80%

Parts Needed: USB GPS

Comment

Well yesterday when this all happened I jiggled all the wires to see if i could find a culprit... i chose one side.. dug it all up... and re-solderd them all. And i couldnt see any problem with them so i re-glued them down. So today i dug up the other side... I have since fixed on problem by re-soldering (my volume knob was working before) but the display is still messed up. Now that i have re-done this side... i get NO flashes of display (before it would look like it was going to turn on but would turn itself off ie: a flash). Which makes me think it IS on this side... however i cant see anything wrong... so here is a pic. However my camera wouldnt zoom in and take a very clear shot so close... so this is the best i got...
            Attached Files
            `

Comment

Do you have any type of switch or button that tells the head unit when the faceplate is closed so it will turn the display on? I had one that i had to glue down so my HU will turn on at all. It hard to see from your pic, but it looks like there is a liitle too much of the insulation stripped off the wires, its possible they move just enough to short out while your glueing things down. I know you dont want to hear this, but if nothing else works for you I would undo all the soldering and try the faceplate directly on the HU and make sure it works properly there.
              System: AMD Duron 1200+ , 512 MB ram , usb sb mp3+ , Tview 7" touchscreen , M1-ATX PSU , Slot Load iMac DVD-Rom , 40 GB laptop HDD, netgear USB 802.11g

Progress: Installation: 90% Dash fabrication: 80%

Parts Needed: USB GPS

Comment

Alighty.... welp I am going to give it another try... this time I am going to use a 25pin Serial cable... i think it will go smoother with one cable running out the front rather then 4. I will let you all know!
                `

Comment

How long is your cable? If you extend a data wire more than a foot or two, you'll need to boost the signal (which is a lot of work and not worth the effort).

For example, you can't extend an IDE cable more than a foot or two and expect reliability in a computer. The same thing applies for headunit data wires. As the other poster suggested, using a thin wire (like one wire of a ribbon cable), you will get the best performance and probably a longer reach than using a thick wire. Also, the connector or plugs have nothing to do with the signal and they won't improve it.

The reason the buttons work, is because they probably tie to ground when pressed (a common configuration). The data wire(s), however, that are sending a signal to the LCD chip to update the display, is/are getting flaked out because it's receiving sporiadic bits.

Try shortening the length of the cable and using thinner wire. Aside from that, there really isn't much you can do. At least, not that I'm aware of.
                  DashPC - The Linux Car (since 1999).

Dash LCD, Via Epia, GPS, XM, OBDII, DSSC Shutdown Controller.

As seen in the book Geek My Ride

Comment

Well thanks for the reply... and all the information was realy helpfull.... I decided to pull it all off... and clean it all up.. and make sure it was all working without the extension before i tried again. However... it seems that some how i killed my unit. It doesnt work period anymore...

So... i have decided to put off any more "fun" and punish myself and go without any radio or anything in my car for awhile (until I can save up for a new headunit). I probably wont be extending any face plates from here on out. Oh well... no car-puter for me. Thanks for all the help!
                    `

Comment

Working...
                    X