Screen placement in '05 Ford Taurus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screen placement in '05 Ford Taurus

You know what, I really hate the '05 Taurus. My uncle just got one, and he was thinking of putting a carputer. Well, the dumb people at Dord, thought it would be a great idea if they combine the radio and AC into oner whole unit. I personally don't see how he can install a screen if he wants to keep the AC controls. Any ideas?

Peace,

Rafster
    Attached Files
    Post # 3000

my wife drives a 99 taurus with integrated ac controls and radio. (kind of an oval shaped thing) and we have looked into putting a different radio in it. I found that there are aftermarket bezels available that hold the ac contols and give you a din slot for aftermarket radio. Im sure someone makes them for the newer models too. then, if needed you could modify the bezel to hold the screen.
    System: AMD Duron 1200+ , 512 MB ram , usb sb mp3+ , Tview 7" touchscreen , M1-ATX PSU , Slot Load iMac DVD-Rom , 40 GB laptop HDD, netgear USB 802.11g

Progress: Installation: 90% Dash fabrication: 80%

Parts Needed: USB GPS

Comment

I'm sure someone out there makes them too. What bothers me is that Ford didn't think that maybe someone would not like the stock POS stereo that comes with the car, and now has to completely modify the dash area to just be able to even put a different CD player. I don't know if you can see in the picture, but it's actually 1 whole unit. It's not a big unit separated in between like the older Tauruses/Sables.

Peace,

Rafster
      Post # 3000

Comment

our taurus radio/heater control is one entire peice too. No major modification of the dash is required. Im not sure about the 05 but on ours if you take the radio out the heater controls are a seperate unit behind the plastic and can be easily attached to the new bezel. when i was looking the new bezels were about 70 bucks at most car audio places. A lot of cars come with specialized radios now, its not just ford. I dont understand it either, but i guess it gives the interior a unique look and the newer factory systems really arent that bad sounding.
        System: AMD Duron 1200+ , 512 MB ram , usb sb mp3+ , Tview 7" touchscreen , M1-ATX PSU , Slot Load iMac DVD-Rom , 40 GB laptop HDD, netgear USB 802.11g

Progress: Installation: 90% Dash fabrication: 80%

Parts Needed: USB GPS

Comment

here is the bezel adapter i think you will need

http://sm.crutchfield.com/S-71OfiGPr...1&I=142FD1380B

Comment

You know what I would do? Take both the radio and AC controls apart, mod the AC unit and controll it with your computer. That area is perfect for a screen if it werent for the AC unit! Good luck with that But that would be sweet!
            CarPC install is starting to come along again...

Comment

i agree with grayscale here. if you want a really nice looking setup and minimal modifying of the dash, going with computer controlled Heat/AC is probably the best way to go (albeit not simple by any means).
              Your everyday carpc geek and tech guru at your service. *bow*

Comment

It wouldn't be too bad. I wonder if his AC is vacuum tube controlled or not.
                CarPC install is starting to come along again...

Comment

I don't think it is controlled. I have to go back to my uncles house, I will let you guys know in a couple of days. He lives about 3 hrs away.

Peace,

Rafster

BTW... thanks for the suggestions
                  Post # 3000

Comment

pretty sure that thing is vacuumed controlled since its not electronically controlled as far as the radio bezel theres a company called metra that sells the you can order online from the as well , and if your in the states circuit city has them for $35 the one made by metra that is

Comment

You may be able to move the AC controls to somewhere else in the car, it shouldn't be that difficult to do so.
                      Xenarc 7" USB Touch LCD / 3.06 GHz P4 / 512MB DDR / 250GB 7200RPM 16MB HD /
                      DS-ATX 220W / Centrafuse / GPS / XM / 802.11g: 6db / RF Keyboard

Comment

Another Taurus owner. I've got a 2000 SE. To start off, the link above for the adapter isn't recommended. The Metra adapter has had a lot of complaints. The one that I have (from BestBuy) is recommended. It's the Schoche mentioned above. You may be able to fit a 7" widescreen into the adapter thereby allowing you to keep your AC controls. You may also considering purchasing the outer portion of the dash (the dray gray section around the stereo/AC) along with the adapter. Modify both peices to accomodate your choice of screen and by moving the AC controls further down. You may loose your cigerette lighter and the storage compartment.

Just my two cents.

Derek

EDIT:
                        Progress [||-------]
                        View my Worklog to see some of my progress.
                        Downgraded Progress - Starting with another car... 09/13/06

Comment

Looks like there's a cubby hole under the AC controls in that picture. I may be wrong cause I don't own a taurus, but it there is some room below, just mount an in dash down there
                          www.mobile-effects.com

Free file hosting, picture gallery hosting for installs, PM me.

Internet's first Front End Skin browser, featured installs, downloads, links, informative articles - all free to registered users.

Comment

ima taurus owner myself and am in the planning process for a carputer , maybe we should start a thread on making a carputer for the 2000 on up taurus as we taurus drivvers know the problems involved with the ford taurus radio & ac controls integrated bezels that ford trew at us

Comment

well i thought id take a couple pics of the radio / ac mixup in my taurus so you guys can get a better picture of what there is to work with once you remove the radio there is a lot of room for an lcd screen im thinking about cutting out the ac controls and glassing them in the cubby hole just under the radio this is an 01 taurus and i guarantee that it is identical to the 05
                              anyways im not trying to takeover this thread just sharing my project and adding some more into this subject

Comment

Working...
                              X