Dye vs. Paint

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dye vs. Paint

Can anyone describe the difference (if any) between these two processes? Are paint & dye interchangeable terms and if so, why do some people refer to paint and others use dye? I'm asking because I want to change the color of my dash pad ('01 Chevy Tahoe) and am not sure which approach would be better suited for that.

i would think you would want to dye that, the dye will soak in and not scrach or peel off.
    1990 Jeep Cherokee
    2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
    2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

well a dye is added to the marterial and colours it throughout - as webdog says: it wont peel off.

A paint is simply a coating that can affect the texture and finish but can peel off and chip. plastic is dyed, rarely painted. but the effect of dying is limited. if you can make a dyed firbreglass/epoxy dash the right colour and shinyness it should look better than a painted one.

i would use dye if you can as it will soak in and should not make it shiny like paint will. If it goes wrong just paint over it!

Comment

You want vinyl dye. I used special stuff on vinyl Corvette parts and it looks amazing and the finish is NOTHING like paint. The piece literally takes on that color.

Comment

i used paint on my dash pad on my 98 cavalier and it will not dry and will feel like flypaper forever. So go to an auto store and see if they have Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric Dye. That is the only stuff that will work. I used that to change the color of my headliner from tan to black and the fabric in my back window. Its great stuff.

Comment

Vinyl dye is just paint really. You can't dye vinyl, but they make paints especially for vinyl and call them vinyl dye. They do work very well even on seats and steering wheels.
            Fabricator

Comment

Wow. Thanks for all the speedy replies.

Comment

Do you guys know of any material that would create a factory molded abs type of finish? Its a smothe finish but matte so it looks grayish rather than grey
                06' BMW 330i
                SG|Beige Dakota|Poplar|iDrive w/MP3|PP|SP|CWP|PDC|Comfort|Shades|40% Tint

Comment

Working...
                X