Started work on my indash LCD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Started work on my indash LCD

I have my stereo surround piece all cut up and ready for epoxy. I had to keep some of the button blanks, so I moved the left ones up, that's what the hole ion the upper left is for. I have plans to hopefully mount a slot load dvd rom above and to the right of the lcd. All of that area is going to be filled. I'm just gonna cut small pieces of wood or plexiglass, which ever you guys recommend and fill the 3 swares to the right. Tell me what you think. I'd love any advice any seasoned veterans might have. I have the lcd and bezel sanded and prepped for the epoxy, that's why there's white stuff on the lcd, it's white plastic below. The LCD fits so well that it stays in place perfectly now without epoxy. I can't wait to get it all glued together.

Here's a photochop of what I hope to have as a finished product. I want to get a slot load dvd and just have a slit in the dash piece.

Comment

Rock on Tommy! what car is it from? Get some specs in your signature dude so we can see what system your are setting up.

Comment

its gonna look awsome!! just make sure u got room for the drive in the back and post pics to keep us updated :-D

Comment

That looks to be fantastic. Nice one fella.
          4x4 in a turbo stylee.

Comment

My car is a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT. I've been wanting to do this since I bought the car almost a year ago, but I had to plan it all out, then I had to stop spending my money on performance mods for the car and save for the car pc, lol. I got the lcd and the button holes epoxied in. I then cut plastic pieces to fill the holes and have those epoxied. I sanded before epoxying the holes, and sanded a bit of epoxy. Well, a bit of advice, wear gloves, my hands got red and itchy for about 15 minutes afterwards, hehe. Here's a couple more pics of progress. I plan on filling with fiberglass reinforced bondo material tomorrow hopefully.

And if you're curious what the car looks like, here's some pics.

Comment

I was just looking at the piece, and I realized that the deepest place I need to fill will be the right and left side of the lcd, which is about 1/8". Should I just use regular bondo, or stick with the fiberglass reinforced bondo? Thanks guys,

Tommy

Comment

very sweet! looking good on the progress

dont let lexus boy see this thread
                肚子笑痛了
                S60 Install

Comment

that looks great so far...I find that using the Bondo hair is harder to sand but the strength is much greater than that of regular bondo.

keep up with the updates!
                  Lexus SC400
                  Subaru WRX Wagon

Comment

Well, I decided to sand it down tonight and prep it for filling tomorrow. As you can see in the second part, one of the plastic patch pieces I put in got thinned out too much to match the curve, and tehre's a small hole. I want to know, do you guys think I should use more plastic epoxy to fil the hole, or should I use some fiberglass reinforced bondo? I'd like some responses by tomorrow afternoon, cause that's when I'll be working on it next. Thanks again guys,

Tommy

Comment

Got eager and did my first (and only) coat of fiber glass reinforced filler. I got it all sanded and ready for regular filler. This is going much smoother than anticipated. Here's the latest pic:

Comment

Lookin very good so far

Comment

One coat of bondo on it now:

I might be ready for primer by late tonight.

Comment

What about the slot for the dvd drive?? Or have you planned against it mate??

Sweet looking car aswell.. wot is it?? tut tut @ the brit!!

Baz

Comment

I haven't decided against a slot at all, I just won't put the slot in there until I have the dvd-rom. I won't be getting one for a while, so I'll leave it blank for now, and cut a slit when I need it. It will be stronger this way as well. Here's the newest pic after 1 more coat of bondo. I'll be doing at least 1 more coat. We'll see after the next one is sanded.

Comment

Working...
                              X