Considering a screen in my '92 Vette.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering a screen in my '92 Vette.

First post here. I am considering putting a carputer/screen in my '92 vette. It would be mainly used for 2 things- GPS Nav, and Data logging/chip burning while I am at the track. As far as hardware/wiring goes, I think I am set, however, I am having some trouble with where to actually put the screen. Now, the widest I can seem to get space in the dash, is 7". It looks like the 7" touch screens have a width of ~ 7.5". I have attached an image of the dash area in question. The radio is non-standard size, and is about 6.5" wide (for reference). The A/C controls, and the status panel above them, stick out about another 1/2 inch past the radio (cant really be seen in the pic).

I'm wondering if anyone can figure out a good way to install a 7" screen in this space. Re-locating the A/C looks like it would be a BEAR (there is a mechanical arm that hooks up to the back of the A/C controller, and it doesnt look like it could be relocated). However, I have no qualms about eliminating the radio (I can just use a radio card in my car pc). Any tips?

I would probably see if LCD will fit in radio slot, if not, would probably put CarPC into Radio slot, and have screen sticking out in front.

If you already have a spot for the hardware itself, maybe even leave Radio where it is, and just build arms or somehow place LCD over radio.
    ----------------------
    C134 Case
    VIA EPIA M10000
    FrodoPlayer
    iGuidance + GPS
    7" touchscreen LCD
    2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT
    - V6 216hp
    - KYB-AGX adjustable struts
    - Konei Alloy 17" rims + Pirelli P-Zero's
    - AEM slotted brakes
    - AEM CAI

Comment

the actual screen in most 7" touchscreens (lilliput xenarc) is only about 6" wide, of course you need a little more space than that for the surrounding bit but i have no idea where you pulled the 7.5" number from
      Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

Originally posted by Nic
        the actual screen in most 7" touchscreens (lilliput xenarc) is only about 6" wide, of course you need a little more space than that for the surrounding bit but i have no idea where you pulled the 7.5" number from
        That value was pulled from the mp3car.com store:

ex- the Xenarc 700TS
        Dimension (in): 7.75W x 4.75H x 1.38D
        Does anyone have the exact dimensions needed if you pull the guts out of the case?

Comment

hey... you look familiar!

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...5&page=3&pp=15

page 3
          New System in progress:
          M10k
          Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
          Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
          Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
          Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
          Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
          My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

looks like you'll be able to get the screen to fit, even on that screen there is a metal frame that can be covered my the radio bezel
            New System in progress:
            M10k
            Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
            Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
            Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
            Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
            Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
            My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Originally posted by scott_fx
              I guess what I would need to do is 1) cut out a piece of paper for the screen case dimensions, and see how it would fit, 2) cut out a piece for the minimum size if you take the screen out, and see how that would fit. Anyone have the dimensions for #2?

Doh.. looks like #2 is answered in that thread! my bad.

Comment

Working...
              X