How well does Krylon Fusion hold up??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How well does Krylon Fusion hold up??

When I searched I found out that many have suggested to use Krylon Fusion.

How well does it hold up in direct sunlight? I will be painting a pod thats sitting on top of my dash and want to make sure it can take the sun.

Also, is there any other suggestions for paint options that will work in my situation?

Thanks
    Remember AllAdvantage From 7 years ago? IT IS BACK! Now under a new name Agloco
    GET PAID TO SURF THE INTERNET

Originally posted by Rundell
    When I searched I found out that many have suggested to use Krylon Fusion.

How well does it hold up in direct sunlight? I will be painting a pod thats sitting on top of my dash and want to make sure it can take the sun.

Also, is there any other suggestions for paint options that will work in my situation?

Thanks
    I can't speak for fusion, but I've had great luck inside and out using Duplicolor Adhesion Promoter as a primer and using Duplicolor paint over that.
    GE Cache Builder | [email protected] |Coolstuff :autospeed.com | bit-tech.net | Nitemax Ultra Pinouts

Comment

i used fusion for my dash and it seems to hold up pretty well. people use it to paint their adorondack (sp?) chairs which stay outside in the sun all day.
      rebuilding carpc... kinda..

Comment

I used fusion to paint the interior plastic pieces on my car and for the most part hated it. Some times it seems it sprayed only propelant and make all types of wierd spots in the paint. I clear coated the heck out of everything afterwards and it is still easy to scratch off. To me it doesn't penetrate the plastic enough.

Comment

Originally posted by shotgunefx
          I can't speak for fusion, but I've had great luck inside and out using Duplicolor Adhesion Promoter as a primer and using Duplicolor paint over that.
          Where would one buy such a product, it may be hard for me to find it as I live in the middle of no where.

As for the krylon fusion product, I have already put primer on my piece, can I just spray the fusion over that or does it need to be directly on the piece? Also anyone knows if it come in semi-flat black??

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall78
            I used fusion to paint the interior plastic pieces on my car and for the most part hated it. Some times it seems it sprayed only propelant and make all types of wierd spots in the paint. I clear coated the heck out of everything afterwards and it is still easy to scratch off. To me it doesn't penetrate the plastic enough.
            Did you clean off the pieces first? If you dont clean it first (I use rubbing alcohol and a sponge) it will leave small "dips" in the paint.
            I use krylon fusion, and it works very well.
            2011 Nissan Frontier SL
            AMD X3 2.2 | M4-ATX | 16Gb SSD | 2GB DDR3-1333 | MSI GF615M-P33 MB
            OBDPROS USB | BU-303 GPS l LILLIPUT TS | Car2PC adapter | XM Direct | USB Dual band N with custom mag-mount antenna.

Comment

Where would one buy such a product, it may be hard for me to find it as I live in the middle of no where.

As for the krylon fusion product, I have already put primer on my piece, can I just spray the fusion over that or does it need to be directly on the piece? Also anyone knows if it come in semi-flat black??

Thanks
              In the US, Autozone. It's basically a clear primer for plastic so it's not going to work if you paint it over another primer. What did you prime it with anyway? I'm assuming your painting plastic here. If you just used a regular primer, it might lift or peel as your average paint doesn't adhere well (hence the promotor). One way to tell is to put some masking tape on it and see if any paint lifts off.

Normally I'll take a scuff bad to the piece, then wipe it with mineral spirits or prep spray. I let it dry, then two lights coats of adhesion promoter followed by the paint. (Just follow the directions).

If you go this route and use duplicolor paint, you'll have tons of color choices (which is why I ruled out fusion in the first place). The best match for the black parts of my dash was Duplicolor Universal Flat Black.
              GE Cache Builder | [email protected] |Coolstuff :autospeed.com | bit-tech.net | Nitemax Ultra Pinouts

Comment

In the US, Autozone. It's basically a clear primer for plastic so it's not going to work if you paint it over another primer. What did you prime it with anyway? I'm assuming your painting plastic here. If you just used a regular primer, it might lift or peel as your average paint doesn't adhere well (hence the promotor). One way to tell is to put some masking tape on it and see if any paint lifts off.

Normally I'll take a scuff bad to the piece, then wipe it with mineral spirits or prep spray. I let it dry, then two lights coats of adhesion promoter followed by the paint. (Just follow the directions).

If you go this route and use duplicolor paint, you'll have tons of color choices (which is why I ruled out fusion in the first place). The best match for the black parts of my dash was Duplicolor Universal Flat Black.
                The type of primer I used is rust-olem brand, I had it on hand so thats why I used it. I'll try the masking tape and see what happens, i didn't put a lot on it and seems to be very good.

I actually went to autozone today to look at types of paint but I don't remember seeing Duplicolor products. Its not a very big autozone but I'll try taking another look when I'm in the area again. Also, the piece that I'm painting is plastic and epoxy, its a custom pod i made for a 8" lilliput. And just to let you know that my dash is a dark brown color but couldn't find anything that matched it when I went to autozone thats why I figured semi-flat black as thats the closets to it.

Comment

I've never seen an autozone that didn't have some. (I'm in Massachusetts BTW).

Here's a link to the promoter.

The top coat's I use are the touchup paints

They have a were to buy link if that helps.

Comment

I've never seen an autozone that didn't have some. (I'm in Massachusetts BTW).

Here's a link to the promoter.

The top coat's I use are the touchup paints

They have a were to buy link if that helps.
                    If I did go this way I take it I should sand off the primer I have on it and use the promoter?

Comment

If I did go this way I take it I should sand off the primer I have on it and use the promoter?
                      Myself, I would as I've got experience with the promoter. I know it works well. Some parts are over a year old, my grill is over two years old and even though it got smashed up, the paint still looks like new.

The rustoleum stuff, I have no idea. Is it hard to sand the piece?

Comment

Myself, I would as I've got experience with the promoter. I know it works well. Some parts are over a year old, my grill is over two years old and even though it got smashed up, the paint still looks like new.

The rustoleum stuff, I have no idea. Is it hard to sand the piece?

No its not, I think I may sand it all off. Thanks for all your help.

Comment

No problem. Good luck.

Comment

Can anyone post any pics as examples of their like or dislike?
                            1999 Plymouth Voyager (That's right, big-pimpin' in a minivan.)
                            PC built into console
                            worklog with pics: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46359

Some of my music: http://www.myspace.com/markquestion

Comment

Originally posted by Question
                              Can anyone post any pics as examples of their like or dislike?
                              Do you mean as far as finishes or paintjobs? If it's paint jobs, well I'm going to be a little biased

Here's some pics of my stuff (at various stages) I did as outlined above (with a lot of polishing)

It came out good. Not perfect though. I'll probably end up redoing it this summer when I finally get around to putting in the panels I painted last summer

Comment

Working...
                              X