Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

minimum crank voltage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • minimum crank voltage

    I realize this is a "depends on your car" answer but I'm going to ask anyway.

    I'm building (almost done and it looks nice thanks) a center consol for my truck. I'm mounting my xm radio and BC radio on it. I've also built a box for the back of my pickup with speakers in it. The marine speakers are outside making for fun days at the beach, etc. I have some toggles to choose between the internal or external speakers. I also added a volt meter to the console. My truck doesn't have one and I wanted to be able to monitor voltage so as not to kill my battery while at the beach. I bought a radioshack 0-15vdc meter.

    At what coltage should I start to expect my truck to not be able to turn over? Are the aftermarket parts that will prevent the battery from draining too much? I'm taking about running my head unit and XM w/o the car running for a few hours.
    ,./(0)3

    '04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

    [---PC on hold----working on external fiberglass "tool" box---]

  • #2
    :-P

    MP3Car.com Forums > Mp3Car Technical > Fabrication > minimum crank voltage

    Comment


    • #3
      The general rule is 9 volts as a very bare minimum among mechanics. I wouldnt trust that at all thoug. I make 10 volts my cutoff point. But yes it depends on vehicle, battery and the setup. Playing the XM for several hours on the stock electricals?! I dont know about that. If you mean by headunit, a typical stereo with a XM plugin only possibly. Anything outside of that probaly not.
      Osiris Networx

      --Tuning is all about price vs performance. You've got to find your own medium.--

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Osiris
        Playing the XM for several hours on the stock electricals?! I dont know about that. If you mean by headunit, a typical stereo with a XM plugin only possibly. Anything outside of that probaly not.
        Yeah, I have a Roady2 pluged into the AUX of an aftermarket head unit. I'm thinking about adding a sub and amp I hav laying around, but space in me standard-cab is hard to come by
        ,./(0)3

        '04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

        [---PC on hold----working on external fiberglass "tool" box---]

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by xdjxklusivex
          MP3Car.com Forums > Mp3Car Technical > Fabrication > minimum crank voltage
          Are you refering me to my own thread?
          ,./(0)3

          '04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

          [---PC on hold----working on external fiberglass "tool" box---]

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by EBFoxbat
            Yeah, I have a Roady2 pluged into the AUX of an aftermarket head unit. I'm thinking about adding a sub and amp I hav laying around, but space in me standard-cab is hard to come by
            You may be able to stretch a couple of hours out of sub/amp combo also at very moderate listening levels. Really depends on this one. Keep a jumper box around though just for peace of mind.
            Osiris Networx

            --Tuning is all about price vs performance. You've got to find your own medium.--

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by EBFoxbat
              Are you refering me to my own thread?
              I believe he's pointing out that you posted a question about cranking voltage in the Fabrication forum..... Appears a wee bit off-topic to me, despite the fact that you're building a custom console and want a voltmeter in it.
              The question is less about the fabrication efforts and more about how to get teh voltmeter working...
              Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
              How about the Wiki?



              Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by DarquePervert
                I believe he's pointing out that you posted a question about cranking voltage in the Fabrication forum..... Appears a wee bit off-topic to me, despite the fact that you're building a custom console and want a voltmeter in it.
                The question is less about the fabrication efforts and more about how to get teh voltmeter working...

                thank you :-P

                Comment

                Working...
                X