How thick should my texture coat be?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How thick should my texture coat be?

I'm using the SEM texture stuff and just curious how thick it should be.

Thanks
    Matt Atkins
    Seattle5s | President
    '01 M5 Lemans Blue/two tone black and silver interior
    Factory nav.... for now

Old Car (almost sold)
    '98 540i-6 blk/blk
    Dell 300m | Xenarc 7" | Road Runner | iBusCOMM | NaviVoice | Streets & Trips GPS

enough so u cant c ur primer under it and it looks smooth

Comment

so you mean as little as I can get away with right?
      Matt Atkins
      Seattle5s | President
      Factory nav.... for now

Old Car (almost sold)
      '98 540i-6 blk/blk
      Dell 300m | Xenarc 7" | Road Runner | iBusCOMM | NaviVoice | Streets & Trips GPS

Comment

also, is it better to do multiple light coats or one thick coat. If we were talking about regular paint, I know multiple light coats is always better... but this is texture coat, so I'm just asking
        Matt Atkins
        Seattle5s | President
        Factory nav.... for now

Old Car (almost sold)
        '98 540i-6 blk/blk

Comment

id do lots of little light coats because that way u dont have to work with dripping and bubbling what i did when i painted my piece was have 2 hot lamps and my friend fanning it with a cardboard box

Comment

well, eh... anyone use vinyl paint to paint plastic? My dad suggested that there are better paints to use, but I'm unsure of any specifically designed paint for use on plastic (I thought that's what vinyl's for, anyhow). And should I paint in 80+ degrees, fahrenheit? Has anyone painted in temperatures colder than that?

Comment

you can paint in pretty much anything above freezing jusst need sufficient dry time.
              i would say 50 degrees plus would be good. a painting tip is to warm the can of spray paint in hot tap water for 5 or so minutes this lets the paint warm up and makes it spatter less.

Brian

Comment

Should I use a Wax and Grease remover? Duplicolor suggests this for plastics painting. Has anyone seen results when it is used, and it was not used?

Comment

i would use some rubbing alcohol to remove any residue from fingure prints or anything like that. test a section that is hidden first because it might discolor the plastic or even melt it. When using a cleaner always test a section first.

Brian

Comment

I just spray a light even mist coat and don't even get 50% coverage and it looks great after painting. Just make sure you initiate the spray off the part so you don't get those big blobs that first come out on your part. Warming the can in warm water first increases its pressure and improves the spray pattern. I do this with all spray cans.
                    Fabricator

Comment

Working...
                    X