No announcement yet.

Is Epoxy sandable like Bondo?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Epoxy sandable like Bondo?

I'm getting ready to modify a single DIN pre-molded radio bracket into a double DIN enclosure.

The attached picture is what I'm working with (by the way - I HATE autotoys). I'm going to first close off both front pockets (the DIN spot and the pocket) with a piece of ABS Plastic that I plan to cut to the size of each hole and epoxy it into place (with Plastic Weld).

I want to eventually sand the dried epoxy and cut the new 2-DIN holes. Than, I would bondo, sand, bondo, sand, primer, sand, primer, paint, paint.

Is this a good plan?

Attached Files

epoxy is alot harder than bondo, still sands just more work!
    But IMO epoxy sands better (not easier) because its harder to dig a hole in like bondo.
    Still Planning and Scavenging Parts ------Software-----and anything else i can lay my hands on!!! :)

Acquired a Toshiba Satelite 4000CDT
    HDD`s ****ed new one on way! 30gb Toshiba.

Yup, epoxy is sandable, never tried bondo so don't know how it compares, but I did my entire piece with epoxy and it turned out great.
      Remember AllAdvantage From 7 years ago? IT IS BACK! Now under a new name Agloco

Great! Thanks guys!

automix plastic repair is very easy to sand.
          RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Originally posted by bgoodman
          We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

You can get something called "finishing epoxy" made by z-poxy, it sands easier.
            e46|700tsv 2005 model|sb51g xpc2.4ghz opus 150|I-bus|XM Direct&cables | slim slot USB DVD-cdrw|Hawking 54g|iGuidance 2.1-HoluxGPS
            sold it all... :-(

Coming Soon - 2007 BMW 335i UMPC install

I think you can also add filler (microballoons) that might make it easier to sand as well. Altimat would be the authority on that one though.

Yup thats all bondo is - polyester resin with Microballoons (or in the case of Bondo brand - Talc ) added to it.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I began chopping up the radio bracket pictured in the first post tonight. Funny thing is, once I dremel-ed out the pocket, the mounting tabs and a 2 mm sliver of the top, everything fits nearly perfectly. No need to weld in a piece of ABS and dremel out the appropriate hole.

The 700IDT I have is a little wider than my radio so, as you can see in the picture, it all works out very well (since the radio pocket is wider than the 1/2 DIN pocket). I just need to apply bondo, primer and paint this weekend. I'll return the Plastic Weld and get my $5 back. Wish me luck people!