Fabrication

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fabrication

I am about to start the fabrication of my removable LCD in my dash. I have been reading a lot of the post posted in the section and I hear a lot about bondo. I am looking for the easiest, quickest, and cheapest solution. Though since its going to be removable it has to have strength because it will be handled a lot.

Bonding the LCD to the dash bezel I was thinking about using epoxy. Link

For filling and sanding I was thinking about using bumper repair. Link

Or liquid plastic. Link

Any suggestions?
    `
    ,,`,,
    ,,`,,
    ``,,`,,` `
    ,,`,,
    ,,`,,
    `
    `

send it to me and i can do it for a decent price just pm me

Comment

Anyone????
      `
      ,,`,,
      ,,`,,
      ``,,`,,` `
      ,,`,,
      ,,`,,
      `
      `

Comment

cut ur dash to the size of the bezel - take ur bezel and hot glue it onto the dash from BEHIND dont let the glue seep to the front so tape it up or just use a minimum ammount - then take mr bondo and spread it over mrs dash let it dry sand sand sand and did i mention sand? then fill then sand then fill then sand and once more fill and sand prime it sand it if u need to prime it again then paint it sand it if u need to then paint it again - you dont have to sand that many times but the more time u spend on it the better it will come u can halfass it if u want :-D

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer
          ^^^^^^^
          What he said. Plus you might want to sand it a bit.
          i mentioned sanding like 20 times lol :-D

Comment

I'm not worried about the sanding, I, more concerned with getting the right materials. Specifically what the exact name of the stuff that ya'll use?
            `
            ,,`,,
            ,,`,,
            ``,,`,,` `
            ,,`,,
            ,,`,,
            `
            `

Comment

hot glue sticks - bondo body filler - and bondo spot filler and just whatever u want to use for sand paper use a high build primer

Comment

Could liquid plastic replace the bondo?
                Car Mods
                -no car mods

Comment

What grit sand paper should I use after the bondo dries?
                  `
                  ,,`,,
                  ,,`,,
                  ``,,`,,` `
                  ,,`,,
                  ,,`,,
                  `
                  `

Comment

You are much better off using the epoxy instead of hot glue. Hot glue will release if it gets hot enough......seen it happen. There is a product called Duramix you should check out. It is designed to repair plastic which means it is designed to bond to plastic. You should use the Duramix or epoxy to bond the two pieces and as a filler. You can rough that up and then use a body filler to smooth it. Getting the panel smooth and looking good is not the the hard part. Getting the panel to be strong and have proper adhesion is the hard part. Make sure you scuff up all the areas the epoxy will be touching or glue. Making deep scratches in the plastic is like having a bunch of little finger holding your adhesive in place.

Comment

^^^thanks! I scrapped the removable LCD idea. Now I'm going to be bonding the LCD to MDF board.

Which grit sand paper should I use to sand the bondo body filler?
                      `
                      ,,`,,
                      ,,`,,
                      ``,,`,,` `
                      ,,`,,
                      ,,`,,
                      `
                      `

Comment

That depends on what you are trying to do. I use 80 grit to get the proper shape....rough in work. Then I go to 320 for a smooth finish. I always prime my pieces with a high fill polyester primer which then gets wet sanded with 600 for a very smooth finish.

Comment

Working...
                        X