Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making scoops for my fiberglass/abs car...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making scoops for my fiberglass/abs car...

Well, I just got in a wreck over the weekend...so right now I'm repairing the damage...so I'm going to have to paint the tiny sports car. I want to install a rear extractor scoop and glass it into the deck lid for heat extraction, and some nice outie induction scoops for the sides....but I need tips.

I was thinking for the overall shape...I could use cardboard to make sure I get the shape...then use some wire around the edges to keep the shape and tape the wire onto the cardboard...then use some kind of polyester shirt (not sweatshirt because thats too thick) and start with the outside by stretching it to the outside shape it should be. but I dont know what to use to turn that into the hard shape....I have half a gallon of Bondo.... But I dont know if that is what I should use. And then I could do the same to the other side, then continuously add the fiberglass stuff (whichever you recomend) to get a really hard shape...then bondo it into the decklid. and sand it down to get smooth.

but I need a tip on what I should use....I think I'll only need about a gallon....but whats something I could get for like 30 bucks? Any tips on how to make a good shape or somethin?
    -Josh
    1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    My URL: https://www.facebook.com/jagray85

XBOX: DarkerStars

Yes, don't waste yor time. Search around there are tons of pre-made fiberglass scoops and ducts available for $20-30. Most of these are made for race cars.
    Fabricator

Comment

I dont want a pre made scoop. And they aren't for 20-30 bucks unless you get a cheap peice of **** thats the size of a bottle cap. I know how to add parts to the car and how to make sub enclosures n ****...but I just dont know how to make something from scratch. And I can make it, I'm about to open a body shop up in my garrage so this is stuff I need to know, being the owner. So please help.
      -Josh

Comment

Modeling clay works well for making shapes, then you can lay a couple layers of fiberglass mat over it.
        1.6GHz HP e-PC, 768MB RAM, 120GB WD HDD, Slim DVD-ROM, Onboard sound & video, 7" Lilliput, USB GPS Mouse, Audiovox FM Modulator, Vector 400 Watt Power Inverter, Windows XP Pro SP2, iGuidance 2, 15" Samsung LCD for the rear *Carputer not installed*

Comment

yeah make the item as you want it from clay or clay covered plywood then make a female mold from it using fibreglass. Then you have a good strong mold to use and re-use.

Comment

get a & b mixing foam, then with a belt sander, get it around the shape you want it, then make a mold out of plaster of paris or fiberglass and glass it that way. i think that would acheive what your looking for the most

Comment

Buy a sheet of urethane foam, shape it, glass it, fill it, clean the foam back out of the back side. Done.
              Fabricator

Comment

Originally posted by shotgunefx
                Doesn't sound like it applies here, but one thing to watch out for with plastic or fiberglass hood scoops is that the filler will often crack due to the expansion/contraction of the metal over the engine.
                yeah it wouldn't apply here because the decklid and hood are fiberglass... Its a pontiac fiero gt.

all those idea's are awsome. And I will use most of them to make my shapes...I dont know why I didn't think of them. But onto the glassing. I know the best way to do it would be using fiberglass mat....but is there any other ways...cheap ways? I heard about using a sweat shirt with alot of polyester...acts like a great mat, because the resin disolves something in the polyester.... any places you know I can get some good fiberglass/resin from? I got the stuff to make the shape....but I need fiberglass now.
                -Josh

Comment

If I could make a mold of these things...so I can just make one whenever I want...I know an entire forum of people who'd pay me big bucks for things.... hehe...
                  -Josh

Comment

You can make a mould so u can make several easily.
                    First you will need to make a "plug" basically the shape of what u want but solid, out of foam or wood, MDF`s good for it. The smother you can make the plug the better because ay imerfections here will shw on every one u make
                    Second you take your mould off of the plug, using lots of reinforcements, so when u doing the moulding of the bit u want it wont warp.

Hope it helps
                    Still Planning and Scavenging Parts ------Software-----and anything else i can lay my hands on!!! :)

Acquired a Toshiba Satelite 4000CDT
                    HDD`s ****ed new one on way! 30gb Toshiba.

Comment

Working...
                    X