Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

where to buy a mount for a SPAL actuator?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where to buy a mount for a SPAL actuator?

So, I got this 6" actuator which I think is made by spal...

I would like to buy (vs build) a mount for the base.. I have soo many other parts to build.. I would like off-the-shelf actuator mounts...

Does anyone have the spal actuator? is there a place that sells many guages of mounting brackets?

(I have included a pic of the sort of thing Im looking for)
    Attached Files
    1995 SL stock
    Working On: GMAT
    Given Up On: Custom motorized lcd

www.selectproducts.com has them.

Comment

Ahh indeed sir, thats where I got the pic.. but.. do the SelectProducts mounts fit the SPAL actuators?..
      I should have ordered from this place, as they sell actuators, mounts, and are about 10% cheaper
      1995 SL stock

Comment

I do believe the mount from Select works with the Spal actuator. Honestly I cringed when I posted that link for you because Select is VERY overpriced but it was the only place I have seen with those mounts. The web site you pointed to is cool...thanks. Have you thought about making your own mount? Angled aluminum works very for that kind of job and is easy to get.

Comment

Ive thought about it.. but see.. right now Im trying to build a custom motorized flip out&up pda mount (so my Garmin IQUE will motorize out like a motorized lcd would).. So, I already have a few things to custom engineer.. I want to get off-the-shelf for these suckers...
          I just bought the Select works mounts... its worth a shot.. even if they dont fit its worth a try, Im anxous to see if my motorization design will work
          1995 SL stock

Comment

Sounds cool...post up pics when you get it together. I would like to see how you make the monitor come out and flip up with an actuator. Sounds really cool.

Comment

Looks like two "L" brackets and a bolt- whats to fabricate?

Comment

Well.... yeah, I mean, more or less.. but for reliable operation, the brackets have to be kinda exact..
                One doesnt want any traction between the bolt and actuator connection bracket... so if the bolt has threads.. or isnt the exact size of the clevis hole on the actuator... the actuator and mounting bracket wont rotate smoothly.. which can be a problem. Especially if the bolt is held on with a nut that can unscrew. The rotation of your actuator could unscrew the bolt..
                The bolt part of a good mounting bracket shouldnt be able to unscrew.
                The mount bracket the bolt part should match the width of the actuator terminal so there is no play..

If the actuator gets pointed in the wrong direction could prolly punch a hole in a dash.. atleast screw up plastics... many of these things can push 100lb or so...

Im also looking for a fairly compact bracket.. really something no larger then necessary, so.... Since I dont want to weld.. or machine... or search for just the right parts... cause Im dying to see if this popout & fold up mount is going to work.... I went with off-the-shelf.
                1995 SL stock

Comment

You can install a circuit breaker or fuse on the actuator to help against it breaking anything. I have seen actuators really tear stuff up. It was because the builder did not know assemble the systems correctly but that is besides the point. It takes alot to stop an actuator. Like you said Gt it can really mess up your dash. But from the way you are talking I doubt you will be the set up wrong.

Comment

Oh man, I just got the suckers today, and whoa.. are these brackets huge. I donno, I may have to use the pin, and build the rest as davesaudio2 suggested.
                    The metal is 3/16 thick! 1.5" on each side...
                    1995 SL stock

Comment

Working...
                    X