Pc case made from hardboard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pc case made from hardboard

I am making a case for my mobo/pc components out of hardboard ... and i was just wondering if anyone had any ideas for a better way of attaching the sides of the hardboard (to the other pieces of hardboard)...

currently i am just using metal hinges... but they arent too strong..and are kind of expensive if i use alot and make it more sturdy... im looking for a cheap, compact, and sturdy way of making a case out of hardword... without having to make it any larger
    Attached Files
    AT mobo
    Intel Pentium MMX 233mhz
    ESS Solo PCI soundcard
    Linksys NIC
    Irman

use blocks of wood and screw into them or possibly buy aluminum L pieces and cut to length

Comment

hmmm yea , i was thinking about the blocks of wood... except i think i already made the pieces of hardboard too small for anything that big.. (meaning the bottom piece of hardboard is only slightly bigger than the mobo itself)

i might try that.. but if anyone has any other ideas, feel free to help me out
      AT mobo
      Intel Pentium MMX 233mhz
      ESS Solo PCI soundcard
      Linksys NIC
      Irman

Comment

use thin aluminum L sections on the outside of the wood.give it a stronger edge, tidy things up, and its cheap. To fasten it - your choice of glue, screw, bolt, rivet etc.
        92 Subaru Legacy Wagon

Epia MII12000 :D
        Morex 80W
        120G External HDD
        16x2 Charater Display
        Creative IR Remote
        VIA Sereniti 2000 Mini ITX Case
        7.2Ah SLA Tank
        PCMCIA 802.11b
        256DDR Ram

Diamonds are for girls- wise men follow the stars

Comment

what type of glue would hold aluminum (or steel?) to hardboard?
          AT mobo
          Intel Pentium MMX 233mhz
          ESS Solo PCI soundcard
          Linksys NIC
          Irman

Comment

i dont think there would be a good way to glue it unless you drilled holes in the hardboard to allow for more surface area. If you do that, than just use epoxy.

Comment

supposedly that gorilla glue is good for metal.. try that junk out.. $5 at homedepot or lowes or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuckie
                i dont think there would be a good way to glue it unless you drilled holes in the hardboard to allow for more surface area. If you do that, than just use epoxy.
                so your saying in order to use epoxy, i should first drill holes in the hardboard where i am going to attach the L brackets? Or instead of drilling holes to be used with glue, i should use epoxy?
                AT mobo
                Intel Pentium MMX 233mhz
                ESS Solo PCI soundcard
                Linksys NIC
                Irman

Comment

Hmmm. things i would try - but would depend on the size of the L brackets. Say if you had 20-30mm+ overlap then i would try araldite, epoxy, or some sort of contact adhesive. If you were going to glue - i would hit both surfaces with a 100-200 grit sandpaper. Also - with glue - a screw or two of some sort may be a good idea
                  92 Subaru Legacy Wagon

Epia MII12000 :D
                  Morex 80W
                  120G External HDD
                  16x2 Charater Display
                  Creative IR Remote
                  VIA Sereniti 2000 Mini ITX Case
                  7.2Ah SLA Tank
                  PCMCIA 802.11b
                  256DDR Ram

Diamonds are for girls- wise men follow the stars

Comment

Originally posted by wizawuza
                    supposedly that gorilla glue is good for metal.. try that junk out.. $5 at homedepot or lowes or whatever.

I recommend Home Depot.
                    2007 Honda Fit Sport 1.5L SOHC-VTEC

Comment

The Gorilla glue expands like crazy when it cures and makes a horrible mess. You'll find out exactly how well it sticks when you try to clean the excess off.
                      Fabricator

Comment

Originally posted by nzKAOSnz
                        Hmmm. things i would try - but would depend on the size of the L brackets. Say if you had 20-30mm+ overlap then i would try araldite, epoxy, or some sort of contact adhesive. If you were going to glue - i would hit both surfaces with a 100-200 grit sandpaper. Also - with glue - a screw or two of some sort may be a good idea
                        sounds like a plan,
                        ill see how it works and post if i have any problems
                        AT mobo
                        Intel Pentium MMX 233mhz
                        ESS Solo PCI soundcard
                        Linksys NIC
                        Irman

Comment

Originally posted by toadster123
                          I am making a case for my mobo/pc components out of hardboard ... and i was just wondering if anyone had any ideas for a better way of attaching the sides of the hardboard (to the other pieces of hardboard)...

currently i am just using metal hinges... but they arent too strong..and are kind of expensive if i use alot and make it more sturdy... im looking for a cheap, compact, and sturdy way of making a case out of hardword... without having to make it any larger

Is that an ISA SLOT??!?!

Comment

go to home depot and get some aluminum L brackets drill into them then tap the holes you drilled. you can then screw directly into that. (use a lock washer or loc-tite just in case)
                            New System in progress:
                            M10k
                            Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
                            Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
                            Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
                            Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
                            Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                            My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Originally posted by dmurray14
                              Is that an ISA SLOT??!?!
                              Watch the specs of his carputer. ISA slots weren't uncommon back in the era of Pentiums 233mmx.

I too have an isa slot on my ol' trusty kt7133A

A box made with hardboard ? Yep, I plan using something similar, excepte the box is a tiny tool box

Now Galileo is real. Muhahahahaha :p

Comment

Working...
                              X