Painting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting

Ok, so my Uncle is practically done doing the fab work on the screen. Now we just need to paint it. The paint that he used was awful. It scratches off if you touch it with your nail, or it gets fingerprints
    So we got some vynil paint, and that seems a bit better, but it still scratches off.

Anyone have tips/guides on how to paint, and some paint recommendations? I need a black non-glossy for the outside and a black glossy for the inside of the bezel.
    PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
    GammaControl v2.4
    SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

bumper paint!!!
    ive never had any flake off even if i try...
    (pepboys)when i get home ill see if i can find the can with the brand on it...
    1990 Jeep Cherokee
    2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
    2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

What is the part made out of? You need to match the paint to the substrate. Also a good primer should be used since you most likely have multiple substrates...plastic,body filler, and proably fiberglass. I use an epoxy high fill primer. It will fill medium scratches and sand perfectly smooth with ease. Are you applying the paint with a gun or spray can? What kind of end result are you looking for?

Comment

Originally posted by WebDog
        bumper paint!!!
        ive never had any flake off even if i try...
        (pepboys)when i get home ill see if i can find the can with the brand on it...
        Oh! What's the texture like?
        How about glossy/nonglossy?
        GammaControl v2.4
        SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Originally posted by SickVette
          What is the part made out of? You need to match the paint to the substrate. Also a good primer should be used since you most likely have multiple substrates...plastic,body filler, and proably fiberglass. I use an epoxy high fill primer. It will fill medium scratches and sand perfectly smooth with ease. Are you applying the paint with a gun or spray can? What kind of end result are you looking for?
          Well, the thing is that we've had problem painting the stock bezel. Its what came with the car. I need this part to be painted with a non-glossy paint because it would look more stock.

Spray can.
          GammaControl v2.4
          SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

You have seen my install thats using bumper paint! I just prime it then paint, i have like 3 diff materials to fiberglass bondo and the stock plastic under it and it works fine.

Its smooth and they have gloss and flat.
            1990 Jeep Cherokee
            2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
            2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by WebDog
              You have seen my install thats using bumper paint! I just prime it then paint, i have like 3 diff materials to fiberglass bondo and the stock plastic under it and it works fine.

Its smooth and they have gloss and flat.
              Ok. I'm still open to suggestions for like a day

I want my damn dashboard back already!
              GammaControl v2.4
              SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

I used duplicolor trim paint, stuff is very hard, I have tried scratching it with my fingernail with no problems
                肚子笑痛了
                S60 Install

Comment

Originally posted by jcdillin
                  I used duplicolor trim paint, stuff is very hard, I have tried scratching it with my fingernail with no problems
                  It seems like its only available in flat black.

How long did you let it try for? And how long did it take for the primer to dry?
                  GammaControl v2.4
                  SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Originally posted by jcdillin
                    Where did you pick that up...autoparts store?
                    ---------------------
                    Crazy Miami Drivers
                    R.I.P. My first ever NEW Car
                    Old installation
                    New Install!!!

|-------------------100%|Cables ran
                    |----------------85%----|Software RR
                    |--------------80%------|Complete
                    [/SIZE]

Comment

i've used sem interior auto trim paint. it is flexible and low sheen. but your problem is surface prep. You have to sand the the piece first then put a flash coat (pretty much a lite speckled coat) the let it dry according to the can. this will give it some 'tooth' then apply the primer coats. let these dry according to the can then top coat.

the most important thing about the top coat, besides thin coats, is to apply them within the specified amount of time on the can. if you go over the 15 minutes or so that they say on the can then you have to let the piece fully cure before you can sand and then paint again (48 hours to be safe). regardless; after about 3 coats of product you should sand it a bit.
                      New System in progress:
                      M10k
                      Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
                      Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
                      Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
                      Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
                      Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                      My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

yo bro go to autozone or kragen they got the cheepo brand paint for like 1.50 or 2.50 a can and that **** works awsome every time i used a really pricy brand of paint i always got ****ty results and then i try the cheepo stuff and it looks awsome make sure u prime it like 2 layers make sure uget sandable primer and then paint it up let it sit bout 45 minz between each coat it will turn out sexi

Comment

Originally posted by xdjxklusivex
                          yo bro go to autozone or kragen they got the cheepo brand paint for like 1.50 or 2.50 a can and that **** works awsome every time i used a really pricy brand of paint i always got ****ty results and then i try the cheepo stuff and it looks awsome make sure u prime it like 2 layers make sure uget sandable primer and then paint it up let it sit bout 45 minz between each coat it will turn out sexi
                          Some pics of the cheap paint?
                          GammaControl v2.4
                          SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

all at www.mobile-effects.com - picture gallery - cali install bay

Comment

I'm using this one but metallic- charcoal:

http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/pr...?product=37853

I just put some coats of filler primer.

Hope it helps.
                              RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Originally posted by bgoodman
                              We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

Comment

Working...
                              X