Smooth Factory Finish

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smooth Factory Finish

Just wondering how you guys get a perfect smooth finish with bondo.
    What i Did was install my LCD but i had to cut out the cigarette lighter,
    and the ash tray.
    So now I have an empty space. Well I started filling in the holes, by making a frame (out of cd jewel case parts) then used epoxy to get it in place and mount. then I started filling in the holes with Bondo, (tons of it). it is pretty much level, but still wavey ( not even everywhere) so I used some glazing putty. btw. I have sanded a ton to try and get it smooth. just seems like it never gets anywhere.
    It helped even it out a bit, but i think that if I spray paint it, it will still look a bit wavy and not smooth.

What do you guys recommend..?

Thanks

sand, smooth, sand, smooth, sand, smooth, rinse repeat.
    Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
    http://hallert.net/

Comment

pics would help but mostly u need a sanding block and alot of time

Comment

How many hours did you put into it?

Like the rest said... sand and use progressivly less course sanding paper.
        -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

Always use a block.
          Fabricator

Comment

I've put like 2-3 days into this thing, and it's not very big. it's like a little widder than a dvd case and half the height.

But I guess I will just keep going.
            Thanks guys

Comment

I find wet n dry sandpaper at a courseness of 1200 seems to do well with plenty of water. Wet sanding is the key IMHO.
              FociMan

Ford Focus Collection
              EPIA M10K / 512Kb / Creative Audigy NX USB
              8" touchscreen
              D-Link USB Radio
              USB GPS Mouse
              Bluetooth GPRS Web Connection
              Centrafuse Beta2 / MapMonkey

Comment

1200 is waaaay too fine for bondo. That is a grit that might be used for color-sanding paint prior to polishing. I don't go finer than 180-320 with bondo. Wet-sanding is also not recommended with bondo. It absorbs water like a sponge and its possible to trap moisture in the filler which can cause problems with the topcoats later.
                Fabricator

Comment

do you guys use polisher on your pieces after you have painted. or is some clear coat just as good...

Comment

You usually want a semi-flat or flat finish on interior parts so I use neither.
                    Fabricator

Comment

Originally posted by Altimat
                      You usually want a semi-flat or flat finish on interior parts so I use neither.

What kind of block you recomend??? I when back to the place where I got the evercoat filler and bought one (the have three kinds...I end buying the soft one) it cos $3 bucks so if I got the wrong one I just get the right one..

Thanks altimat
                      Attached Files
                      RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Originally posted by bgoodman
                      We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

Comment

Pic #2
                        Attached Files

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Comment

Altimat is correct.....NO LIQUIDS ON BODY FILLER. If you want a piece to have a glass like surface you need to use a high fill primer and sand that. I sand all my body filler with 80 grit and stop there. A few coats of primer and it is perfect. If you are looking for a factory finish there are paints available for that. I still prime my pieces and then apply the paint. If you want a high gloss finish the clear coat will be needed and depending on how well the clear coats lays out you might need to wet sand and buff.

thanatos....that is an excellent sanding pad. I buy those a dozen at a time. You can purchase rolls of sticky backed sand paper to apply to it or wrap a piece around it but the sticky works better. If you are not going to use the pad for a while remove the paper when you are finished with it. Paper left on the pad can detoriate and leve residure behind if left on the pad too long.

Comment

Thanks for the info sickvette.

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Comment

cool guys.. took your advice.. it match completly perfect to the exsisting interior. texture and all.. will post pics when I get a chance

Comment

Working...
                              X