bondo shrinking?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bondo shrinking?

Has any one experienced bondo shrink after painting.
    I heard that using bondo and having it in really hot weather will make it shrink in like a week, so you need to add more.

has anyone had this problem with there fab projects??

Thanks

If you put it on too thick, then yes, it can shrink or cave in once it's dry. Apply it in thin layers and let it cure in the right temperature range, and you'll be fine.
    Progress: [II--------] 20% - Gettin there...

Comment

I'm going through the same problems. I recently "finished" my screen mounting/finishing. Well, today it got up above 90 degrees, and with the windows up it was pretty damn hot in there. I was happy witht he finish I accomplished, but now the bondo is cracking. I'm loosing faith in bondo, and plan on going with a almost total fiberglass mounting, and on rely on bondo for very minor final finishing. Live and learn. No matter how much you read about this kind of stuff, experience and experimenting is the only way to get the results you want.

P.S. Is Bondo-Glass a good product to use for shaping, or will it crack too?

Thanks,

Chris

Comment

you can put fiberglass hairs into bondo to make it stronger i do that when i have thin pieces on the side and they are flexy it holds well

Comment

hmm. thanks for the replys.. I'm afraid that when it comes winter here (-30).. my bondo will crack..

what do you guys think..

Comment

reinforce it with fiberglass hairs!

Comment

to late.. already ready for primer.. it's smooth as glass now.. but I just thought about this problem now... :S

Comment

ehhh give it a shot
                it prolly wont crack i havnt had mine crack and ive got bout 1inch thick of bondo

Comment

ya mine is about an inch thick.. so it shoudl be all good.
                  Cheers guys!!

P.S should regular primer work with bondo or should i get different stuff. I have..KRYLON Primer

Comment

The bondo itself usually doesn't crack, but the materials expand at different rates with temperature changes causing the bondo to lose adhesion with the plastic. Make sure everything you apply it over is well sanded, and reinforce the backside as well as possible.
                    Fabricator

Comment

once again mista mike tha mastermind comes to the rescue :-D

Comment

thanks good advice. This is my first project, but it's turning out really well. I will post pictures when I can. I don't have any before, but if you know what a acura vigor gs interior looks like then you know what I am dealing with.

Comment

Bondo is not designed to applied thick or as an adhesive. Bondo is a surfacing agent...meaning it is meant to get a smooth surface with minimal effort. Bondo that is too thick can and will often shrink and crack. Bondo that is mixed too hot will shrink and crack. When building a project..any kind of project...the base material should be built up as much as possible so that only a think layer of body filler is needed to bring it to a finished surface. Also do not use any kind of liquid on body filler. The filler will absorb the liquid and then release it later as it gets hot and evaporates. Only clean bondo with a tac cloth..once it is primed and sealed a degreaser or prepsol can be used.

Comment

Working...
                          X