Embossed logos beneath suede?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Embossed logos beneath suede?

Could anybody tell me the best way to go about embossing an mg logo on a panel trimmed with suede. The link above shows an example of what I mean.

The two attached images are of the logo and the build into which it will be going. The logo will be in the centre of the centre panel running diagonally up the boot/trunk.
    Attached Files

One technique is to make a form in the shape you want. Stretch, form and glue the suede to the form. The thinner the suede is the easier it will be to work with.
    If It's Called Tourist Season, Why Can't We Hunt Them?
    I Just Do What the Voices Inside My Head Tell Me to Do.
    The Definition of an Upgrade: Take old bugs out, put new ones in.
    Texas DOS: Y'all reckon? (Yep/Nope)

Comment

To do a logo like that is pretty easy. You can do it a couple of ways. One is with closed cell foam. Which is a which semi hard foam that you can cut with a razor or scissors. Lay a pattern on the foam, cut it out, glue the foam to your panel, and then glue the suede to the panel.

The other way is to cut it out of 1/4" wood. Then do the same process. Personally I only use the wood. The foam does not create as good of an edge at wood does and it often gets dimples in it. If you can get someone to cut out that logo for you with a CNC laser. Also when covering it with the suede start from the inside and work your way outwards. Take your time and make sure the material has a good bond inside all the low parts otherwise it will rise out later and no longer look like the logo.

Comment

:-D perfect answers that **** will get you where you need just take ur time cutting the foam or wood!!

Comment

I am a part owner in a laser engraving business (CNC laser) here in Altanta, GA. If you would like to contact me re: what we may be able to do, please email nakedfarmanimals@gmail.com

Yes, that is serisouly a valid email address.

We have done a lot of custom "corporate seals" in Delrin (plastic material) for various customers. I am just getting into the carputer concept (2000 Volvo S80 -- huge 2-din dash!) and would definitely be open to helping people out!

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by geekasaurus_rex
            I am a part owner in a laser engraving business (CNC laser) here in Altanta, GA. If you would like to contact me re: what we may be able to do, please email nakedfarmanimals@gmail.com

Yes, that is serisouly a valid email address.
            Dude, I'll offer you another GMail address if you want, just so you don't have to make that statement anymore!
            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
              Dude, I'll offer you another GMail address if you want, just so you don't have to make that statement anymore!
              Could you make me that same offer?

Also what would you use to glue the suede to the plywood?

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyM
                Could you make me that same offer?

Also what would you use to glue the suede to the plywood?
                I hope when you say plywood you are using a loose general term. Plywood is a lousy material to use in custom audio. It cuts lousy, it has a horrible finished surface and is heavy. If you are talking birch plywood or sandply that is a different story.

Suede is a thin material so anything you place it over needs to be perfect or all the imprefections will show through. With that in mind a good quality contact adhesive should be used to attach the suede to the piece. I use a commercial spray adhesive from a gun. If something like that is not available to you 3M has a good adhesive in a can available at Home Depot...it is called Super 33.

Comment

im not too sure about suede but i know that when the sound shop did my custom box they used vinyl to cover it up. anything embossed underneath they used 1/4 or 1/8 sheet of wood and cut it out with a jigsaw. in your case youll need a scroll saw to cut it out perfect. after that just glue it onto the wood and suede over it. you shouldbe okay.
                  i got dat ***** sittin on 22s! SUPERMAN EDITION!

Comment

TimmyM You need a gmail account? Whats your email,I will send one over?

Comment

Nice to see an MG on the boards!! I have a 65 B.
                      Spent so far: $1,755
                      Check Out My Work Log for Specs/Pics
                      CarPC Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!].....Installation[---------+].....Pastrami Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]
                      Don't mess with Texas.
                      It's not nice to pick on retards!

Comment

Originally posted by IxTanGxI
                        TimmyM You need a gmail account? Whats your email,I will send one over?

Thanks, but someone has already contacted me, but if that falls through I'll send you an email. Thanks, Tim

Comment

I used to do custom audio fabrication. When a person wanted any thing done like that I used Original Dynamat or the pink dynamat. Please forgive me; I canít remember the proper name. Do Not Use Dynamat Extreme!!!. Dynamat extreme will dimple when touched. Just make a template on paper, then cut it out and place or tape it on to the dynamat. Then use a sharp exacto-knife or razor blade and cut out the shape. Then peal the backing off the dynamat and either stick it to where you want it or to more mat and go double thick. One other thing you could to is to cut another template about 5mm smaller than the original for a stacked look. Or cut the edges at a 45-degree angle and have it smoother instead of staggered. Well I hope that helps.

Comment

How would you do something like this, embosing, but in like say a head rest or some other situation were you can't really glue a wood cut out onto? Been wondering this for sometime now!
                            Panelrodder
                            1953 GMC Panel Truck
                            2007 Pontiac G6
                            2008 Chevrolet Silverado
                            www.lunacium.com

Comment

plastic sheet is ideal for situations with curves...beveled edges give a nice touch...
                              MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Working...
                              X