fiberglassing trouble with resin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fiberglassing trouble with resin

Okay, so ive been reading these forums and the some other sites on how to fiberglass. i went to the local lowes and bought everything. i cut out the circle 3/4 inch mdf board. i prep everything. i mixed up the harder and resin and then apply. the the problem that happened was i couldnt get the fiberglass mat to form around the edge of the circle. the resis harded in the bucket 3 minutes after mixing it up. the can's direction was 14 drops per once. that seemed kinda high to me, but in some of the threads ive read this is not high at all. what can i do to make the fiberglass form around the edges of the wood better and how can i stop the resin from harding so quickly?
    Car Progess Report:
    Planning: 100%
    Purchasing and Fabrication: 10%
    ---------------------------------
    Overall: 10%

still needa do alot more searching :-D

u need a mold on the bottom to attach the circle to then you need to wrap it in fleece and put resen on the fleece then apply fiberglass over the fleece

i cant believe you measured 14 drop to one once haha ive never measured!

and if it gets hard too fast thin it out with acitone

Comment

What kind of fleece?
      Car Progess Report:
      Planning: 100%
      Purchasing and Fabrication: 10%
      ---------------------------------
      Overall: 10%

Comment

You can take a look at my project (in my signature), I have my fiberglassing project for my sub box described (it's not finieshed yet though)

My mix take approx 10mins to harden, it gives me enough time to do a complete layer. Don't mix up too much of resin at the same time
        Via Epia M10000 / 512 DDR / 10gigs 3.5 HD / M1-ATX / Innovatek 7" TS Screen
        Trunk fiberglassing in progress...
        Need GPS / Aux Input / WiFi

My Corolla Computer

Comment

Oh and by the way, take a look at these tutorials

http://web.njit.edu/~cas1383/proj/main/
          Via Epia M10000 / 512 DDR / 10gigs 3.5 HD / M1-ATX / Innovatek 7" TS Screen
          Trunk fiberglassing in progress...
          Need GPS / Aux Input / WiFi

My Corolla Computer

Comment

Originally posted by Sillydipstixs18
            What kind of fleece?
            100% polyester works best but u can use just normal thin cloth or shirt

Comment

Humidity and operating temp effects how fast the resin will dry. Here in Florida it is so humid I put just a dab of hardner into everything so it will not kick off to fast.

Saturation is the key to getting the matt to lay out. Cover the area with resin before applying the matt. The lay the matt in the already wet area. Then saturate the matt...it has to be very wet. All of your fiberglass should be so wet that it is nearly transparent and the color should be even across the work piece.

Comment

Working...
              X