What material is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What material is this?

Does anyone know what kind of material this is? I'm talking about the material in the heel/sole of this shoe. I was thinking of creating an enclosure for my PC components if I can find a block of whatever this is.

Platform shoe
    Have:Lilliput 7" touchscreen, 60 gig HD, Bluetooth, Jensen MP3 deck, 400 watt inverter, Holux 210 GPS receiver, Iguidance

Want: Slot load DVD drive, 250 Gig HD, OBD II, Wireless PCI card, etc etc

Lancerlot Pix

AIM: Sir Lancerlot28

high density neoprene maybe?
    But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
    Originally posted by Viscouse
    I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
    eegeek.net

Comment

hmmm maybe..I'll do a search on that. Would you think it is non-conductive?
      Have:Lilliput 7" touchscreen, 60 gig HD, Bluetooth, Jensen MP3 deck, 400 watt inverter, Holux 210 GPS receiver, Iguidance

Lancerlot Pix

Comment

why would you want to put a PC in your shoe?
        car computer rev 5: 8" lilliput and usual suspects

Comment

Originally posted by robiewp
          Ok you totally misunderstood that I hope.
          I am looking only for the material in that shoe. I want a block of it to carve out a case for my drives and such

Lancerlot Pix

Comment

yes. in all reality, not that many materials are conductive, especially any kind of plastic or rubber...
            But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
            Originally posted by Viscouse
            I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
            eegeek.net

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Lancerlot
              Ok you totally misunderstood that I hope.
              I am looking only for the material in that shoe. I want a block of it to carve out a case for my drives and such
              I kid, I kid!

My guess is, whatever material that platform is made out of is a little too insulating (thermally). The last time I found myself in payless looking for platforms, most of them seemed to be rubber.
              car computer rev 5: 8" lilliput and usual suspects

Comment

thats also the concern I had. If it would hold in too much heat. I was thinking of creating a tray or something to hold my drives and route my wiring, then have my MB hidden underneath with only the fan and heatsink visible.

Lancerlot Pix

Comment

The last time I found myself in payless looking for platforms, most of them seemed to be rubber.
                  Was this back in the 70's I hope or are ya pretty short?

Lancerlot Pix

Comment

Unless Sir Lancerlot is gay, but I don't think that is HIS shoe.

I also think it is high density neoprene.
                    2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                    89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                    Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                    RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                    EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Sir Lancerlot is in no way gay or in the same time-zone as gay LOL. Just a pic of a shoe I found on a site for example puposes only. Now...where the heck would I find a block of High density Neoprene? I don't think Walmart carries something like that

Lancerlot Pix

Comment

I think it might be
                        EPDM: (Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer)

Comment

I don't know about a big block to carve from, but you can get yourself a big bunch of mousepads, and peel the cloth top off (comes off pretty easily), and you've got yourself a nice piece of neoprene. I don't believe it's conductive but it's very thermally insulating. The mousepad-for-neoprene trick is useful for extreme cpu cooling with peltiers. The mousepads can handle up to a 100F delta T between the two sides of the material.

-psyrex
                          Gen 1: Pentium 3 1GHz - ATX - 2005
                          Gen 2: Pentium M 1.6GHz - ITX - 2006
                          Gen 3: Pentium M 2.0GHz - 5.25" SBC - 2007
                          Gen 4: (coming soon: Core2 Duo - 3.5" SBC - 2009)
                          ...it never ends

Comment

WTF would you want to carve a case out of a hunk for plastic or rubber. GO BUY A CASE , will probably be cheaper, look lots better and will function correctly
                            You can still have something if you have nothing

Comment

Working...
                            X