Mounting screen farther back?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting screen farther back?

I have quite a bit of room behind my dash, it had a stock double DIN radio, which was set back a little bit, and angled up.

Do you think it would be wise to mount the screen back another inch or two when I do? I don't think the glare will be too bad, hopefully, but is deeper better? Do you think it would help to significantly cut down on glare durring the days?
    :: '97 2.5 TL :: CarPC 1.0: Complete :: CarPC 2.0: 95% ::

im still in the fabrication stage myself but i found mainly its the angle of the screen more than anything for example withmy van i have the 2 windows in the front only so if i can angle the screen insuch a way that the sunlight doesnt directly bounce off the windows into my eye.
    angled up a bit it makes for a much cleaner view of the screen.

if you can still comfortably reach the screen set back id say go for it
    .______
    | '_ |__\___
    [(o)|___(o)] XB
    ._________
    | I__I I_I|_\__I
    [(o)______(o)]b VanPimpin'

LostReceptions Apps D/L Here

GPSGasoline- Rewriting

Draw- SkribblePad for Touchscreens

iGQwerty-iG3.0 Qwerty Keyboard

CarPCNetwork

Comment

If you can see and reach it recessed its great because if you're using a touchscreen you get a palmrest too.
      Fabricator

Comment

I think I will.

I think I will cut up some plexiglass (scraps from work) and attach them between the dash and the lilliput face before I start the work with the Bondo. Maybe an extra 1.5" back, which will leave it pretty well in there. I may try to tilt it towards me a small bit also, though it may be easier to not do that for it being my first time around.

Comment

:-D altimats recessed sticky is the best :-D

Comment

Originally posted by UnsanePyro
            I think I will.

I think I will cut up some plexiglass (scraps from work) and attach them between the dash and the lilliput face before I start the work with the Bondo. Maybe an extra 1.5" back, which will leave it pretty well in there. I may try to tilt it towards me a small bit also, though it may be easier to not do that for it being my first time around.
            Plexiglass is bad. Try to use some ABS sheet or some very good model aircraft birch plywood. Take the time to get the angle right the first time too. These screens are hard enough to see straight-on.

Here's another tip for recessed screens: Make the recess perfect BEFORE adding the screen. Square up the corners and sides of the screen too. When everything is perfect glue in the screen (which fits perfectly right?) and add the inside radius around the screen LAST.
            Fabricator

Comment

Thanks for the heads up on the plexiglass, I was going to grab some scraps from work today (free, w00t w00t) but if they won't work well with the bondo, then forget about it. I've got a hobby shop in town that I'm sure will have the wood for me.

As for the angle, I don't think it will be too bad. I think I am just going to extend everything back evenly 1-2" and then go from there.

Comment

Badass, I mounted the entire thing back about 1-1.5 inches, and I am going to get to keep all the buttons on the lilliput, and the IR sensor.

It is angled up. The top of the screen sits about 3" in. The bottom sits about 1.75" in.

I'm doing the bondo work right now, its tough to get the corners looking nice, but hey, I'm just excited to get it started. I think I am going to build a dedicated machine for the car also, I know I will end up wanting to.

Comment

Glare from touchscreens can be a killer. Do a search on term "Glare" and see what I mean. Recess if you can.
                  Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                  I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                  Want to:
                  -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                  -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Working...
                  X