Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to put the GPS antenna out of the car?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to put the GPS antenna out of the car?

Hello:
    I have a big problem: my gps does not receive any signal inside the car. I have to put it out of the car.

Questions:
    1.- can I use the radio antenna conected to the GPS (the GPS inside the car)?
    2.- Will the weather destroy my GPS (navilock)? If so, what kind of box to you recommned me?
    3.- If I put the GPS inside a box, will it receive signal? (wich material for the box?)

i know a guy that has satelite radio on his golf cart and he puts a little baggy on the antenna if it might rain so u could try that lol

Comment

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...hlight=antenna
      RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Originally posted by bgoodman
      We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

Comment

and also check this:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ht=mod+antenna
        RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Originally posted by bgoodman
        We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

Comment

You can dip the entire unit in a product called Plasticote and then place it on the roof. Veetid did it and it was working well for him.
          Originally posted by ghettocruzer
          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
          Want to:
          -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
          -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Dangle it out the window.....
            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

i am personally putting mine in a small rubbermaid container. wifi and gps. cut a hole for the wires, seal it all up and put a magnet on the bottom so it will stay on the roof. then i can shut the wires in the door or trunk, wires clear no problems with pinching. should be worth a try anyway.
              1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 in Evergreen Pearl Metallic, Lifted, Locked, and Armored. CarPc in custom console with molded touchscreen.
              Pictures
              Photobucket is being updated, if a picture i posted no longer works, please PM me.

Comment

I have managed to make it work inside the car.
                I have placed a 10*10 cm iron "paper" down the rear windows. The GPS above this iron "paper".

The aim is the mouse to see the sky connected to something made of iron.

Comment

i've done what bugbyte suggested, it works well....but its kinda fugly there, i'm thinking about putting it in my bumper, just gotta figure out how to run the wire there
                  PC Components:
                  Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
                  My work log

Comment

Originally posted by Peoples
                    i'm thinking about putting it in my bumper, just gotta figure out how to run the wire there
                    I was actually thinking about putting it in one of the side mirrors, and this would be especially easy if the vehicle had motorized mirror adjustors.
                    1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport, EPIA V-Series Mobo, 384MB Ram, 40GB HDD, Earthmate GPS, 802.11g WLAN, 7" SUPER LCD Touchscreen Display, 400W AMP w/ 4x100W Pioneer Speakers.
                    Progress - 90%

Comment

damn, but then i gotta run it to the front of the car, my pc is in the trunk
                      PC Components:
                      Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
                      My work log

Comment

Oh, if your pc is in the trunk then I bet inside the rear bumber is a great place for it. I don't think it would be too difficult to find a way to get the wires into the bumper, if anything drill a hole in the bottom of the trunk and run the wires underneath the car.

The only reason I was thinking in the side mirror is because it is normally on the door and there are cable tubes already heading in and out of the door, and the mirror housing is plastic/ semi waterproof and convenient. Plus if you have the electronic mirror adjustmors, there will be wires/holes already made/sealed going to the inside of the mirror. It would just be a matter of finding room for the device.
                        1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport, EPIA V-Series Mobo, 384MB Ram, 40GB HDD, Earthmate GPS, 802.11g WLAN, 7" SUPER LCD Touchscreen Display, 400W AMP w/ 4x100W Pioneer Speakers.
                        Progress - 90%

Comment

I made it work!
                          It works on the back roof, where ussualy de 6*9 loudspeaker are placed.
                          I needed to use an iron piece where the gps gets stuck with the magnet.
                          It works great. It receives better signal outside, but not much.

Comment

Working...
                          X