Remote faceplate almost done

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote faceplate almost done

I'm done with the hard part of my remote faceplate. I've got all the connections hooked up and working, only thing I've got left to do is cut both wires and install a 15 pin D connector so i can extent the wires a few more feet.

Here's the working product:

The radio is going to be mounted in the glove box along with the computer. It'll be used as the main amp and also to play cd's. The radio is playing a cd in the picture. Pressing eject on the faceplate ejects the cd from the unit, it works flawlessly!

very cool! lookin great!
    肚子笑痛了
    S60 Install

Comment

what you going to do about the slot the cds would go in?

Comment

I've been considering doing this with my HU. Did you find the soldering difficult or just tedious?
        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
        Want to:
        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte
          I've been considering doing this with my HU. Did you find the soldering difficult or just tedious?
          The soldering was not difficult at all, just double and triple check your wiring sequence or else you may end up with a smoked radio.

The slot the cd's would normally go into will stay open. I've thought about it, but it dosen't bother me the slightest. I actually think it'd be really funny when friends try to put their cd's into the slot, only to find out the cd goes in the glove box.

Although in a later revision of the system I could fill it in.

Comment

why not throw a slim slot load cdrw/dvd in a braket behind the slot? Make it functional as well?

Comment

I really like that idea! Slim Slot behind that would be awesome....
              http://www.digital-car.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Dracos
                I really like that idea! Slim Slot behind that would be awesome....

yes it would, holy cow what a great idea
                Molded Screen:
                [++++++----] 60%
                DVD & Rest of audio:
                [++++++----] 60%

2004 Accord Coupe, Satin Silver K24 5 Speed powa!

7" Lilliput Screen, non touch with lots of Bondo
                NTB DVD player or put XBOX in car

My 04 Accord Picture Thread

Comment

you might hafta mod the drive a bit to get an eject button goin tho

Comment

Originally posted by kamikaze2112
                    you might hafta mod the drive a bit to get an eject button goin tho
                    Why not just use Windoze and the frontend software to eject the CD instead?
                    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Nice **** man, I was going to relocate my headunit to the center armrest, but, it doesn't fit unless I hack up a bunch of stuff, which won't work for me.

Is it really as simple as just soldering wires between the connections of the faceplate and the main unit?

What have you used to insulate between the connections, or, nothing at all?

You live close by to me, think I could check it out some time? I'm down in Bristol, RI, but it isn't too too far.
                      :: '97 2.5 TL :: CarPC 1.0: Complete :: CarPC 2.0: 95% ::

Comment

i found an old MSDOS program called "eject.exe" that came with a really old CD-Rom driver I had all you would have to do is make a shortcut on the desktop and anytime you wanted to eject it hit the shortcut

Comment

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Oper..._21464342.html

Nevermind they show you exactly how to do it near the bottom of this page

the link for the file is down, so use this page. some more instructions too

http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/W-P/syst...cle.php/c5775/

i've included the file and the source
                          Attached Files

Comment

Was this a detachable face? Or did you just 'crack it open' and separate it?

Also, how many pins did you have to solder? In my HU, it is a non-dectahable, with an internal connector ~ 24 pins.
                            2002 Honda CR-V
                            Carputer progress: 90% [▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ -]
                            Spent so far: $1105.90

Download the NEXUS Skin for Centrafuse
                            ...or even Listen to my music

Comment

i was going to do this in my trunk from my xbox's to the speakers in there. I was thinking of buying my same modle headunit wreked and have it setup so i can still pull off the faceplate. That way it would be able to come off and be hidden. Or i can take the piece that the HU front pannel clips onto and move it to my new location.
                              96' Mercedes Benz C36 -Matte Black-
                              Status..::... {##------}25%~~ back to planning

Comment

Working...
                              X