Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wooden Box Enclosure (w/ Pics).

Hi all,
    I've finished building a new box for my P4 today. I thought of sharing my accomplishment with everyone here.
    Here are the pics:
    Natural View:

Front View:

Right-Corner View:

Top View:

Notice the PW-200-M Power Adapter adjacent to the processor. The 12V plug is located between the Generic Audio Card and the Serial COM2.
    Also notice the White Little RJ-11 (Telephone) Plug in the bottom-right corner. It'll be used for the PW-Switch, HDD-Led, & PW-Led. That way, I'd be able to extend the three to just about anywhere in the car.
    The side mounted 12V fan is awesome! It hooks right into the System_Fan connector in the MoBo.
    The only thing this box is currently missing is the top lid. It'll be done within the next 24 hours though...
    BTW, this is PCC-TYP02 (Personal Car Computer, Type 02). As soon as it's installed in my car, I'll be putting TYP01 in the classified section. (TYP01 is enclosed in a metal box).

Economic Losses:
    Time Spent: 1 hr Shopping (Home Depot) + 4~6 hrs labor.
    Money Spent: Under $20 in materials. Wood & Aluminum cutting tools are a must.
    For Sale: Carputer (CarPC) & RCA Y-Adapter
    Newsflash: Take a look at my unsold stuff above, thanks!
    Up Next: Make an OBD to Serial cable & Redo the "MMI buttons"

Pictures dont work

Richard
    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A=X+Y+Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut."
    Albert Einstein

Comment

"Geocities has exceeded its allocated data transfer..."
      Any suggestions anybody?

Comment

attach them to the post
        I'mmmmmm a n00b.... feel free to make fun

Comment

Attached, thanks markopolo311.

Comment

Pretty cool!
            2 questions:
            What standoffs did you use for the mobo?
            How'd you mount the HDD?

Not really a question, but more of a curiousity...Why only 1 case fan? Don't you want another one on the opposite end? 1 for input one for output?

I really like the telco jack idea!
            You know you want to...Worklog
            Enjoying v1.0 since it's operational. Aaaawww yeah.
            Specs: Opus120; Epia M10k; 700IDT; GlobalSat BR-355; iGuidance 2.1 & IGMod; XM; Custom case.
            Witty one-liners currently quoted by (0001) mp3car.com forum member sigs.

Comment

a P4 on a PW200??

have you got it running yet?
              But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
              Originally posted by Viscouse
              I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
              eegeek.net

Comment

It would be magical if you have the PC running with P4 and PW200.
                Words of advice: Search before asking why it doesn't work.
                2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Good luck with that hard drive vertical mount. There are people who say it will fail easier that way.
                  mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
                  Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
                  Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

From what i've heard, vertical mounting is better. think about it, if it's horizontal, if you hit a bump the heads hit the platters. if it's vertical, the heads will move parallel to the platters, which will cause data read errors as the heads will shake out of alignment, but it seems better than having them hit the platters.

Then again, I don't think anyone's done any definitive testing, so it's all speculation. Either way, your best bet by far is to just pony up and buy a laptop HD... at least as the main drive for the OS and apps. When I ran my GPS software off a 3.5" hard drive, it would severely stutter whenever the road was even slightly bumpy, it seemed like the hard drive was having lots of read errors and correcting for them, slowing it down... sure enough, when I switched to a laptop drive, everything became smooth and faster (even though the drive itself is slower, the lack of read errors makes up for it)
                    But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
                    I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
                    eegeek.net

Comment

:-P i jump curbs all the time with my truck and the hd is mounted flat nothing has happend yet :-)

Comment

Sorry for not replying sooner... I was out of this forum for a while...

What standoffs did you use for the mobo?
                        I've used *regular* standoffs you can buy at your local electornics/computer parts store. Then I drilled a little hole through the wood (not all the way down) and used a nut on the other side of the floor.

How'd you mount the HDD?
                        If you look at the bottom of any 3.5" HDD you'll notice that there are 4 screw holes. I drilled two diagonal holes in the wooden side panel and used regular screws to mount in there.
                        Since this box will sooner or later be carpeted all around, none of the screws would be visible.

Not really a question, but more of a curiousity...Why only 1 case fan? Don't you want another one on the opposite end? 1 for input one for output?
                        My father and I had an argument about the case fans. Short version: he won. Long version: the airflow produced by one system fan (and one processor fan) is perfect in action. The SysFan blows air straight on the hard disk, then it passes through the video and audio cards, gets sucked in through the processor fan while going through the grill, and eventually comes out inbetween the cards and I/O ports (it wasn't completed when I was taking pics so you can't see how that panel was done).
                        Hard Drive temperature hardly ever goes above 37C. WindowsXP wasn't compaining about the MoBo/Processor getting too hot so I guess we're in business.

I really like the telco jack idea!
                        Thanks! This goes to my father; he's a telecomm engineer. I've also used this idea to extend and hard wire my Passport radar detector into the dash.

Originally posted by evandude
                        a P4 on a PW200??

have you got it running yet?
                        Yeah, from 3 days after starting this thread and until this day I've had absolutely NO power problems. And I'm powering everything you see in this box, 1 Linksys USB WiFi, 1 Keyboard w/ Extension, 1 USB 2.0 hub (powered from the PS/2 mouse jack), 1 USB GPS, 1 USB touchscreen (unsure if it's self powered or not), and 1 Keychain drive (at times). So far so good but I can appreciate your concern, evandude.

Originally posted by MatrixPC
                        It would be magical if you have the PC running with P4 and PW200.
                        I don't mean to brag, but same as what I wrote to evandude goes to you too.

Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02
                        Good luck with that hard drive vertical mount. There are people who say it will fail easier that way.
                        So far so good, none of the songs/videos I've played so far had skipped a single beat.

Originally posted by evandude
                        From what i've heard, vertical mounting is better. think about it, if it's horizontal, if you hit a bump the heads hit the platters. if it's vertical, the heads will move parallel to the platters, which will cause data read errors as the heads will shake out of alignment, but it seems better than having them hit the platters.
                        This seems to make good sense. Thanks Man.

Comment

Finally somebody to back me up with the PW200 hehehe (I use it too)
                          RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Originally posted by bgoodman
                          We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

Comment

I must say that is one tight looking setup. Nicely done!
                            Dont tell me to shut up, I'm Rick James ******!!!

Comment

Originally posted by thanatos106
                              Finally somebody to back me up with the PW200 hehehe (I use it too)
                              LoL, after reading evandude's & MatrixPC's replies I got a bit scared I was the only one. Right back at you, bro'.

Originally posted by madmartigan
                              I must say that is one tight looking setup. Nicely done!
                              Thanks! I have even bigger plans for that box but they involve cutting 11.5 & 78.5 angles... Heck, I'll even go with 30 & 60, but it's kind of hard with a hand saw.

Comment

Working...
                              X