Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door pod - to cut or not?

Hi,

I'm no sure what the cpvering of my door is, vynil I think, but I'm wondering will the fiberglass stick to it?
    Also - Would it be an idea to leave the door card intact, ie not cut a hole through it, thus creating a sealed pod?

L
    Attached Files
    1996 Volvo 850 T5 CD - Eventually I'll start....

Stretch an old t-shirt or something similar over the build and staple this to the door. Then build your fibreglass over that.

Comment

Will the 'glass stick though? I've taken them off th door, and am going t ocut a square MDF panel and build around that, bolting it to the door

Comment

Should do.

The Tshirt will help hold it in place... it is possible that the vinyl will flex and cause the fibreglass to crack in later life.

Key the surface with some wet and dry before you start to give a good surface for the fibre glass to attach too.

Are you retrimming the doors or planning to paint the vinyl?

Comment

Paint the vynil. Or suede-cover the lot. I'm sick of the dash at present and want to change it. I eventually decided to work on the pods off the door - built onto an MDF panel, which I'll then bolt tothe card

L

Comment

First...NEVER use a tshirt. You are asking for LOADS of body work when you use a material that thin. Tshirt material, speaker cloth, and other thin materials get very wavy when you apply resin to them. Then you have to apply alot of matt and do alot of body work. Use fleece or sweat shirt material...you can get both at Wal Mart. The material is alot thicker and will hold a much better form. You will have gobs less time nito making them smooth. If you plan on covering the panels with suede or vinyl the finish has to be perfect or any flaws will shine right through the covering material.

Second fiberglass does NOT bond to plasitc. You would be better of bonding a piece of wood to the door panel and attaching the fiberglass to that.

When I build fiberglass door panels I do it on the car. Reason being is the door will hold the door panel true to form. IF fiberglass is kicked too hard it can cause the panel to warp and then it is toast. You are building a small panel so you will not likely have that problem. Keep in mind all your clearances...like where the door panel meets the dash board and sill panel.

Comment

SickVette - the Tshirt came out perfect, then I put two layers of fiberglass mat over it, and now I can just about stand on it.

*frantically scratches lower arms*

One second and I go take a picture of one pod, pre sanding and etc

Comment

Tada!

The other pod was in the oven for a little bit too long...orange fiberglass lol
                Attached Files

Comment

It is cool you got that going but sorry that is not perfect. See all the white and black spots...those are air bubbles and they are very bad. Air bubbles will cause delamination...seperating of layers. Not to mention all the waves in the glass. You are going to have some fun grinding on those panels. I am sure in the end if you put in all the time and effort they will come out nice. But it could have been with much less time and effort. What is this about an oven? You are sticking these pieces inside of an oven?

Comment

Trust me, they're smoother than the fabric underneath, and the second pod hasn't anywhere near as many of them. I heat them in the oven with the door open to speed up drying time, and there wasn't alot of effort put into these. Cut out those air bubbles and build up again?! the glass mat coat is alot smoother than the fabric was underneath, and surely with enough layers of glass it can;t be all bad?

L

Comment

Alternative - inject the air bubbles with glue?

Comment

First off....forget all about the oven. If you mix the resin to the proper ratio it is going to dry the way it is supposed to. Heating it will cause it to warp and be brittle. Your orange resin shows you that. Air bubles need to be ground out and filled. You need to take your time laying out the matt and throughly saturate the material. You can tell that is correct because it will take on the color of the material underneath and have an even color flow...white spots are air bubbles.

Just a little info. I was using grill cloth and such 12 years ago to make pods, enclosures, and such. It is not the material to use. It takes to long to build up and is too wavy. Using fleece you can cut your times in half. I built these start to finish including the base coat/clear coat in one day.

Comment

filled with body filler? OK, so noted for the next piece. hey, it's my first project lol

Comment

Focal Utopias?

Comment

No filled with fiberglass. Body filler should only be a skim coat. Grind out the air bubbles and then cut small patches of fiberglass matt. Lay the small pieces in the ground areas..when they dry feather them in. I highly suggest on your next project to use fleece....you will notice the difference right away.

Not Utopias...Power K2's. I prefer the K2's over the Utopias even though the Utopia's are an excellent speaker.

Comment

Working...
                              X