Custom double din interest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom double din interest

I have an idea that I've shared with a few mp3car.com members. Some like the idea, some don't. Anyways, here's the pitch... over the next 4-6 months, (if I get enough serious interest) I want to start production of a stealthy <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=31&k=double%20din" onmouseover="window.status='double-din'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">double-din</a> headunit.

This head unit will have a cover that can be mechanized down to hide the monitor.

With the cover down, hiding the monitor: *
    backlit character LCD
    -displaying track being played, and other id3 info.
    a volume dial - similar to ones found in recent logitech keyboards,
    play/pause, stop, next track, and previous track buttons
    Maybe: few more buttons, <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=31&k=slot%20load" onmouseover="window.status='slot load'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">slot load</a> cdrom bezel

Cover up (revealing monitor):
    Gain/XENARC TSV!!! with Mfg's warranty (maybe CCFL backlight upgrade)
    power for monitor (auto on)
    monitor input select
    volume up and volume down BUTTONS
    Maybe: CCFL backlight control dial, Slot load cdrom
    optional: hidden power button for hard off, hidden reset button

The back of the unit:
    male vga plug for monitor
    1 or 2 rca inputs
    usb plug for touchscreen, character lcd and possibly more
    usb input for usb gps
    Wiring harness attachment for speakers power, etc.**

**a built in 200w (peak) amp will make it easier for members to just run one set of stereo <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=31&k=av%20cables" onmouseover="window.status='av cables'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">av cables</a> from motherboard to head unit.

The lid hiding the monitor can be recessed to reveal the screen with a push of a button. I have a few other ideas, but it's all experimental at this point.

Please let me know:
    1. What do you think of the idea?
    2. how interested would you guys be if I were to be able to create something like this?
    3. How likely would you buy it?
    4. Would you buy it if it were in the range of $900-$1000?
    5. >$900 even though it comes with a Xenarc
    6. What else would you like to see happen?
    7. If you think i'm crazy and know this will not happen, please post and let me know, give me a free bump.

I've actually put a lot of research into this, and I'm going to need a lot of support if I don't want this to turn to ****s.
    52-hit-combo?! Is that really necessary?

bump

Comment

$900 is too much.
      iGMon - Integration between iGuidance and Road Runner
      CFX - Skin for Road Runner

Comment

I think peop-le would start getting itnerested if it was like $200 (w/o Xenarc).
        PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
        GammaControl v2.4
        SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

....$900, no thanks, about $400 sounds reasonable for the buyer and the seller (i know you have to put a lot of effort into it)

Comment

I got the same idea a while back, and I spoke to dragonBTV to see if we can make it happen.Right now he is to busy with the new PSU so don't know if he is going to make the prototype or not but one thing for sure is the price whouldn't be that high (will be more like a protective case for you LCD no a combo *no F decoys anymore*)

Thanatos.
            RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Originally posted by bgoodman
            We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

Comment

The effort is apart of it. But to have working buttons, and a built in amplifier to power speakers can possibly be a big deal for many people.

Being very honest, I think that in order to really make this happen, I'm going to need a lot of interested people before taking out the $100k loan.

Comment

the problem is with low production the costs will be very high...I can see how it may cost you close to $700 to produce each one at a low volume...... in order for this to become affordable you will need to mass produce this....the per unit costs would go way down to the point that if you could sell this at around the $600 mark.....and still make a profit.......but that may require volume purchases & volume production.....

now if you offer something that no one else does you may get a few bites even at the $900 mark.... but just a few sales aren't going to do anything to compensate you for the time & effort put into this......

bottom line....it's a pipe dream unless you have a lot of resources (mainly cash) AND are gung ho & ballsy enough to actually attempt mass production.....
                MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

updated top page.

Comment

Agree 100% with turbocad6

Once you consider the amount of time it will take to built/test and debug this I am sure you will need to raise the price.

If you are sucessful in building this and everyone likes it, you will then have to find capital to go into production and there is the huge risk that some oversea's company will copy the design and with their reduced overheads severly undercut you.

Considering most people on these forums are trying to build systems for as little as possible I think this would be a hard sell on the forums.

This project sounds intense, are you going to be the only one working on it? Reading through it, I would guess you need 3 or 4 at least.

I can tell you starting a business in this feild offers huge potential but because the market is still developing and so much is changing it is a lot harder to do business day to day then people think.

If you want to create a solid business case for this product you need to start small. Work with local shops to provide custom car computers and grow your contacts. Develop this product in the background and once you have a nice customer/install base with pending orders show off proto types. You may find customers willing to pay for a lot of the needed work if they can have some of their own features added.

Hope I didn't put a downer on your idea. Good luck Fred
                    Spent all my money on carputers now I have to work a real job.
                    http://www.858graphics.com

Comment

Oh and don't plan to get rich quick

I only do this because I hate the idea of having a real job
                      Spent all my money on carputers now I have to work a real job.
                      http://www.858graphics.com

Comment

Sounds like a great idea, but I'm not sure I'd spend that much on it for non essential extra features.
                        You said the Xenarc would have the warranty still, so I assume that means that you don't have to open it. If thats the case, maybe producing an outer box that people can put thier monitors in might be better.
                        Take your ideas and figure out some different "levels" it could be produced on. What you have in the first post seems like a top of the line setup for the Xenarc. Instead, what if you made a box that was easy to fab into the dash and only had a cover that slides up and down? I'd buy it cause thats all I want. Next step up could be making one that is electric and slides at the push of a button. Next could be one that auto slides and has an amp, or maybe volume buttons.

So, in my opinion, two key points would be: Make it so people can use monitors they already have (even if you only make them for Xenarc, at least I could upgrade my system with your product) and start a little smaller then a full featured, top of the line model.

Good luck with your product. Look forward to it being developed.
                        Spent so far: $1,755
                        Check Out My Work Log for Specs/Pics
                        CarPC Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!].....Installation[---------+].....Pastrami Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]
                        Don't mess with Texas.
                        It's not nice to pick on retards!

Comment

Originally posted by 12Vsystems
                          Oh and don't plan to get rich quick

I only do this because I hate the idea of having a real job
                          Amen to that

Comment

Working...
                          X