Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plastic and Poly Carbon Polishing.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Plastic and Poly Carbon Polishing.

    This isnt about amp cases, computer cases, or bezels, so read no furter.

    My Headlight are ambered-out and grimed out from the wear and tear and horrible aerodynamics of the jeep. I was wondering if this process I had in mind would work for getting rid of the grimetint and the scratches in my headlamps.

    Wetsand with 600grit. Dry, Wetsand with 1200 grit, Dry, Wet Sand with 2000 grit, dry. The Use a Scratch out remover. I have some Rubbing compound handy too. The scratch remover is: Kit "Scratch Out"

    Anyone have any advice? Should I hit it with a westsand 4000 grit too?
    Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
    Kenwood X790 x/ iP500 Ipod Interface
    Elemental Designs 13Kv.2 D2
    CDT ES-620 (omg yayay!!!1)
    NINe.2X, NINe.2

  • #2
    i think you can use nail polish remover? or acitone?

    Comment


    • #3
      no! acitones KILL polishes. use something like "goo-be-gone" and if that doesnt work, yeah. do that process of wet-sanding, then wax over it.

      Comment


      • #4
        Alright, I'll take some before and after pics if anyone cares to see the results. I've been reading up, and this seems to be promising to restore headlamps without buying new ones.

        If all else fails I can always buy new ones off ebay.

        And clear nail polish remover is said to be used for stopping windowshield cracks. I cant tell you how many ricers I've seen with a window full of nail polish.
        Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
        Kenwood X790 x/ iP500 Ipod Interface
        Elemental Designs 13Kv.2 D2
        CDT ES-620 (omg yayay!!!1)
        NINe.2X, NINe.2

        Comment


        • #5
          If you sand the lens, you will ruin the coating on it. The Polycarbonate is not UV stable. The coating is turning yellow because it is shot, once the UV absorber begins to breakdown you get yellow. The layers of coating sluff off the outside as the UV absorber breaks down and then you have exposed PC, which weathers much worse than the coating. Microcracking and all out hazing will then occur on the lenses. There is nothing you can to a headlamp that will last very long with this issue, except replace it.
          2002 Twin Turbo ZO6
          2005 Hummer H2

          Comment


          • #6
            After wetsanding, I'd use a fine polish like Menzerna Final Polish 2

            Originally posted by BLOWNZO6_pc
            If you sand the lens, you will ruin the coating on it. The Polycarbonate is not UV stable. The coating is turning yellow because it is shot, once the UV absorber begins to breakdown you get yellow. The layers of coating sluff off the outside as the UV absorber breaks down and then you have exposed PC, which weathers much worse than the coating. Microcracking and all out hazing will then occur on the lenses. There is nothing you can to a headlamp that will last very long with this issue, except replace it.
            What about clear coat?
            GE Cache Builder | [email protected] |Coolstuff :autospeed.com | bit-tech.net | Nitemax Ultra Pinouts

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by BLOWNZO6_pc
              If you sand the lens, you will ruin the coating on it. The Polycarbonate is not UV stable. The coating is turning yellow because it is shot, once the UV absorber begins to breakdown you get yellow. The layers of coating sluff off the outside as the UV absorber breaks down and then you have exposed PC, which weathers much worse than the coating. Microcracking and all out hazing will then occur on the lenses. There is nothing you can to a headlamp that will last very long with this issue, except replace it.
              Jees, more than I ever needed to know about headlights.... But real nice info.
              Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
              Via EPIA MII
              512MB RAM
              OEM GPS (embedded)
              nLite WinXP pro on
              1GB Extreme III CF card
              Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
              Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

              Comment


              • #8
                Yep, I tried wetsanding over the past two days...

                Was a dismal failure. I started to wet with 600, did it for about 30 min to get all the amber and grim out. Then did 1200, then 2000 wet, and then I tried the scratch remover, didnt work. So I went up to 4000 grit scratches, wetsanded again with 4000, and still no luck, now it looks like a ricer and I have to buy new headlamps .

                Oh well, you live and learn, just wish I could have not had to spend 100 bucks on new housing units.
                Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
                Kenwood X790 x/ iP500 Ipod Interface
                Elemental Designs 13Kv.2 D2
                CDT ES-620 (omg yayay!!!1)
                NINe.2X, NINe.2

                Comment


                • #9
                  Are you sanding by hand?? If so then that is the problem. I am a technician and I fix these lights all the time with a polishing kit. I will see if I can find a link. It is the same process you are doing but not wet and much faster motion of the paper. I use a 3 inch foam padded DA sander. 1000 grit to remove grime and 1500 for polishing and plastic polish for final finish.
                  The Car 2005 Scion xB

                  The Truck 2004 GMC Canyon

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by IntellaWorks
                    Jees, more than I ever needed to know about headlights.... But real nice info.
                    LOL.. I do sales for a plastic injection molding company.. we use better than 2 million pounds of Polycarbonate a year and sell about $1.5 million+ per month in coated parts...

                    Pretty much once the lenses are coated there is nothing you can do to them. People keep stating they polish and fix them, etc. If you are able to polish them up, you are removing the coating, they are dead after the coating is gone.

                    Tail lights are another animal.. they are typically not coated and made with PMMA, which is very polishable, etc.

                    Good luck.
                    2002 Twin Turbo ZO6
                    2005 Hummer H2

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Don't bother sanding it down. It will never be like new. I tried it, it looked ok for like a week, then it became yellow again.
                      I'm waiting for some senior to back out of their garage without looking so I could replace my frontend
                      PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                      GammaControl v2.4
                      SKINbedder v3

                      1995 Lexus SC300

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by BLOWNZO6_pc
                        LOL.. I do sales for a plastic injection molding company.. we use better than 2 million pounds of Polycarbonate a year and sell about $1.5 million+ per month in coated parts...

                        Pretty much once the lenses are coated there is nothing you can do to them. People keep stating they polish and fix them, etc. If you are able to polish them up, you are removing the coating, they are dead after the coating is gone.

                        Tail lights are another animal.. they are typically not coated and made with PMMA, which is very polishable, etc.

                        Good luck.
                        What about a UV stable clearcoat? Like UV-Pol or something.
                        GE Cache Builder | [email protected] |Coolstuff :autospeed.com | bit-tech.net | Nitemax Ultra Pinouts

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X