Any safe way to strip paint off plastic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any safe way to strip paint off plastic

Is there any safe way to strip paint off plastic, I am talking about the license plate number holder on the rare of the car. I am using "Aircraft" but this is used only for metal.
    I am looking for something I can use on plastic that would not harm it and yet removes every thing paint+primer. Sanding down would not do it - well, may be if I spend the rest of the week sanding!

No, I am not painting the car, my sister wants me to cover her plate holder with some exotic paint, this paint requires special prep.

An old hobby store trick....Dot 3 brake fluid. Also lighter fluid supposedly works, never tried that one. I can say the brake fluid one works awesome. Just paint it on or soak it a few minutes, and wipe away. Test first if possible, but it works great on model car parts, and they are surely a more delicate plastic(?)

will need to do some good cleaning afterwards though, so the new paint will stick.
    2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

auto paint supply store.....bumper stripper......in spray can's......it's safe on plastics....DON'T use aircraft stripper, it WILL destroy the plastic...
      MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

i know bginamercedes will vouch for the brake cleaner, LOL, lets just say he diddnt intend for it to strip the paint.
          96' Mercedes Benz C36 -Matte Black-
          Status..::... {##------}25%~~ back to planning

Comment

ive used a product called GOO-Gone. I just put some on a rag and started rubbing on the painted plastic. you will see it will start coming off slowly...

Comment

brake cleaner i sware it works....i did not intend to get it on the paint but i did and man it works like a dream. you can clean the whole bumper in no time at all

Comment

does it work for spray paint?
                `
                ,,`,,
                ,,`,,
                ``,,`,,` `
                ,,`,,
                ,,`,,
                `
                `

Comment

I got a "sand blaster" for hobby use from a company called "badger". Hooks up to a regular air compressor and I use baking soda as the media...works great for stripping paint, varnish, clear coat, etc and won't distort plastic...i use it to strip paint off of R/C cars and to clean parts. Plus you don't have to deal with chemical strippers.

Comment

wow, i never thought about using baking soda as a medium. thats awesome. ive always used a light sand

thanks.
                    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 in Evergreen Pearl Metallic, Lifted, Locked, and Armored. CarPc in custom console with molded touchscreen.
                    Pictures
                    Photobucket is being updated, if a picture i posted no longer works, please PM me.

Comment

goo gone wouldnt take off paint very well. Its designed not to (intended for removing stickers from cars, ect...)

Comment

I havent been on here for a few days...but what I read above scares me.

DO NOT NOT NOT use brake CLEANER on plastics (unless you 100% know its plastic safe! most are NOT) I said brake FLUID. Brake cleaner dries out the plastic usually making it brittle, and then it can shatter under any kind of flex. Brake fluid is an oil, and i have yet to see it harm a piece of plastic.
                        2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

the safest & most effective way is to either sand it dry & then coat with a plastic (bumper) adheision promoter or use a bumper stripper, which is a paint remover specifically designed to strip paint off plastic, then coat with an adheisive promoter....

I have never tried brake fluid.... I would worry about contaminating the plastic, as when your done stripping the next step is adheasion.... if youv'e used it with no problem then maybe it's o.k.,I don't know what the best solvent is to remove the brake fluid after... the safest thing to do is clean the plastic well with a water soluable( soap & water) and then an oil solvent (prep-sol/ prep kleen ppg dx 330.... there are many...) but there are correct chemicals for the job, there as close as your nearest professional body shop supply store....there all over the country everywhere

this is if your looking to do it right....
                          MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

LOL...I agree, try to use the right stuff if possible. After brake fluid you must scrub well. Sanding or bumper stripper would be best. Just be careful with the brake cleaner!
                            2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

My experience is WD40. It will not harm plastic and you can wash it after. Just always test in a location you can't see when using any products...

Comment

Working...
                              X