What filler to use?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What filler to use?

I'm trying to get my screen mounted indash. I've resized the screen's housing so it fits a double din mount:

The front of the screen is glued to the doubledin and is very solid, the back of the screen also still fits (after resizing)

I'm kinda stuck on what filler I should use to fill the gaps between the screen and the doubledin. I'd like to fill the gaps, sand it down and spray the whole unit in the color of my dash.

Can you recommend me a product (filler) that is available in The Netherlands, I hear Bondo is good, but it's unavailable where I live... :/

I used this and it gave me good results (thanks altimat for recommend me this product ):

http://stage.sherwin-automotive.com/...t=29778&cat=37

Thanatos.
    RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Originally posted by bgoodman
    We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

Comment

I reccomend this stuff x100. I use this almost daily in body shop. This stuff is very easy to apply, and sand. Regular bondo is extremly heavy and tedious, this stuff is a godsend. I reccomend this product hugely.
      Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
      Kenwood X790 x/ iP500 Ipod Interface
      Elemental Designs 13Kv.2 D2
      CDT ES-620 (omg yayay!!!1)
      NINe.2X, NINe.2

Comment

ive heard good things about melted plastic using something like acetone... the result is easy to sand... search for the thread on here about solvents and adhesives... good luck..

Comment

Rage Gold body filler maybe?

Comment

I've ended up using "Alabastine Polyester Plamuur" :

Works like a charm, just need to fill the small holes with some filling primer.

Comment

The result of a weekend sanding, filling and spraying primer:

*nb screen is attached with 2 screws only, thats why it hangs a bit (pic 1&3)

Comment

That's looking really good mate.
                2Fast's Tumbleweed - Spag bol's Tumbleweed - 2Fast's site

Comment

very nice, my turn is comming up soon hopefully I can produce a nice look

Comment

Thanks for the Alabastine tip en succes!

Comment

First layer of paint:

Comment

What product did you end up using for filler? How did you keep the filler from covered the holes for the buttons? Thanks

Comment

[OFF TOPIC] Sorry for thread hijack, but somehow related

The developer(s)/site admin(s) of this site http://stage.sherwin-automotive.com...ct=29778&cat=37 (link given by thanatos106 in post #2) should give 2 weeks vacation at the beach with no paid.
                          They didn't turn off the ColdFusion debug dump. It shows every single querries run to retrieve the page.
                          [/OFF TOPIC]

Now that fab job look nice. Which product did you use?
                          2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                          89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                          Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                          RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                          EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Hah?

Am I in any danger here??

Thanatos.

Edit:

Very nice job with the dash trim.
                            RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Originally posted by bgoodman
                            We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

Comment

Originally posted by 03SVTLightning
                              What product did you end up using for filler? How did you keep the filler from covered the holes for the buttons? Thanks
                              I've smoothed the small grooves between the buttons and around the screen and I was carefull not to put filler in the holes. I filed away the bits of filler that got in the holes once the filler dried. I also removed the led above the volume +- button. I forgot to take the transparant plastic out before I started sanding, so it looked like ****. I just put filler over it, sanded and sprayed it. Now you can't tell there was a button there, unless you knew it was there before.

Originally posted by MatrixPC
                              Now that fab job look nice. Which product did you use?
                              Thanks!

As said a couple of posts above:

I've ended up using "Alabastine Polyester Plamuur" :

Comment

Working...
                              X