2005 Grand Cherokee...Need help with fabrication

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 Grand Cherokee...Need help with fabrication

I just bought a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. The problem is there really isn't enough room for a Xenarc 700ts Touchscreen and a HU. So I have to do a lot more fabrication. The lay our of my car's OEM radio bezel gives me 8 1/4" x 5" to play with. And the Xenarc's Dimensions (in): 7.75W x 4.75H x 1.38D. So i need to make room for the HU.

So my question is, since im using model airplane wood(balsa or ply) to make the frame for the screen and make room for the hu, do i need to make the dimensions of the frame smaller for the thickness of the material i use to make radio bezel? and the dimensions listed for the lcd are those of the case? i have a feeling they are.

I want to use the stuff that Altimat used:
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=34276

Does that make any sense?
    Attached Files
    Car Progess Report:
    Planning: 100%
    Purchasing and Fabrication: 10%
    ---------------------------------
    Overall: 10%

my post will either be a gift from the gods or something you've already come accross and discounted:

I too have just purchased a 2005 jeep grand cherokee laredo. the factory stereo is horrible. i have purchased all of the components to build my car pc save for the screen.

I stumbled upon this site and found that they offered a mopar dash bezel that answered all my prayers. It arrived last week. Days upon days of custom installation work could not have netted me a more perfect solution. Seeing the piece from the reverse side, you'll quickly see how easy it will be to create an oem look. On top of all that, it makes the whole cherokee dash look more pronounced and stylish.

I've got to run at the moment, but understand that i will be bugging you with questions/ideas from now until the point when you quit the forum as i believe you are the only other here with this car model. stay tuned!
    Attached Files

Comment

I have also came across the nav bezel. and there really is no were to mount the 7in touch screen and an alpine HU. But mopar does offer a housing and bezel for the navigation system that sits on top of the radio bezel. so you can have the stock radio, and the navigation housing as well. but its a horrible blind spot. Ill find a picture of it and post it, asap

-------------------------------
      Nevermind. Quit to the draw. that website had a picture of it.
      Car Progess Report:

Comment

You mean this?

Comment

just throwing this out there, have you considered putting the head unit down low in the pocket, cig lighter area in front of the shifter?...... have you considered not using a head unit at all?
          MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Originally posted by turbocad6
            just throwing this out there, have you considered putting the head unit down low in the pocket, cig lighter area in front of the shifter?...... have you considered not using a head unit at all?
            when i pulled the dash apart and the center console, there is not enough room to put the head unit where the pocket and the 12v cig. plug are. tho there is a nother much bigger pocket to the left of the driver in the dash, but i would have to mod the plastic ac "ducts". and i want to use a head unit. ive considered just using my pc with a tv/radio tunner card, but its just not as great.

@Distorted_Axis Yes thats what i was talking about.....it would have to be modded so that you could fit something in there, because the actually lcd screen for the gps is one 3 1/2 by 1 1/3 inches
            Car Progess Report:

Comment

what is in the way in the lower pocket cig lighter area? brackets can be modified & cuts can be made without butchery..... I would even consider tring to remote mount the face down there with the head unit real close by.... a short extention should be doable even with modern low voltage displays if your only going 5-7"...

that top pod doesn't look like it belongs there.... iduno 'bout that one....

Comment

what about those information center buttons right above the climate control..... if those were moved down to the pocket/lighter area they would't need much depth & then you should fit a din unit & screen above the climate control.....

Comment

Originally posted by turbocad6
                  what is in the way in the lower pocket cig lighter area? brackets can be modified & cuts can be made without butchery..... I would even consider tring to remote mount the face down there with the head unit real close by.... a short extention should be doable even with modern low voltage displays if your only going 5-7"...

that top pod doesn't look like it belongs there.... iduno 'bout that one....
                  Yeah I hate that top part.

and as for whats behind that little cuby, all i see is the plastic ac ducts that run to the back of the console for the back seat. and it looks like nothing but metal beyond that.
                  Car Progess Report:

Comment

ill be at my girls wednesday with her digital camera, ill take apart the dash and take picture for you guys to see. but from what i saw there wasnt anyroom or anyway to move the stuff without voiding the warrenty.
                    Car Progess Report:

Comment

Originally posted by Sillydipstixs18

So my question is, since im using model airplane wood(balsa or ply) to make the frame for the screen and make room for the hu, do i need to make the dimensions of the frame smaller for the thickness of the material i use to make radio bezel? and the dimensions listed for the lcd are those of the case? i have a feeling they are.

I want to use the stuff that Altimat used:
                      http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=34276

Does that make any sense?
                      ???????

@Derbis - What is the dimension on the opening of that bezel? (for the nav unit)
                      Car Progess Report:

Comment

dimensions with xenarc 700 inset
                        Attached Files

Comment

Put the HU faceplate in the visor and the box in your glove compartment or under the dash. I dont see where the HU is needed besides Radio, and maybe CD's, but other than that you computer should really do the rest.
                          Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
                          Kenwood X790 x/ iP500 Ipod Interface
                          Elemental Designs 13Kv.2 D2
                          CDT ES-620 (omg yayay!!!1)
                          NINe.2X, NINe.2

Comment

If you must keep a radio, buy one with a detachable faceplate. Remote mount the faceplate somewhere on the dash ( i.e. -- little cubby whole by cigarette lighter), then keep the actual HU under the seat. I donít know if a radio is *really* needed when you can have thousands upon thousand of MP3sÖ

See cubby-holeÖ

Oh, look.... Tons of room back there.

Wow, you think you donít have any room? Try finding room in WJ Grand Cherokee. I wish I had HALF the room youíve got there.

BTW, in case you didnít know www.WKJeeps.com (Excellent recourse for your jeep)

Comment

Originally posted by Distorted_Axis
                              ...Remote mount the faceplate somewhere on the dash ( i.e. -- little cubby whole by cigarette lighter), then keep the actual HU under the seat...
                              Damnit. I think my master plan just changed.

...maybe not. HU-less is cleaner.

...maybe...

Comment

Working...
                              X