What to do with the ashtray

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with the ashtray

What to do with the ash tray, or in my case, the storage area above it, usually used to keep a spare pack of cigs in etc...

Well I decided to put a usb2 hub and a multi card reader in it.

Sorry the pictures crap, the camera hates being indoors.
    Attached Files
    Lez, more widely known as flez1966

I gutted the hub and card reader to save space, changed the leds on the card reader, and placed a led at the back to shine forwards

I then put my mini hub on top of the box to connect to the hub and the card reader, the other output from it goes to my dvdrom
    Attached Files

Comment

I had some space at one end so made a little door from some scrap plastic and used a sewing needle to make a hinge. I also fitted a switch (from an old AT psu) so the door 'clicks' open, also wired the switch to a white led so I can see if any coins etc are at the back, works just like opening the door of the fridge!
      Attached Files

Comment

Then I had to make a front, so lets make some plastic wood!

scan some wood / download a picture etc, overlay the wood over a scan of the object about 20% transparancy, in this case the ashtray/hub assembly, that way you can see what your doing, then add text and a cutting guide for any slots / plugs, print it (100% transparency 100% scale), laminate it, use the a sharp craft knife to cut the holes, stick it over the controls/ports.
        Attached Files

Comment

To stop light leakage from behind from the leds, 'block it out' with a marker or try to print a black mask (tricky) but you can see on the 2nd picture where I have blacked it out from where I havent.
          Attached Files

Comment

Now all I need to do is cut it for the little door (for coins not ciggys!) and trim it to size to fit back in the car, but its nearly midnight so that can wait.

And I thought I was going to just watch TV tonight, carPC'ing never stops!

Comment

Looks really cool. I was thinking about doing the same thing with my ashtray, but never got around to it. I like the overlay. Instead of the black marker, maybe you could use some very thick paper. Since you already have the template for the overlay, it shouldn't be anything to print a backing to it with the exact pattern.
              2000 Subaru OBS

Dell P3 @ 900 Mhz
              7" Lilliput TS w/DigitalWW in-dash mount
              80GB External HD

I am Zero Bitrate....

Comment

hey that looks pritty ****in badass good job :-)

Comment

This is great - now I know how to make stencils for my illuminated button project.
                  My install log
                  My "selling entire system" thread

Comment

Originally posted by Hark
                    This is great - now I know how to make stencils for my illuminated button project.
                    Actually I dont think I'm that good at this type of work, feel much more confident with a soldering iron or a spanner, but I like that the idea has given you a new direction on the buttons.

Comment

Originally posted by kiltjim
                      I like the overlay. Instead of the black marker, maybe you could use some very thick paper.
                      It was quick and easy, if I need 100% light block next time etc I will print twice, on 2nd sheet stick tin(aluminum) foil then cut out and sandwich with top sheet.

You can do 1 sheet with text on wood, one with text on black and overlay BUT you need 100% alignment or the text will have shadows and then the light has to go through 2 sheets of paper.

I found kodak photo allowed more light then plain copier paper, which I thought would be the other way around.

Just doing a test run on the dvd......
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by lez
                        And I thought I was going to just watch TV tonight, carPC'ing never stops!
                        Amen to this statement lez....very nice work
                        http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/856246

Please visit my new site http://www.Gigabitcustoms.com

My worklog http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52720

Comment

i read it the first time and thought that I understood it..then I tried thinking about actually doing it, and now i dont get it...does this ever happen to anyone. Someone take me step by step.

nice work.
                          Subject open, Subject closed.

Comment

which bit you need help with m8?

Comment

I really didnt follow the whole scanning and printing phase. So basically, its a laminated printed paper that is etched out so light shines through, right?
                              Subject open, Subject closed.

Comment

Working...
                              X