X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pioneer Headunit with Remote Screen??

Hi Guys,

Just need to pick someones brains...

I have a DEH P6400R Headunit and I have tried to make it so my display sits up on the sun visor....

Now, I have bought the right 60/40 solder and Flux etc etc, soldering iron and so on...

I have the 12 core cable i need.

So i set about soldering the unit and faceplate...

Did it and looks neat and tidy (Apart from a minor wobble with the solder in the middle lol...)

Went out to car, and fitted it.. Stereo turns on with no display., no controls with the remote either

took it all apart, changed the solder over and smartened it up...

Still nothing.

Now am i correct in thinking it will be headunit solders rather than the display solders?

Otherwise the volume and channel changers would work right?

I'm lost so any help would be great...

Cheers
    Drew
    Car is Dead, Hand is burnt - Let that be a lesson to me! never open the bonnet when you smell burning.

http://www.digital-car.co.uk

hmmmm, 4 Hours later, I have now un-soldered the wires... Removed all the solder so it is almost like it was before i started....

Only thing is, the display still isnt working... Could i have blown something, i hardly touched the pins as i tinned everything first

I didnt have a heatsink thing on it though, didnt think i would need one?

Any ideas (or someone selling a cheap Pioneer headunit in UK / Or someone who is in the uk and excellent at soldering, So i can post my headunit to you??)

Thanks Again

Drew
    Car is Dead, Hand is burnt - Let that be a lesson to me! never open the bonnet when you smell burning.

Comment

Is it possible that there is a botton somewhere on the unit, either the little arms that hold it when it gets folded down to put cds in, that gets pushed when the face in foldered up. If there is then that would be why the faceplate doesn't turn on and the remote doesn't work since the IR receiver would be turned on with the faceplate. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by brandonn
        Is it possible that there is a botton somewhere on the unit, either the little arms that hold it when it gets folded down to put cds in, that gets pushed when the face in foldered up. If there is then that would be why the faceplate doesn't turn on and the remote doesn't work since the IR receiver would be turned on with the faceplate. Just a thought.
        Hi,

Yeah thank you for this suggestion but I have made sure the button is pressed in, and now the soldering is back to "as factory" I clip the screen in as normal and the unit plays, but no screen adn no controls....

The inside lights come on, (Eject button) so i know the little button is pressed in.

Absolute nightmare...
        Must be a moral here somewhere

Comment

you coulve easily got the connections to hot and unsoldered the backside of some connection but you said you didnt heat it up to much but depending on how large it was it may have been enough.
          Cars
          1994 Mustang GT Punch 240.4 2 12" Kicker Comp SOLD :(

2006 Suzuki Aerio Sx Kicker KX 650.4 RE 10

2003 Eddie Bauer Expedition DVD - Navigation Package Traded in for 2008 XL-7 Limited

Car PC
          Planning

Comment

hey dudeee ive got the total opposite of ur problem lol my display works but my eject buttons and stuff dont work :-( n e ideas guys?

Comment

hmmm, have you completely removed the fascia off the head unit or have you had to re-solder back on the head unit?

Comment

Ok, i have just taken my fascia off again, and removed all the solder on the pins... IT WORKS... so mental note, always remove all the extra solder!!!

Comment

Now, how do people actually mount the fascias in the sun visor? use the surround and mastik it in? or just glue it directly to the visor?

Any Ideas?

Comment

I've seen everything from hotglue(not recomended for anywhere with summer) to rubber bands to fabricating a new visor. The thing that I liked the best was attaching clips to the faceplate (epoxy/screws) and by putting two or so slits into the outside and board/cardboard/plastic that is in the visor and more screws or epoxy.

If you epoxy, open your windows before you drive or don't let it cure in the car. Fumes can mess you up quite a bit.
                    My 95' Saturn Project

Comment

velcrow

Comment

I did a remote face in my firebird years ago. The first i had setup was useing fiberglass and blondo for a pod type that was above the rear view mirror.
                        The second time I flush mounted it in the visor by cutting the foam and cardboard/wood backing and making a frame that it fit in and bondo for a super tight fit and so it wasn't viewable unless the visor was pulled down. Made for awesome stealth.

But on the communication side some of the headunits can take only so long of leads. My alpines volume nobe used pulses instyead of resistance so i had to move it closer to the actualy unit in the console or i had no volume control.

Comment

Thats the kind of look im trying for, need stealth really... i have an ir remote so hopefully it wouldnt matter about the wires being long etc... except the ir receiver is on the fascia.. maybe i could relocate that nearer my steering wheel... Maybe not lol... just move the fascia on the sunvisor and bolt my H/U under my seat.. Dont want to make holes in the floor so how did you mount the H/U?

Comment

My headunit was just superglued/wedged into a empty space behind the dash. I couldn't acces the cd drive but i had two 12disk changers on the system so didn't really matter to much. On mine I put a spare faceplate on to the deck to set up all my eq's and stuff then used the remote to control everything else sense the volume dial didn't work to well. I had a ir eye mounted on the bottom of the sunvisor so I never had to fold it down to control it.

Comment

MunkyNPunky,

Just to confirm, You remote mounted the Pioneer DEH P6400R faceplate and it worked, correct? I'm going to order one off of ebay since this is a unit known to work. Do you have the Aux-in adapter with yours?
                              8" Lilli TS
                              MB896F Mini-ITX MB
                              2GHZ Dothan 533MHz FSB CPU
                              1GB SDRAM DDR2 533
                              Seagate 300GB SATA150 HD
                              ENGENIUS WiFi MINI-PCI CARD 802.11A B 400MW OUT
                              Pioneer Slot Load SLIM DVDRW
                              Bluetooth V2 USB 2 Dongle
                              3COM BKP Cam

Comment

Working...
                              X