How much should I charge for this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much should I charge for this?

Want to thank you guys, learned everything about what to do from this site, didn't have the money to do a carputer yet but will someday. I made this for my truck and am thinking about making and selling them to raise money for my carputer project.

What do you think would be a reasonable price to charge for this, figured you guys would understand how much time is involved in making somthing like this. Cost in parts, epoxy, etc I estimate to be about $100.

This is what is looks like stock

This is what I made, would do them custom order for people:

I figure taking my time I have about 20hrs making this.

Thanks

200+400 plus materials if you think your time is worth anything. I wouldnt work for less than 10 an hour.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by mbuchman
      200+400 plus materials if you think your time is worth anything. I wouldnt work for less than 10 an hour.

Matt

Thanks, thats about what I was thinking, $400-$500 with all the curves of the gauges its a pain to get a nice finish.

Just new to this kind of thing and didn't know what somthing like this usually goes for.

Figure if I can sell 3-4 of them at $500 each I can get my carputer in my new truck.

Comment

$10 an hour is a joke for fabrication like this.... but you spent way to much time on this to make a good profit.... I'd say $25-$30 an hour would be cheap... but you can't take 20 hours on something like this........ I'd estimate it myself as 12 hours labor & that's streaching it alot for a pro, I think a pro could do this in 6 hours really, but that would be closer to $60 an hour... so it pretty much balances out.... so actually matt's estimate is around right.... $350 labor.... $125 materials with 25% markup.....

should be around $475 total.. professionally done could be up to $600 or so...

. but that will be to the owners specs.... inotherwords someone would have to specifically want that setup..... not to knock it at all, your work is beutiful, but I doubt many would want to do theres just the way youv'e done yours, & if you offered exact copys of what you created I doubt there be many takers... if any......

you'd have to be able to build your customers vision of what THEY wanted..... this would have a much more universal appeal if it was a screen layout I'd think....
        MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Nice work. If I were you, I'd make a mold of it and try cutting down the time so you can sell it cheaper and make more profit.

I recently started fooling around with vacuum forming abs for something along this lines and my initial tests come out quite well. I just need to refine the "table" design.

How much is the piece itself new? Maybe you could fiberglass it and mount it to an oem one. That way even if it wasn't cheaper, you would at least be spending less time making them.
          GE Cache Builder | [email protected] |Coolstuff :autospeed.com | bit-tech.net | Nitemax Ultra Pinouts

Comment

Yeah, I need to read up on the vacumm molding, make the mold and epoxy it to the dash kit which is about $40. Then the time to make the two look like one should only take an hour or too. If I could make them that way with a universal way for someone to mount their own radio and charge $250-$300 for it still.

Just thinking, I already have about 5 people who are interested, but when I tell them $450 they suffer sticker shock. For someone who has never attempted this they don't realise the process involved. I agree I am slow but this was with a learning curve and first time working with fiber bondo so I probably had to do about 2x the amount of sanding than a pro with experiance.

This was my first time ever fabbing anything, learned everything from this site and a few others.

Comment

I'd make a mold and sell each for $175

Comment

Originally posted by stlfabman
                Yeah, I need to read up on the vacumm molding, make the mold and epoxy it to the dash kit which is about $40. Then the time to make the two look like one should only take an hour or too. If I could make them that way with a universal way for someone to mount their own radio and charge $250-$300 for it still.

Just thinking, I already have about 5 people who are interested, but when I tell them $450 they suffer sticker shock. For someone who has never attempted this they don't realise the process involved. I agree I am slow but this was with a learning curve and first time working with fiber bondo so I probably had to do about 2x the amount of sanding than a pro with experiance.

This was my first time ever fabbing anything, learned everything from this site and a few others.
                It's damn easy. I made a table out of an old wood shelf, an old metal shelf (had a mesh top, this was to let the air in), a plastic pvc tailpipe and a shopvac. Use my oven (for now for the heat). The only small problem I had was making a decent frame to hold the plastic. Not hard, but just haven't chased down the parts. Most diy sites will recommend a window screen kit for the frame. A good idea, but all the ones I found had plastic edges (so they melt). Just a matter of me hitting home depot some day when I'm not that busy and getting some wood trim.

Thin abs is cheap. Something like 3 or 4 bucks for 24 x 12
                GE Cache Builder | [email protected] |Coolstuff :autospeed.com | bit-tech.net | Nitemax Ultra Pinouts

Comment

Working...
                X