Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Pre-Fabbed Xenarc Solution?

Hey all,

I was looking into getting a '00 Corvette and what you all talk about on this forum is exactly what I would like to do first to my ride.

I know I'm probably going to be forever hated for asking this but...

I'm a student and I have like 0 time, so I was wondering if there are any pre-fabbed dashes to fit a Xenarc 7" TSV that I could just pop in. I understand this goes against the entire do-it-yourself idea and pride but I really have no time/tools.

Anyway, if anyone could let me know, that would be awesome. As for the numerous other people who have done-it-themselves, all I can say is ...WOW. Great jobs and I am forever envious.

The only pre-fabbed option is a guy that made a faceplate to fit in the double-DIN opening on GM vehicles, namely trucks & SUVs. I *believe* it's for a Xenarc screen, but I'm not 100% on that.
    Also, I don't know if that will work on your 'Vette or not. It's worth a look.

If that doesn't work, then I suggest finding a used dash piece and getting out the fiberglass and/or bondo.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by Stryker707
      Hey all,

I was looking into getting a '00 Corvette and what you all talk about on this forum is exactly what I would like to do first to my ride.

I know I'm probably going to be forever hated for asking this but...

I'm a student and I have like 0 time, so I was wondering if there are any pre-fabbed dashes to fit a Xenarc 7" TSV that I could just pop in. I understand this goes against the entire do-it-yourself idea and pride but I really have no time/tools.

Anyway, if anyone could let me know, that would be awesome. As for the numerous other people who have done-it-themselves, all I can say is ...WOW. Great jobs and I am forever envious.
      Simple answer, No. Even simpler answer, and .

So far, I know of only a handfull of prefabbed dash kits, for the WRX, the Infiniti G35, and the BMWs. Otherwise, it is a "custom" piece.

You can take it to a stereo shop, they should be able to do it for you.

Michael
      ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

http://maptechenterprises.netfirms.com/ or Humount.com. Designed for the Xenarc and should fit all GM vehicles with a double din mount.
        2007 Tahoe
        Opus with iBase 896 and Pentium M 735 Transflective Xenarc Alpine DVA-9861, PXA-H900, Sinfoni 45X2 (2) 90x2, Genesis Dual Mono, JL 1000/1 (2), Focal Be tweeters, ScanSpeak Revelator Mids, Dynaudio MW170, Dayton 12" Ref.

My Install

Comment

Originally posted by Naamanf
          http://maptechenterprises.netfirms.com/ or Humount.com. Designed for the Xenarc and should fit all GM vehicles with a double din mount.

I stand corrected, though they don't list the corvette in the list of cars the unit will fit. Perhaps it will fit anyway.

Michael
          ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Thanks for the help

Thanks for the link NaamanF. I had tried searching earlier but came up with nothing. Those pre-made ones are okay but I have definitely seen some excellent mounts made by some of the people on this site -- especially the job by Scott on his C5. I guess nothing worthwhile comes easy. I think I better bust out the fiberglass as soon as my exams are done. Thanks again for the help.

Comment

I'm confused... a student looking to buy a corvette? Man, I need to go back to school :P

For my project, I'm simply removing the stock radio bezel, relocating the Ac controls, and mounting in the headrest bezel for the Xenarc. It has probably taken me all of 3hrs and I am ready to apply the epoxy. I figure I probably need another 6-7hrs to prep, sand, paint, repeat. Not too bad if you want to do it yourself
              1997 Mustang GTS "Jenna"

VIA SP13000, 7" Xenarc TSV, 200GB, 'modified' M2-ATX, 1GB DDR400/3200, BU-353. RoadRunner + LSXVoid

Comment

Originally posted by Miles
                I'm confused... a student looking to buy a corvette? Man, I need to go back to school :P

For my project, I'm simply removing the stock radio bezel, relocating the Ac controls, and mounting in the headrest bezel for the Xenarc. It has probably taken me all of 3hrs and I am ready to apply the epoxy. I figure I probably need another 6-7hrs to prep, sand, paint, repeat. Not too bad if you want to do it yourself

Nothing like driving your new corvette into school and parking it. But seriously, isn't there more satisfaction in showing your school yard buddies your custom screen and saying "Yeah, I MADE IT...not some other fabricator"?? I dunno, anyone can BUY a car these days. It's learning how to build them to your *custom* specs.. that's the coolest part. IMO

p.s. - I should head back to school too!! lol
                (Picture) - me doing a wheelie on my ty 175

Comment

You should also consider a custom fabbed install by someone else. Especially if you can find a forum member here who happens to live nearby... or if you bought a spare dash piece (if applicable to the particular car) you might even be able to ship it to someone and have it done remotely. It would probably look even better than a prefabbed bezel, especially with some of the quality fab jobs some of the mp3car members have pulled off, and you could get exactly what you wanted.

maybe that's still "cheating" by some people's standards, but personally I think paying some other hobbyist who really knows what they're doing is still cooler than buying a "one-size-fits-all" prefabbed one (if it doesn't really match the interior) or taking it to some body shop or something to have it done.
                  But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
                  Originally posted by Viscouse
                  I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
                  eegeek.net

Comment

Originally posted by evandude
                    ...personally I think paying some other hobbyist who really knows what they're doing is still cooler than buying a "one-size-fits-all" prefabbed one (if it doesn't really match the interior) or taking it to some body shop or something to have it done.
                    I agree completely.. if you don't feel comfterable doing it yourself, find someone who will do the work that will make it to your standards. I don't consider that cheating, pre-fab almost seems like cheating, but really.. there aren't any codes for custom work designed to the way you want it!

Eitherway, I think a vette with a custom screen will look pretty neat, and probably will shame me in the quarter mile too! haha dammnnn
                    (Picture) - me doing a wheelie on my ty 175

Comment

I'm in the same boat here but I have to agree I don't like one size fits all solutions that much. I mean at times it makes sense. I'm into customization as I've done a lot with my audio and I'm still not done.

I wish I could do this stuff myself but I like my installs to look professional and almost like stock. The ONLY way I know I'm going to achieve that is by having a professional do it. It costs a lot of money but I also know that if it doesn't look the way I want it I won't be happy.

I'm currently in the process of getting my car pc project up and started and I still have one more issue to resolve; "who's going to do my custom dash (well the radio section for the LCD anyway) the way I want it" and how much is it going to cost. The shop I use here is not cheap and they do a pretty good job. Their rate is like $75 an hour, ouch and I know doing something like this is going to run my bill high.

I have my design in mind and I know exactly what I want but now I have to find out how I'm going to achieve that goal without breaking the bank and getting a divorce with my wift!!

You have to do what you need to do to make YOU happy. Now I still need to find somone to do this for me. Any takers?

PROGRESS 95%[//////////]Complete - Software configurations
                      Current Task: Just adding on...
                      Needed:wireless keyboard/mouse
                      My Carputer Blog
                      Car System Site

Comment

The Vette has a din and a half opening. I doubt if you find anything at all pre made for it. I've just started on my PC setup and had to do considerable mods to the dash surround. I had to delete the ashtray, move the AC controls down, etc. Added the gauge pods too.

Here's a pic showing the 700TSV being fitted. The slot on the left is for a 4 port USB hub.

Comment

looking nice!

PROGRESS 95%[//////////]Complete - Software configurations
                          Current Task: Just adding on...
                          Needed:wireless keyboard/mouse
                          My Carputer Blog
                          Car System Site

Comment

GB_Vette - I am working on just about the same thing on my C5. I bought the headrest bucket for the Xenarc monitor and I'm molding that into place in the dash bezel. That was I can pop out the monitor if the need be. I really like your usb hub idea.

Comment

Originally posted by c5ragtop
                              GB_Vette - I am working on just about the same thing on my C5. I bought the headrest bucket for the Xenarc monitor and I'm molding that into place in the dash bezel. That was I can pop out the monitor if the need be. I really like your usb hub idea.
                              Thanks! Actually I'm doing the same thing using the headrest housing. I'm just fitting the opening here, I'm putting the housing in from the back and then finishing everything off.

Comment

Working...
                              X