Plexi/Plastic Gurus :-) fabricating headlights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plexi/Plastic Gurus :-) fabricating headlights

hey guys wssup! well heres the deal... i orderd some civic projector headlights which im going to be hacking up and fabricating into a custom headlight housing for my bike

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT

my housing is half plastic and half glass yes real GLASS and it weighs around 10-15 pounds... what i want to do is recreate the front glass part using plexi or somesort of clear liteweight material.... then i want to fiberglass the back after this i hope it weighs around 5 pounds haha

leme know what do u guys think is the best way to get this one.... thanks

btw i dont want this thing to melt! lol its going to have 2 projector hologens soon to be hid's for low beams and then for highbeams its going to have some normal cool blue ebay bulbs and then i might throw in some projector foglights... so yeah thats the setup! thanks!

best way to do it is to do this:
    step 1. take lenses and whole housing off
    step 2. walk into kitchen
    step 3. open garbage can
    step 4. throw it away.

stop spending money on useless projects lol
    i got dat ***** sittin on 22s! SUPERMAN EDITION!

Comment

Originally posted by EsKALad
      best way to do it is to do this:
      step 1. take lenses and whole housing off
      step 2. walk into kitchen
      step 3. open garbage can
      step 4. throw it away.

stop spending money on useless projects lol

f u haha

Comment

Yo djX, I think I'd have to agree with Eskalad for the first time...
        Passenger vehicle headlights don't go on motorcycles. Period.
        For Sale: Carputer (CarPC) & RCA Y-Adapter
        Newsflash: Take a look at my unsold stuff above, thanks!
        Up Next: Make an OBD to Serial cable & Redo the "MMI buttons"

Comment

and ud wanna use polycarbonate.. nice n strong.

so it doesnt break when it gets thrown in the bin :P
          2005 Nissan Xtrail
          DFI 855GME-MGF - Celeron M 1.4GHz - 256Mb RAM - 200Gb SATA HDD - OPUS 150w - Xenarc 700TSV

worklog

Comment

no offence, but it's a 1995 gsxr 750. If you are worried about weight you shouldn't have bought it. IMHO, the difference in replacing / remanufacturing the headlights is a waste of time.
            Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
              GammaControl v2.4
              SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

nice find, those projectors were dirt cheap. If youre not going to do anything with them, I'll be interested in buying them from ya.

Comment

Originally posted by DJiK
                  Yo djX, I think I'd have to agree with Eskalad for the first time...
                  Passenger vehicle headlights don't go on motorcycles. Period.

not without some mods :-P its not like im going to fabricate the whole damn housing into it im just using the projectors inside of it

Comment

you might be able to lay the glass lense flat in your oven, then lay some plexi over it, then put the oven on the lowest heat setting. Turn the heat up slowly until it starts to soften and "fall" around the glass. Once complete turn off oven and let plexi cool back down.
                    2007 Honda Fit Sport 1.5L SOHC-VTEC

Comment

Originally posted by binary.h4x
                      you might be able to lay the glass lense flat in your oven, then lay some plexi over it, then put the oven on the lowest heat setting. Turn the heat up slowly until it starts to soften and "fall" around the glass. Once complete turn off oven and let plexi cool back down.
                      good idea. ? sounds like it would work, have you tried it?

Comment

i really wanna do this but im thinking... what if my projectors and stuff get too hot and melt the plexi? what my friend suggested was to just fiberglass the front and make 2 holes and mount the projectors ontop of eachotherlike a ducati but i like the glass way better

Comment

xenons do get hot, but I use them in plastic headlights without a problem..... that oven idea is exactly what I would have suggested too... should work great... I've done custom tailights like this, only over wooden molds.... should work the same over the original glass...
                          MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Originally posted by xdjxklusivex
                            hey guys wssup! well heres the deal... i orderd some civic projector headlights which im going to be hacking up and fabricating into a custom headlight housing for my bike

my housing is half plastic and half glass yes real GLASS and it weighs around 10-15 pounds... what i want to do is recreate the front glass part using plexi or somesort of clear liteweight material.... then i want to fiberglass the back after this i hope it weighs around 5 pounds haha

leme know what do u guys think is the best way to get this one.... thanks

btw i dont want this thing to melt! lol its going to have 2 projector hologens soon to be hid's for low beams and then for highbeams its going to have some normal cool blue ebay bulbs and then i might throw in some projector foglights... so yeah thats the setup! thanks!
                            WHat About the fact the the lense/cover of your bikes headlights are may/should/do have some sort of optical quality that you should not mess with.

Michael
                            ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiredwrx
                              WHat About the fact the the lense/cover of your bikes headlights are may/should/do have some sort of optical quality that you should not mess with.

Michael
                              its just glass :-P plus its not like im going to keep the original headlights so even if it did do something its not gonna help n e more

Comment

Working...
                              X