Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 Accord with Xenarc 700TSV bezel fabrication

Sizing it up

Had to dremel out some parts of the back so the screen bezel would sit flush

Epoxied into place

The back of the bezel

Applying the fiberglass bondo

I had Sin City to keep me company while sanding

Smoothed out a little bit, applied second layer of bondo

Base layer pretty much finished

Time for regular bondo filler

Almost done, just test fitting to see if screen and HVAC controls would fit

Ooh

And after many attempts at primer/spot putty for those damned divots, the paint

The hole is the IR receiver

After taking off the tape on my heat vents i found that there some was white primer in there. I then had to paint that area and reclearcoat it. It is currently drying. Hopefully my screen works when I put it back together

Looks Awsome! Good Job Man The Paint Came Out Hot What Kind Did U Use?

Comment

Very nice. Looks professional and OEM. Good job!

Comment

Awsome job. Ill be doing the same thing in a 98 on sunday.

Comment

Thanks guys. Good luck DOHCrazy

Originally posted by xdjxklusivex
          Looks Awsome! Good Job Man The Paint Came Out Hot What Kind Did U Use?
          Thanks, it was actually some black Rustoleum textured paint I had laying around. With the clearcoat and a little wetsanding it has a smooth but somewhat textured look and feel. The gaps aren't spread out as much as OEM but it works

Comment

hi guys

im gunna be doing a similair thing soonish. i have the same screen etc but into a Mitsubishi Magna ( i believe called diamantie for you guys )

whats this bondo stuff everyone uses and were can u buy it form.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC 96 TE Magna
              hi guys

im gunna be doing a similair thing soonish. i have the same screen etc but into a Mitsubishi Magna ( i believe called diamantie for you guys )

whats this bondo stuff everyone uses and were can u buy it form.
              I actually used 3 different kinds. (4 if you include the epoxy) That should be found at an automotive shop or home improvement shop.

1st i used epoxy glue just to hold the bezel in place. This is a clear gel stuff that you mix (comes in two tubes, 1 is hardener and 1 is resin) to make effective. You could also a glue gun or any other adhesive. It was basically just something to hold the bezel in place while i put the other stuff in.

2nd i layed Bondo with Fiberglass in it. (this is the greenish stuff) It's called Bondo-glass in some parts, or Bondo/Fiberglass etc. You also mix this stuff with a hardener then goop it on and wait for it to dry then sand it off. I picked this up at an automotive store (Napa) and i used the kind with short strands of fiberglass in it I think.

3rd: After I got a basic shape, i used regular bondo here. This can also be found at any automotive shop (commonly just called body filler). Same stuff as the previous step, just with no fiberglass bits in it. You have to mix with hardener as well. The advantage to this is it's easier to shape and form, but it also tends to a crack if applied in a flexible dash piece. I only used this after i had a basic shape done. This is a pinkish/whitish color, and you can see it's only in a few spots on top of the green stuff. This is just to fill minor spaces.

4th: After using a sandable primer i noticed very small divots. By this time you don't want to be waiting for bondo to dry etc to sand, so i used Glazing/Spot puddy. It's basically the same thing as bondo, but you don't have to mix with hardener. Dry in sun if you are working inside

That and some low grit, medium grit, and high grit sandpaper with a block for even sanding and you should be ready to go.

Comment

Clearcoat (I may sand this a little more) but it's pretty much done. Now onto the computer

Comment

thats a nice fab. good job, i just used that same rustoleum textured paint on my alty, yours looks darker than mine though...

Comment

nice job man. i had a 98 accord b4 the rsx, i did something real similar to what you did. i got a question for you, why did you use 2 difernt types of bondo?

Comment

Well i've heard the fiberglass bondo is less prone to crack. The tradeoff is that it's also harder to sand. So when i got the base layer done, i just used regular bondo to fill in the minor differences since i was sick of sanding. So now hopefully the baselayer won't crack since that's probably most prone to flex

Comment

ohok that makes sense. how much does bondo go for?

Comment

Hi Dracord, nice job on the screen.

Wanted to ask: I am planning to just fill the seams on my fabrication. Here is a pic of what my fab looks like right now.

Just to lightly fill the seam and sand, do you think the Glazing & Spot Putty will suffice? I've never worked with any of this stuff, but I am looking for a filler that is easy to apply with some precision, and also easy to sand. The idea is for me to apply it in a similar fashion to caulking a sink with sillicone, if you know what I mean.

2002 Honda CR-V
                          Carputer progress: 90% [▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ -]
                          Spent so far: $1105.90

Download the NEXUS Skin for Centrafuse
                          ...or even Listen to my music

Comment

Originally posted by godraj
                            ohok that makes sense. how much does bondo go for?
                            ~10-15 bucks with hardener

Comment

Originally posted by justintime
                              Hi Dracord, nice job on the screen.

Wanted to ask: I am planning to just fill the seams on my fabrication. Here is a pic of what my fab looks like right now.

Just to lightly fill the seam and sand, do you think the Glazing & Spot Putty will suffice? I've never worked with any of this stuff, but I am looking for a filler that is easy to apply with some precision, and also easy to sand. The idea is for me to apply it in a similar fashion to caulking a sink with sillicone, if you know what I mean.

I would honestly give the fiberglass bondo or regular bondo a try. The glazing/spot putty is nice for minute divots, but i don't think it would withhold the pressure of filling the seams. I tried using it for filling in the scrapes on my wheels and it just didnt adhere too well. Maybe i didn't have the proper surface for it to stick to, but regular bondo worked like a champ.

Bondo isn't really that hard to work with. It's all in the tools you use. In working with something like that you can apply the bondo into the seam with something small like a popsicle stick, wait like 5-10 minutes and scrape the excess off the top to minimize sanding. (at this point it has the texture of dried out dough and kind of flakes if ) use a sanding block to get a clean surface and go from low grit to high grit until the surface looks AND feels flush. I'm sure you could make up a little squeeze tube to apply to the seam like a caulking gun. However, the only difficult part about working with bondo is that you are working against the clock as soon as you mix it with the hardener.

Comment

Working...
                              X