Complete bolt in Screen/CPU/HD/PS - indash

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complete bolt in Screen/CPU/HD/PS - indash

Update Sept 2006 - Prototype Chassis Shipped out. AutoCAD drawing added to post 127.

Update Nov 2006 - Major Hardware and Software Revisions going on. New hardware starts at post 162.

Update Nov 21, 2006, Embedded OS deployed. Complete OS, Drivers, Frontend, GPS, & Maps at 850mb running on solid state flash memory.

Update Jan 2007 - Production Chassis Available

Update April 11, 2007 - HQCT module integration complete. Radio tuning software running on flash. FM/AM Loud and clear + RDS info works. *HQCT sold*

Update May 7th, 2007 - Custom RR Skin completed which integrates embedded OS functions and mimics OEM dash units.

Update June 19th, 2007 - Schematic Wiring Diagram of system is available. See post 318.

Update July 27th, 2007 - Detailed and documented modification to a stock xenarc monitor, modified to fit into an after market trim kit. Pics, procedures and helpful tips on doing this and a great xenarc resource. This was one of the most asked questions about my build, and probably the least documented. Sorry it took so long to get this information out, but a member of these boards recently hired me to do a build using the exact same parts so I was able to take more photographs and show my process to those curious about how its done. Starts at post 348

Update October 17, 2007 - Those interested in setting up XP to run from a compact flash please see post #420. I have attached a zip archive of some great instructions and the files you will need to make a read only bootable install of windows.

Update Dec 10, 2007 - HD radio integration complete. You can see the progress unfold starting at post #470. Major software update complete to support HD, newest version of roadrunner and directx iList support. Media Launch support added, can add USB, CD, DVD and RR will auto-mount device, determine media type, launch appropriate skin for playback. It works great if you just want to throw and album on a USB flash then all you do is plug it into the car and the PC handles the rest.

Update Jan 5, 2009 - The mustang lease is done and the vehicle has been returned to the dealer today. The PC has performed flawlessly for the last two years (since dec 10th!! 2007) I was sad to see it go but time to start a new chapter. The PC was pulled and parted out as I bought a brand new Dodge truck and this setup will no longer work. This has been a great experience and version 2 is in the works for my new truck. I'm glad I could provide service, tips, tricks and parts to the community. Please read on as the information is still all here for everyone to read.

If you are interested in some of the parts you can check them out here

**Original Post**

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I decided to build the computer as complete as possible so that it can be bolted directly into the dash like the OEM radio. I've still got some parts to install but they will all fit - (TIGHT!) The gutted screen in the pics is a "Super" touchscreen from ebay. I love this screen, I've taken the thing apart all the way. Disconnected all the wires, even soldered longer backlight wires to reach to the now horizontally mounted LCD controller board. Removed the speaker and headphone jack. relocated the switch board. Screen still works perfect. I cut the bezel of the 'super' and epoxy-ed it into a trim kit for my car. Plastic epoxy i used is insane it dries rock hard and the plastic i glued will NEVER separate. I used to use this stuff to make potato guns and It held even under hot high-p.s.i. explosions. Package says its good for 3500 Lbs per square inch, I believe this should hold. Fabbed up the white 'chassis' part of this PC with, you guessed it, .063 finished white aluminum. The bars running across the top are square dowel hardwood sections. They are screwed to the metal and the screen controller board is screwed to them. I don't want to ground out that board because it was never grounded from the factory (plastic case) and I don't want ground feedback in my display. I have yet to mount the HD or the PS. I have room in there to mount both but I have not got to it yet. I will be mounting a small 4 channel amp under this setup (im lucky to have A LOT of room in dash) What I have finished so far runs perfect and everything works. I def. had a big sigh of relief when it booted right up, you just never know after disassembling electronics, staring at a pile of parts for a few days and doing all kinds of custom fabbing if everything is going to function properly. I'm happy to say that my setup did just that. Ill keep the thread updated as I progress, should not be too much longer until this PC will be assuming duty of mp3's, Nav, dvd's, FM, OBD-II interfacing, wireless networking. Questions and comments are welcome
    Attached Files
    Build Things, it keeps your brain busy.

AutoPC v1 (Retired) - AutoPC v2 (in progress) - www.shocknet.us

more pics
    Attached Files

Comment

1 more, booting!
      Attached Files

Comment

that's cool - looks exactly like the Subaru drop in kit that was developed here as well. Will this drop directly into your Mustang?

Did you say you have another thread detailing how you made this case? More info/pics on this case would be appreciated. Do you have any pics or info of the 'trim kit' that you used for your car to make this?
        Attached Files
        www.mobile-effects.com

Free file hosting, picture gallery hosting for installs, PM me.

Internet's first Front End Skin browser, featured installs, downloads, links, informative articles - all free to registered users.

Comment

Also, can you list all the hardware you have in there? (mobo, hard drive, HD size, etc...)
          www.mobile-effects.com

Free file hosting, picture gallery hosting for installs, PM me.

Internet's first Front End Skin browser, featured installs, downloads, links, informative articles - all free to registered users.

Comment

The case that I made orginally can be found here:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66643

You can see it in the backround of some of my pics. I fabbed the chassis for this project the same way, using the same tools.

The Trim kit is made by Metra, is available at circuit city, part # 99-5807. Its a standard double DIN trim kit. I did not modify this trim kit at all, and yes this whole setup is a bolt in affair, which means I can return to OEM at any time because the car will be unmodified.

Hardware specs:

Via Epia M10000 m.b.
            512 pc2100 samsung RAM
            Super TouchScreen
            80 gig laptop drive
            m2-atx P.S.
            slim DVD drive (after i figure out where to put one, glovebox?)
            D-Link 802.11b wireless networking PCI card

Software Specs:

Windows XP pro corporate, running minlogon, booting directly into:
            Custom Roadrunner frontend
            M.S. Streets and Trips 2006
            Diagnose 3.2 (OBD-II)
            DVD codec from winDVD 5.0
            winamp 2.95 with large visuazation library

approx 60 Gigabytes of media

Comment

Looks good man....

I might try to jamb the stuff in there in my Corvette.

Nick
              2002 Twin Turbo ZO6
              2005 Hummer H2

Comment

Originally posted by BLOWNZO6_pc
                Looks good man....

I might try to jamb the stuff in there in my Corvette.

Nick
                Great looking product, I have a c5 vette with some room in the dash, but I dont think enough. Also with the amount of heat that I can feel in the dash I dont think I can try something like this without some serious heat shielding....Amazing though, great work! BlownZ06 I love your install and will most likely model mine just like yours

Comment

I wonder if that Metra Ford Kit will work in a Scion XB double din

Comment

Looks great! I have the same screen... can't beat what it does for the price! I also extended my backlight wiring so that the board can be placed horizontally and mounted it into the hollowed out 2 din cage of my stock deck. Congrats on stuffing everything inside! I'm opting to put the machine in the trunk, that way I don't have to worry about noise or anything of the sort.

Comment

Well the build is still going good, I ended up going with an 80 gig 3.5 inch drive instead of the 2.5. Black Top western digital. I have the power and the space so i figured 'why not?' These updated pics are mostly me doing software configuration. This little via PC is running really good, I love brand new harddrives. Oh yes VERY IMPORTANT*** The 'coilpack' on the circuit board for these little screen is generating some voltage/amperage, I put my finger on it to see if it was warm and BAM painful blue arc from the coilpack, and a capicitor next to it, into my finger. Didn't effect the screen or display in the least just keep on going. I was in shock for a few minutes like what the hell just happened?? Lucky thing I did not fry anything. ::learns lesson about touching live circuits - even if they are low voltage:: Anyways I downloaded the pdf's on how to pull apart my interior and I will be ordering the m2-atx this weekend. Then I can finally put it in my car!! ::excitement brewing!: For now im just adding mad songs and getting everything perfect so I dont have to mess with it once it is installed (hopefully) Also I took pics of the screen with and without flash as im sure you can tell from the pics. Its hard to photograph bright light sources.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Navagation, (****ty camera can only capture night maps)
                        Attached Files

Comment

Well finally did the test fit last night and I cannot believe how good this fits. I also cannot believe ow much room is in my dash!! I ended up fabbing 2 more plates at work today. One is a top cover with a lip on the back so I can put the OEM 'nub'(look at the pics) on it and slide it right into place. The other is a H.D. mount made to hold the harddrive at a flat horizontal plane. This will attach to the top plate with some rubber washers in between the bolts and plates to add some dampening. Not much, just enough to absorb engine vibration and such. The HD will sit perfect on top the PC with room to spare. Here are some pics along with the OEM radio. So far I have not modified anything in my car. I removed the power outlet in the center console and im going to use that hole to have a USB extension and ethernet crossover cable poking out. (just in case i need to add files /temp hardware etc.
                          Attached Files

Comment

heres a teaser of the install, please excuse the extremely smudged/fingerprinted up screen. I cleaned it today Again i was just test fitting things today, not installed yet. I ordered my final component, the m2-atx earlier today. Should be here thursday at which time I will have everything I need ready to go including amps, wiring, signal cables, etc. Should be jammin out to 60 gigs of media by the weekend
                            Attached Files

Comment

very nice work..
                              whats the black surround around the screen made from?
                              View My Blog

Click for 2GB FREE on-line storage!

Comment

Working...
                              X